Microsoft will acquire Skype

I’m excited to announce that Skype and Microsoft have entered into a definitive agreement whereby Microsoft will acquire Skype for $8.5 billion US. It is an exciting day for all of us at Skype – we’ve taken a significant step towards realising our vision of making the world a better, more connected place.

I believe this acquisition is the very best way to extend Skype’s reach and will allow us to bring real-time video and voice communications to more people around the world than ever before. The combination of Skype and Microsoft will directly benefit all of you who use Skype by ushering in a new era of generative ways for everyone to communicate.

What I love most about this company are the people. Not only the team here at Skype and our partners, but everyone like you who uses Skype every day – you are the people who have made Skype what it is.

Subject to regulatory approvals and customary closing conditions, Skype will operate as a new business division of Microsoft, and I look forward to working with the team as president of Microsoft Skype to write the next chapter of the Skype story. Onwards!

0 thoughts on “Microsoft will acquire Skype

1. seldan96 said 5 years ago

WHYYYYYYYYYYYY? I think i will stop using skype…

2. sylkohli said 5 years ago

Oh, noooooooooooooooooooooooooo…

3. helloooooomate said 5 years ago

Okay… That means the PS3 will never get skype. What a massive disappointment.

4. lvader said 5 years ago

Microsoft is known to be quite hostile environment to other operation systems and platforms. Does that deal means and of support for Skype on other platforms (Mac/Linux/Android/iPhone/…) ?

5. foxthemad said 5 years ago

There goes Skype as a free service…

6. maria.barrios. said 5 years ago

Bring “Skype me” back, please? =)

7. zauberexonar said 5 years ago

And yet, won’t this leave Mac and Linux users looking for alternatives when Microsoft kills support for both platforms and makes Skype a Windows-only application?

8. aneeshjoseph said 5 years ago

It is a sad news !! Another chance to show the Monopoly of Microsoft ..

9. oli-... said 5 years ago

Wanted Google to buy it for Android! -.- ..but hmm lets see how it goes..

10. margot.douglas said 5 years ago

I hope you keep this free to all the users of Skype – otherwise we will leave & find an alternative.

Regards.
    Margot.

11. kevinsandlin said 5 years ago

Uggh. I’ve been using Skype for more years than I can remember, and this announcement just makes me sad. That said, I shall continue to enjoy Skype, until such time as the Borg swallows you up and inserts you into the bloated machines that are Windows and Office and, God help us all, Windows Phone. Sigh. Sniff sniff. I’ll miss you.

12. margot.douglas said 5 years ago

Regards.
    Margot.

13. cyberalyman said 5 years ago

So I assume this will involve merging MSN and Skype, or something along those lines? Maybe some tight integration with Windows Phone 7? Either way it can’t be a bad thing. Unless they drop Mac support, but how stupid would that be?

14. dietyyli said 5 years ago

I guess this means I can forget Fedora 64bit binary? =P

15. totoorozco said 5 years ago

I hope is for the best of Skype! Let’s see…

16. cbsksnyder said 5 years ago

Boo…hiss……
    I hope they keep it a free service and don’t try to put a bunch of darn pop ups and adverts on it like every other site/service Microsoft offers.

17. akshay.rajopadhye said 5 years ago

Hopefully now the Skype users will get to call their loved once without any interruption and will enjoy using it for it’s services.

18. mr-lj-the-dj said 5 years ago

why? why would you sell it to microsoft, of all companies. just like the 2010 release of msn. they will try to jazz it up only to fail and destroy skype :'(

19. cronosrv said 5 years ago

R.I.P skype

20. mduchesneau said 5 years ago

I do not like this.I don’t usually complain, but this… no.

21. alex_francal said 5 years ago

Bad news… Hope skype don’t became slow like Microsoft products…

22. bensymington said 5 years ago

That is so AWESOME,

I definitely am one who agrees that this will be a great partnership!

Well done!

Ben Symington

23. bensymington said 5 years ago

That is so AWESOME,

I definitely am one who agrees that this will be a great partnership!

Well done!

Ben Symington

24. p_a_v_k_a_t_a said 5 years ago

This is disgusting! I can imagine how Skype will no longer be free and I will have to say ‘goodbye’ to my favourite way of getting in touch with people .

25. qonos68 said 5 years ago

You’re excited. I’m not. Microsoft products suck.

26. timmillwood said 5 years ago

Oh dear!

27. pinapplepalmtree said 5 years ago

The Skype clients are out of sync already. I fear that Skype for Mac will be in for it’s worst after this. A great example is windoze live. Great windoze client and yet poor Mac client. Maybe FaceTime and SMS is the future…

28. daryl_byrne said 5 years ago

i really dont agree with this with the grade of msn and its video calling is skype’s video quality gunna go to pot now?

