With the festive season upon us, you’re no doubt feeling busier than ever—balancing your personal and professional life with holiday parties, family commitments, and a hectic workload. At this time of year, it’s easy to get caught up in the chaos, so as always Skype is a great way to catch up with friends and loved ones around the world. We’ve been listening to your feedback on Skype for desktop, and today we are rolling out new Skype features for your Windows 10 PC.
Productive communications on your Windows 10 desktop
Skype is designed to work seamlessly with Windows 10. It comes installed on your PC with the latest Windows 10 update, and you can use all your favorite Skype features—such as group video calls and screen sharing. This latest update also includes some brand-new features to help you get more done on your PC.
- Gallery—We’ve all had moments of frustration trying to find that holiday photo from your sister or struggling to find that hilarious video of cats wearing reindeer sweaters that your friend shared. The Gallery helps you easily retrieve shared content including files, links, and media. Just click Gallery in a chat to find and access them fast.
- Notification panel—If you’ve started feeling a little left out of the loop with your book club or a family round robin, the Notification panel in Skype helps you catch up on reactions to your messages, @mentions in group conversations, or find out if someone has quoted you recently. Click the message in the Notification panel to jump right back into the conversation.
- Status updates are back—Change your presence status to let colleagues, friends, and family know when you are and aren’t available to chat. Or set a mood message to share what’s going on and spread festive cheer.
- Search—We improved the search function. Search now checks all your individual and group chats, so you can find that Sunday supper menu that Mom sent you last week.
Quick access to those who matter the most with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
Alongside the new Skype update, you can take advantage of brand-new Windows 10 features, designed to keep you connected and creative.
- My People—The My People feature in Windows 10 helps put the “who” into your Skype communications. Pin your most important contacts, like your bestie or boss, directly to your Windows 10 taskbar and message and share things with them more easily in Skype. You can even drag and drop files right onto their icons in the taskbar then share via Skype.
- Skype in Windows Mixed Reality—Communicate in your virtual reality world using Skype. Talk to friends while playing a game, watching a 3D movie, or teleporting to Machu Picchu with HoloTour—no need to stop what you’re doing to take a call. You can also share what you can see in your Windows Mixed Reality world with others over a video call.
If you’ve chosen to have updates installed automatically on your Windows 10 device, you don’t have to do anything—these new features will roll out automatically to you through Windows Update. Or you can manually check for updates on your personal PC if you don’t want to wait. Just go to the Microsoft Store and search for Skype. As always, please join us in the Skype Community and send us your feedback by clicking on your profile picture and selecting Send feedback.