29. abdullah_aslam said 5 years ago

Cooolll!!! And specially the name look so cool, Microsoft skype!!

30. bogomilshopov said 5 years ago

Fuck you and fuck Microsoft! I mean it, it’s not an usual spam post!

31. sandjmac1 said 5 years ago

Not convinced!

32. the.countess.ferraioli said 5 years ago

Oh NO There is nothing free at Microsoft what will become of us? This can not be a good thing!

33. fadzit said 5 years ago

That’s great!!

34. pafflick said 5 years ago

That is a good news. Especially that – as I heard – Google and Facebook was also interested. From that three companies I definitely prefer Microsoft…

35. mindpulses said 5 years ago

I just hope you’ll keep developing Skype for Linux so that this will not be remembered as a bad day for all of us…

36. incorrect.78 said 5 years ago

That’s great, how do I delete my account?

37. tim_holthaus1836 said 5 years ago

Pity! I think, there is nothing to add.

38. patchandsharon said 5 years ago

this is such bad news shame on you

39. alex_francal said 5 years ago

Bad bad bad bad new… Hope skype don’t suffer on Microsoft hands. They are expert in create bugs in good products.

40. pvince81 said 5 years ago

I am a full time Linux user and this comes as a big surprised today. I hope this won’t mean the end of Skype for Linux.

41. szitac said 5 years ago

Eh.. “Microsoft Skype”??

Although I don´t dislike Microsoft per-se, I don´t rely on it´s products.
    Constant patches and security faults are something that Skype users don´t need. (Enough is dealing with the O.S.)

Business is Business anyway, but I still regret the desition.

42. mikkel.thygesen1 said 5 years ago

Please don’t! Microsoft bought MSN Messenger, and I only changed to Skype because MSN was getting bad! In design AND over-spamming of ads.

43. jamjaws said 5 years ago

Worst news i have heard in a long time..

44. ash-fox said 5 years ago

This honestly concerns me. Microsoft has many competing divisions where Skype is currently used. Their operating system division, where they compete against Linux. Their mobile phone division, where they compete against BlackBerry, iPhone and Android products.

I fear this could mean Microsoft’s eventual phase out of Skype in competing products for other divisions, which would be problematic for myself and likely many other users.

45. phelipe said 5 years ago

Congratulations. I’m Skype user since the first day, the “Microsoft Skype Division”must have the independence like the XboX and Zune divisions to get the success like Kinect division. Please don’t let us down, mainly Mac OS and iOS users. Now it’s time to launch Skype for Windows Phone 7.

46. airodinamic said 5 years ago

Just wondering what exactly will happen with skype? Will become Microsoft Skype with ribbon interface, or will be integrated with Windows Live Messenger. Will be a new client software, integration with live, bing, etc. I hope they dont integrate Live Messenger and Sky

47. jinconti said 5 years ago

That´s good news. Perhaps it answers a bit of what I posted on your Facebook page a few days ago, which I havent got any answers by the way. Does this mean I´ll now have Skype in my Windows Phone or at least in my blackberry with OS7? Now, I really hope Microsoft don´t mess with your great vision and services you guys had been giving us. Really hope this is for good.

48. djdpascoe said 5 years ago

I would really like to believe that you believe what you are saying about extending the reach of Skype and make it better but I fear that is either naive or… well we shall see…

Given that M$ will be pushing to have Skype integrated into Xbox and WM7 phones how will this impact the continued development of Skype on what will now be competitor platforms? Will the Android version ever get video calling? Will the Mac desktop version be updated at the same time as the PC version? Will Skype on iPhone continue? Will Skype ever get a chance to extend onto, say PS3?

Given the ferociousness of the battle with Microsoft and Apple on the PC and Microsoft, Google and Apple on phones (and to some extent the battle between Microsoft and Sony on the home console) I really can’t see Microsoft being overly altruistic when this acquisition gives them a perceived competitive advantage.

I don’t (and never will) own an Xbox or WM phone but I use Skype to keep in contact with my family on the other side of the world, so this news really troubles me.

49. causticcasualty said 5 years ago

in other words… skype sold out,,, it’s not going over to microsoft who is going to try and PROFIT off of it as much as possible and make things shittier like they always do… like.. MSN >windows live? yeah WINDOWS LIVE is shit ever since microsoft bought it.. it had been GARBAGE, gets worse with every version that comes out, and SKYPE will be no exception … LOL and skype reports this as good news! yeah 8.5 billion in there pocket and desert there users to deal with a selfish greedy company such as microsoft, YEAH skypes gunna be better MY ASS

50. airodinamic said 5 years ago

So what exactly will happen to skype? Become Microsoft Skype with Ribbon Interface and integrity with Windows Live Messenger, Live, Bing, etc, etc or will be a part of Windows Live Messenger?

51. radchad291 said 5 years ago

So, what does this mean for us Linux users? Are we going to eventually loose Skype?

52. barrymeadowtop said 5 years ago

So where will that leave Skype for Linux development?

53. lestorck said 5 years ago

Sounds good! Mr. Bates – please get in touch with captioning advocates in the CCAC soon – a volunteer grass-roots international membership. Your exciting news suggests new ideas and products. We’d love to have your voice in our forums. Join from our web, ccacaptioning.org, or email ccacaptioning@gmailcom.
    LS/CCAC

54. marcelleal2 said 5 years ago

“will allow us to bring real-time video and voice communications to more people around the world”. Sorry, you should say “less”.

You’re wrong. The first thing MS will do is to delete any Linux and Nokia version (which I use everyday).

They did that in all the companies they have bought in the past and will do with Skype, to try a monopoly with Windows 7 and Windows Phone 7. It’s MS 101.

I already know I will soon be an ex-Skype user.

55. duda2099 said 5 years ago

They will rename it as “Microsoft Live Skype VoIP Technology for Consumers But Also Premium And Semi-Premium Business Clients Professional Deluxe Edition 3000 XP with Lasers”.

I bet !

56. dj-deskjetc said 5 years ago

My only worry is that prices will go up instead of down and the quality of the skype services will decrease. I suppose only time will tell.

57. vktemp said 5 years ago

Skype was the only messenger that combined video and IM that were encrypted and that were interoperable not only on computers with all types of OSs but also with dedicated devices, TV sets, cellphones, and 3Skype phone that allowed users to call and be called for free from their mobile phone in those countries.

Microsoft on the other hand penetrated the IM market in early 2000s by simply incorporating their own windows messenger into WindowsXP, without including any competitors or initially allowing interoperability. A practice Microsoft is very well known for when its Server and Outlook products are concerned. Live messenger as it is called now (after it changed its name twice) routes all user communications to its Redmond servers, where people are supposed to assume that their privacy is kept. In LANs, with the help of inexpensive hardware and software, people are able to eavesdrop of other people’s IMs without them knowing…

Skype that has a client base in terms of 100s of millions is letting Microsoft take control of the way they communicate, of the way their personal information’s confidentiality is kept, and of the way the Skype’s interoperability with Microsoft’s competitors will be managed.

This is shaping up to be the worst thing that happened in the IT sector since computer manufacturers began relying on deceptive advertising at the expense of R&D.

58. abresas said 5 years ago

So, as Microsoft will definitely screw it up, our team will have to leave Skype soon.

Great.

59. vessosa said 5 years ago

Good bye skype

60. visualidiot said 5 years ago

I guess I’ll be going back to iChat, then.

61. iamniketas said 5 years ago

In all that sad story I can only say “Damn you, Google, for not buying Skype out of that”.

62. i-gcompany said 5 years ago

Hope Microsoft will do a good job with Skype!

63. hamtaro98 said 5 years ago

“…will directly benefit all of you who use Skype…”. tell me!

64. puzzleland said 5 years ago

What a bad news ! what’s wrong with you guys ? Microsoft ? Seriously ?!!!

65. kunoichidee said 5 years ago

What does this mean for us behind a Mac? Will you still consider Mac users as an important segment??

66. simas.96 said 5 years ago

What about linux? Will they stop developing for it?

67. rickstv said 5 years ago

I’m sad to hear this.

68. pravishiva1 said 5 years ago

I have set up a website to organise a BOYCOTT of Skype, to stop the Usurping Power of Microsoft. You have lost an enormous amount of goodwill, if not total confidence of consumers. By becoming a Microsoft SLAVE you have lost……many consumers already.
    It seems only money counts in your capitalist mindset. The word will be spread, thank you and until never again !!

69. losteskimo said 5 years ago

Love SKYPE, been using it since it was SKYPER, but have mixed emotions about this sale to microsoft. I hope it works out

70. jackmiller341 said 5 years ago

good for you! but are macs still going to be able to use it

71. paranoide.schizophrenia said 5 years ago

I hope the product’s quality gets improved! Nonetheless a Skype branded from Microsoft seems weird to me, hope they don’t include ads like they have done with Live Messenger. Skype is one of the few salvations of Microsoft after Google being a big competitor.

72. guille125 said 5 years ago

Doesnt sound so good for US, mac users, lets hope you dont abandond us.

73. ian_hawdon said 5 years ago

Does this mean it’s now safe to say that the Linux version is now officially dead? Very disappointed if it is!

74. raket94 said 5 years ago

Great, you made me cry..

75. jolanta.m.feliciano said 5 years ago

You are happy about it? Really? Another corporate monopoly of Microsoft!!!! Did you ever realize that many people signed up for Skype as an alternative to other means of communication. Now even Skype will be controlled by American corporation; we will have to pay fees on everything (standard Microsoft practice); pay taxes on it; allow government access to our conversations and contacts. It is a shame that Skype would sell its soul for American dollars.

76. johnh123456 said 5 years ago

So much for video calling rolling out for android phones.

77. meowwang said 5 years ago

$8.5 billion! I could only spend $1 on my breakfast.

78. mcbaumann said 5 years ago

… and no doubt it will become increasingly difficult to use skype with anything but a Windows-based system. Time to start looking for an alternative!

79. mitch.clayton.cragg said 5 years ago

‘Microsoft Skype’, hmmmm? … Well, to be honest, this precise ‘concept’ crossed my mind a few years ago… when I was wondering which IM and video-chat platform I was going to use as my future business (and family/friends) online communications standard. – Of course, I chose Skype… and have advocated the use thereof to everyone I know since then.

As I specialise in PC-based communications – and enabling others to more purposefully take advantage of their desk-top tools – I couldn’t be happier. Now I just wonder whether MS will drop their ‘MSN Messenger’ in favour of a proven favourite? Well done and good luck, guys!

80. shepperd1 said 5 years ago

Good luck to you. Now PLEASE put on somebodies desk the fact that Android tablet users are extreemly anxious to have video support for Skype. With the resources available this could be up and running in a very short time. I hope someone is listening. Obviously Android is a serious “threat” to Microsoft but on the otherhand it never hurts to create good will. In the long run this will pay off.

81. mr.elliott97 said 5 years ago

NOO! microsoft is fuckin’ up every thing the do !

82. jd_mccoy said 5 years ago

This is horrible. Im sure microsoft will start charging us or at the very least they will redesign skype so that there are a million toolbars. Heres an idea … only being able to use Microsoft webcams. Talk about a deal with the devil. Sad to see the change.

83. funkytux said 5 years ago

does this mean the development of Skype for Linux will be stopped after the acquisition? did you make an agreement so that SfL will be still available after the deal?

84. pfjtaylor said 5 years ago

I’m a Mac user. And I have a bad feeling about this.

85. jaywinx said 5 years ago

I guess that means bye bye Linux client That also means bye bye Skype for me.

86. guillame_trst said 5 years ago

That’s cool.
    I love skype, i love microsoft, that’s cool. -.-”

87. cd.word.jones said 5 years ago

Say it ain’t so!
    Why Microsoft?!?!?!?!?!

Anyone but Microsoft. Please. Skype will never be the same [and not in a good way].

88. trymbagger said 5 years ago

Tony: give me, and other mac users, some peace of mind: Will Microsoft Skype show the same level of commitment to development on the OS X and iOS platforms as before?

89. keitaro_gabliaven said 5 years ago

Please don’t cover Skype in Ads, the fact its clean, fast, efficient, safe and perfect for the corporate environment is why many of the business users, use it. Its the “adult” messenger… I wish Microsoft all the best on their purchase.

90. zippomon said 5 years ago

Ugh, I don’t like the sounds of this what-so-ever… the Mac and Linux versions of Skype are already lagging behind. This can’t help at all.

91. marknotton.com said 5 years ago

Does this mean Microsoft are going to limit Skypes functionality across Apple products? I hope not.

92. bgb_br said 5 years ago

Sad news what will happen to the Linux client?

93. remi.alvado said 5 years ago

Good news for Skype and Microsoft. I hope you will continue to develop Skype clients on every major platforms : desktop (Windows, MacOs and Linux) and mobile (WP7, Android and iOS).

94. aml240sx said 5 years ago

What will happen to Linux client?

95. jshado_1 said 5 years ago

If this happens I will discontinue use of skype. Microsoft’s products are some of the worst on the market, and it is all but certain that skype will be dragged down with them.

I currently use skype with clients, and it is reliable, but it very unlikely that this will continue if Microsoft acquires skype.

It is very unfortunate that you are selling yourself to such a sleazy and unreliable company.

96. ian.smith663 said 5 years ago

I’ve always felt comfortable using Microsoft (Windows), so should be a good result for customers

97. leonharbour said 5 years ago

This is bad news of the year.

98. wtnick said 5 years ago

What does this mean for Android/Linux support?

99. thedah19 said 5 years ago

Hope it stays free so we dont have to pay

100. zhukov_alex said 5 years ago

Are they going to kill Mac Skype and call it Windows Messenger?

101. binlog1 said 5 years ago

Will Microsoft ditch Qt in favour of .NET? What will happen to Skype’s platform independence?

102. jc_estrada said 5 years ago

it was a great alternative to work and make business; with useful tools.

Good Luck!

103. rebeccajay said 5 years ago

so Skype, will it now by microsoftlyspoken instead of skyping? Read the tweets – lots of unhappy people in the world – microsoft world domination marches on – Rupert Murdoch watch your back!

104. snapple42 said 5 years ago

So what does this mean for the average Linux User?

15 months for an update, do we give up now?

105. morpheouz said 5 years ago

Thank you for keeping us informed.
    So i will have to opt for another communication plattform soon.

regards Germain
    (Skype user @Linux for 5 years, @Android for 6 month)

106. pguise said 5 years ago

While it is great that a company grows prosperous enough to be seen as an asset to larger companies, I feel that this acquisition is bad news for Skype, as well as its users.
    It has been proven in the past that Microsoft has taken smaller companies’ ideas and either changed them to fit their structure, thus limiting or removing growth potential, or modified them to the point where no one wants to use the software/service.
    This acquisition, sadly, is not something that I can be happy about. I feel that your business has done well enough on its own and can continue along that path without the help of larger companies. Adding Microsoft into the mix will be a mistake, and one that will see the end of the Skype service that we have come to know and rely on for our voice/video chats.

107. skypeaxet said 5 years ago

Guys, you can forgot about Linux and Mac OSX versions.

SHIT!!

108. juankvillegas said 5 years ago

What will happen with Linux (and other non-Microsoft) version?

109. jfchadeyron said 5 years ago

Skype Linux Project is dead now…:(

110. joao.calistro said 5 years ago

Microsoft… well this make us on the Office very sad, we hope the Mac, iPhone and Linux versions not die and the good service you guys provide do not be contaminated by the M$ way.
    Keep the way you are Skype, please, we don’t want to check for new options, we want the Skype like they are today.
    Microsoft acquire Skype, sad, sad day.

111. justin.g.mitchell said 5 years ago

How is this going to affect Mac, Linux and Android users?

112. psyfag said 5 years ago

Cool, i have a question regarding support in non-windows OS’ (Mac, Linux, Android, iOS,…), you are still going to support them, right?

113. rogelio_gudino said 5 years ago

I can’t think of a single thing that would make Skype better with this acquisition, on the contrary, it can make things worst.

114. bloodywing1 said 5 years ago

What happens to the Mac and Linux client after MS acquire Skype?

115. ronniedb9 said 5 years ago

the worst decision you ever made! Skype is doomed…

116. aleandrok said 5 years ago

Bad news

117. robbekop1 said 5 years ago

I was really a satisfied user of Skype , so I hope it will be also in the near future ! Anyway congrat Microsoft !

118. dark_hell_gigabytes said 5 years ago

Well mac user I guess now is the time to save a version of Skype, before we enter the Window world with errors and crappy user experience, just like M$crosoft office for Mac…. Well thanks! a lot I am more than happy to say that I’ve been using it since it came out more or less, but as soon as it gets to the point it feels like a M$ product I will defiantly change to a different messaging client.

Simon.

119. turoldo81 said 5 years ago

How will that affect the development of skype for Linux?

120. alan.hilton said 5 years ago

As long time user of Skype the Microsoft takeoff fills me with dread. Will Skype be used as cash cow and change beyond recognition? I hope not but $8.5b has to come from some where?

121. vk7hse said 5 years ago

I’m curious as to what will happen to releases for Android, Linux & Mac OS as these are direct competition to Microsoft?

Will development continue or will they simply cease to exist?

122. witephyre said 5 years ago

This is exciting news for Skype, but I wonder how this buy-out will affect the Linux community. Microsoft is known for developing for only one other popular operating system, Mac OSX; however, Skype has played a major role in the development of Linux and helped to make it more popular. In fact, if my memory serves me correctly, Linux was one of the first platforms on which Skype was originally released. So the question is will Microsoft continue to support Linux distributions of Skype as well as the many varied mobile versions?

123. moobsmcguffin said 5 years ago

I’m a Mac user and I love to use Skype but I’m a bit worried that with the acquisition of Skype that the software for Skype will either change too drastically or will no longer be usable for Mac users. Will the Skype experience for Mac users be changed at all?

124. bee4god said 5 years ago

Crap. There goes the neighborhood and free services. Gates kills all he touches.

125. tallet70 said 5 years ago

Congratulations Tony

Better Microsoft then Google or Facebook these days.

Don´t let the Windows team mess up your source codes, we like that Skype don´t crash

126. marian.borisov said 5 years ago

man, that sucks alot…

127. mastino9605 said 5 years ago

perchè!!!! why!!!!!!

128. ggl102 said 5 years ago

Bad news!!!

129. simon.bouchard1982 said 5 years ago

Worst news of the day… I’ll close my skype account.

130. guymanuel5541 said 5 years ago

Good for you, Tony! Figure out how we, mere mortals, will do from now on…

131. aaron-homeyard1 said 5 years ago

How a about a completely new version of skype, Bring back change wallpaper options and skype pictures.

Thanks. AH

132. herrera.edgar said 5 years ago

wise decisions and social support are priceless,..

133. artruist said 5 years ago

Hey Tony, this is Yuri from Ukraine, I’m happy you’re doing a double dip, now with Microsoft. It will be fun to run Microsoft Skype on my Mac! Anyways, off to business, I’ve been a Skype user for ages and actively promoted it to my friends and colleagues making it a standard of communication where my foot stepped in.

So, now that you enjoy $8.5BB US, isn’t it time to give back, how about allocating a tiny bit of .0001% of the deal for Yuri? That’s only 850 grand. It’d cool for Skype to PR by giving it to me. Hope your greedy PR & Marketing team won’t erase this message and I’ll get my check. Hahaha. P.S. Actually I’ll do for .00005%, too if you hesitate about .0001.

134. sam-stern said 5 years ago

So how will this impact me? Will I find my call history posted to the web without my permission? Sold to Microsoft “subsidiaries” and resold without recourse?

135. kokonoula said 5 years ago

And what will happen with those people who use skype but do not use Windows?
    I guess you will stop providing skype to them.

136. daas171 said 5 years ago

It’s a shame… I don’t like the direction of microsoft and its products…

137. alcarohtarainu said 5 years ago

Cool!!! Finally someone to hear what users think and refactor the useless and painful Skype for Mac 5.0 interface!

138. sc0ttkclark said 5 years ago

In the words of RuPaul, “Good luck… and don’t **** it up!”

🙂

139. rogiel said 5 years ago

Good… now I can stop using Skype once and for all!

140. mishmichster said 5 years ago

I am not excited, mainly because I tend not to use Microsoft products, mainly because I believe people should have freedom of choice in terms of platform, OS, and applications, and prefer open source where available. Since the Windows 7 SP2 update made my W7 installation irrecoverable, I use Linux rather than Windows. I use Maemo on my mobile device rather than WP7, and can only envisage using something similar in the future. I can’t believe that a MS owned division will be maintaining Skype for Linux (not sure about Apple) – which will effectively force people to choose WP7/8 if they want to use Skype. That limits choice, and freedom. Of course, if I am wrong, and you can assure me that this will not happen – I’d be pleased to hear about that.

141. rlmonkey said 5 years ago

Does this mean you will now have the cash to update the Linux version?

142. survivorsuresh said 5 years ago

Skype is an amazing Service, U can Rock independently… But not sure why you are joining Hands with Microsoft.

143. russianspi said 5 years ago

Well, it looks like the end of the line for those of us who used Skype on Linux and Mac. I understand the payoff for Skype, but I’m sad to see it go this way. Thanks for the memories.

144. tony.galano1 said 5 years ago

They WILL keep the free Skype to Skype calls.

Or else!

145. macjuan said 5 years ago

Congrats to investors who took (seeminly a big) risk and got their money back with intrest. Please, do try to protect the people working for you so that they feel at home at Microsoft and continue to contribute to Skype’s fantastic future. As a former Skyper I have seen owners come and go but the spirit has persisted regardless of the top level storms. Hope is no strategy but I wish you and whole Skype team best of success and luck for the future.

146. eloeko said 5 years ago

That is it! Bye, bye Skype.

147. pinapplepalmtree said 5 years ago

The clients are out of sync enough. I fear that Skype for Mac will not do so well because of this. A perfect example is windoze live. A great windoze client and yet such a lacking Mac application. I really hope this does not hinder the Mac client, and even Linux for those who use it. Maybe FaceTime and SMS are the future… Thanks to Google Voice and Apple this is possible.

148. chrisainsworth said 5 years ago

and whatch Skype become bloated and embedded into other applications – time to strt looking elsewhere ……

149. dwayne.deremer1 said 5 years ago

Why is Microsoft interested in buying Skype anyway?

150. danw3108 said 5 years ago

I See what will happen here…

Microsoft’s Call features from Live Messenger will be enhanced, and Skype slowly integrated into Live Messenger, until Skype is no more.

Skype been acquired by anyone is the last thing I wanted to hear when I woke up today; The second Microsoft own this place, I’m Gone. Goodbye from a once-happy, Microsoft-opposed Customer!

151. garnettg said 5 years ago

It was fun while it lasted. Thanks for the fish!

152. onaprayer said 5 years ago

Will Skype now be a publicly traded company, thrown to the perils of Wall Street? They say change is good but It will be sad if we say good bye to the easy and long familiar format or is cheapened with advertising and glitz. There is a sense of pride in using Skype to bring communication to even the remotest part of the world. Or to just chat with a friend or a loved one. May it stay simple and useful and Tony, I hope you get rich.

153. voidnull79 said 5 years ago

great… another service/product for Microsoft to ruin.

154. sari_barazi said 5 years ago

Congratulations..

155. magom3rl1n said 5 years ago

Uninstalling Skype…

156. kiwibrazuca said 5 years ago

I lament the news that Microsoft bought Skype. It is another example of the Evil Empire oppressing or acquiring all independent software developers. I guess this means that the quality of Skype for Mac will decline. I guess it means that, inevitably, the Skype GUI and protocol will merge with Window$ Live Messenger. I guess it means that the robustness of the code will deteriorate. Oh, yeah, the corporate spin doctors will deny what we know to be true. What are my options for migration to another instant messenger?

157. diesel.wolf said 5 years ago

Wow, looks like I’ll be ditching my skype account too then. I got rid of windows live FOR A REASON! I anticipate skype going the same way. This is a sad day

158. dj-coste said 5 years ago

I have been using Skype for the past 5 years, it’s great and I love it but these are sad news and I will no longer be using it anymore.

159. yahooeny said 5 years ago

So… what’s going to happen with the Linux version? You guys never update it! Come on, dawg, be a pal!

160. torresbenoni said 5 years ago

I’m using Skype for several years and currently use many of its services for both personal and commercial use (Numbers in different countries, unlimited calling to the world, Credit for text messages, mobile calls, call forwarding, Box voice, etc.).

Independent of the company that acquired Skype, I have misgivings
    As to whether the services will continue in the same way.
    Especially the coverage of services and obviously values​​.
    Now in particular with Microsoft, its “successful”business model is often too fragmented user types, which personally I do not like at all.
    I hope both the quality and prices to remain until the moment I am a satisfied customer and I remain so regardless of who is the owner of the company.
    Moreover, competition should already be preparing their products to exploit the reluctance stars that are thousands with this transaction.
    ——————————————————————————————–
    Soy usuario de Skype desde varios años y en la actualidad utilizo muchos de sus servicios tanto para uso personal como fines comerciales (Numeros en distintos paises, llamadas ilimitadas al mundo, Crédito para mensajes de texto, llamada a moviles, desvío de llamadas, Casilla de voz, etc.)
    Independiente de la compañia que adquirio skype, tengo aprensiones en
    cuanto a si los servicios seguirán de la misma forma. Especialmente la cobertura de los servicios y obviamente los valores.
    Ahora en particular con Microsoft, su “exitoso” modelo de negocio muchas veces fragmenta demasiado los tipos de usuarios, lo cual personalmente no me agrada para nada.
    Espero tanto la calidad como los precios se mantengan, hasta el momento soy un cliente satisfecho y espero seguir siéndolo independiente de quien sea el dueño de la compañía.
    Además, la competencia ya debe estar preparando sus productos estrellas para aprovechar las reticencias que tienen miles con esta transacción.

161. eli.noujaim said 5 years ago

Way to go Microsoft and million congrats. Imagine MS Office, IE, etc., all comes with Skype. Who can compete with that? It is time to see another innovative step by Microsoft.

162. mrkode said 5 years ago

Will this mean Skype for Linux and Andrioid is to be killed off? Let’s see…

163. tribudelectus said 5 years ago

Hi Tony. Could you provide more information about possible changes for customers in the short term: prices, free features, etc.? I understand that this is a great deal for Microsoft, but I don’t know what would be the main benefit for Skype customers. Thanks in advance for your response or a new blog about this issue.

164. ruvini218 said 5 years ago

Skype weds Microsoft!
    Good Luck guys. It’s good if this is gonna result in public benefit.
    PS: Will we have to pay for Skype now?

165. akhomraven said 5 years ago

Hello,

Skype is best and dependent on its own, and I wish Skype team could have made it more intelligent and profitable for their own revenue earnings in many ways, sooner or later, but it would have possible without merging with a giant company.

It can’t be a happy news for most of the old Skype users from all over the world. It has been a regular tendency of Microsoft’s Business strategy to watch and eat a good talent/publicity/community at any time.

However, the Skype team knows more than any one of the users here, so with all respect I like to congratulate for this big step.

All the best Skype.

166. donsjh said 5 years ago

It has taken microsatan less than a day to completely destroy the best video chat program around. Thank you heads of SKYPE for putting your wealth ahead of good service – it is the american way.

I have now removed SKYPE from my microsatan/winshit free computer on which I rely on the far, far superior UNIX system. I invite all intelligent people to join me – it is easy and will hopefully result in the destruction of microsatan/winshit.

167. pjsparty said 5 years ago

Congrats on the deal. As a loyal skype user I would like to ask you don’t turn skype into some MS mess by combining it with messenger or something. Also please dont drop the ball on the mac platform. Currently skype 5 for Mac sucks. From my experience with bing for iPad I will say if Microsoft wants to design a good looking app, they can. Please let this continue to be true with the skype team.

168. my2762 said 5 years ago

Excuse me?

so you will decide what is best for us? I think you forget that we choose skype, skype didn’t choose us.

we choose skype for your services, rates and your individuality, now you are selling your empire to some leechers without even the people know who are the main cause of skype’s success?

shame on you Skype leaders… shame on you

169. iguloso said 5 years ago

Hope Microsoft take care of Skype quality.

170. georgegeoffrey said 5 years ago

I hate this. Microsoft will destroy Skype like other multinational corporations have destroyed jobs in the United States etc. I realize Skype is a foreign run company and is HQ in the Baltics, however, Microsoft leaves a bad taste in my mouth and Skype will go from an affordable service to something much more expensive. You mark my word. I have been a loyal Skype user since the beginning and I just am very unhappy about this.

171. wanish54 said 5 years ago

are we gonna have to start paying for skype now or what

172. luis.serrano.gil said 5 years ago

Congratulations! I just hope Skype will keep running and developing in Mac, Android, iPhones and non-MS platforms.

173. rick.fornalski.2 said 5 years ago

Now that (free) Skype is owned by mircrosoft, can we look forward to daily updates with more bugs that the day before?
    Also, will skype still be free or will it be so pervasive that it becomes part of windows like infernalnet destroyer; unremovable.

Will microsoft create, but deny, a communication stream that can be bugged remotely by the US security forces?

Am I the only person seriously worried by having not only my PC usage but now my voice and text calls monitored?

174. fluxid said 5 years ago

I’m afraid Linux version will be dropped… I wish it won’t.

175. bleepblop said 5 years ago

There was a reason I left microsofts messaging platform and now there seems to be a reason why I will leave skype too. Unfortunate.

176. yannidownes said 5 years ago

I’m very unhappy about this, Microsoft can’t create anything that functions OK with other systems, so I guess as a Mac user I can look forward to deleting Skype from my Apps folder

177. dvdgc13 said 5 years ago

Just a question… how this will affect to the Linux users, which we are still using a “beta” 2.2 version?

178. momaboy said 5 years ago

Wonderful news! I’d love to see Skype being officially integrated in both mobile phones and home consoles. And if this acquisition mean that Skype could integrate my contacts from Windows Live Messenger, then I’m one happy guy!

179. tylerzeta said 5 years ago

Great, so dose this mean that people who have an android phone, psp, ipad/pod/phone, android OS device and a Mac can’t get skype? If so then thats the stupidest thing ever since people i know aren’t as excited are Tony Bates are.

180. mauro.garofalo said 5 years ago

addio Skype for Linux

181. gmkenny said 5 years ago

Hi Tony,
    Congratulations, Microsoft have got a gem.
    I hope that you will continue with the improvements you and your team have brought to this great product. I am looking forward to great things in the future with Microsoft Skype
    Regards
    Gerry Kenny

182. xciter327 said 5 years ago

There goes linux support… Got to find an alternative to skype…

183. johny454 said 5 years ago

I’d like to know what will happen to the Linux version of Skype. Can you please assure us, Linux users, it will go under further development in such circumstances?

184. mgamool said 5 years ago

Worst step ever! Microsoft will shut it down or probably fill it with video ads everywhere! FAIL!

185. pinchofhope said 5 years ago

I want to be able to delete my account now then. Please let me know ASAP when you’ve made it possible to delete an account as I now rescind all permission for you you to hold my details including, but not limited to my username and password.

186. jordanlgraham said 5 years ago

this is utterly tragic news

187. hadi.farnoud said 5 years ago

I hope it means more integrated services?