Skype is always looking for new ways to help you express yourself – we’ve recently launched new features such as Mojis, Skype Translator and our fantastic new range of emoticons, so you can express exactly how you feel. Today, we’re excited to launch video message filters in Skype for Android, iPhone and iPad – video effects that let you add more fun to your Skype video messages.
Some moments can’t be captured by words or pictures alone. Video messages allow you to record short clips and send them to your Skype contacts to be viewed at any time, they don’t have to be online. Capture and share a fleeting memory, create a heartfelt reminder, or simply tell a friend or family member “wish you were here”.
Get started by tapping the filter wand at the bottom left of the video message window. Choose a filter to see it in action then, when you’re ready, hit the record button. Add balloons to your video message to celebrate any occasion. If you’re feeling goofy, change the appearance of your face to make it look rounder or longer – we love this one! Or, if you’re sending a video message showing off your Halloween costume, add some ghosts or use the negative filter to set a spooky mood.
But wait, there’s more! In addition to video message filters, we’re releasing more new features in Skype 6.5 for iPhone and iPad – head over to the iTunes app store to download the update.
Here’s what’s new:
Peek and Pop with 3D Touch on iPhone 6S and 6S Plus
We’re making the most of iOS 9 to help improve multitasking and get you to your conversations faster using 3D Touch:
- Force Touch the Skype icon on your home screen for quick access to our most used features – search your Skype contacts, start a call or chat, and access the Skype dial pad. Clicking any of these options takes you to that task in Skype instantly.
- Once you’re in the app, you can Force Touch a Recent conversation to Peek the latest instant messages or live video if you’re on a call. Swiping up reveals more actions and a harder press will Pop the conversation into the foreground.
- If you’re in a conversation and someone shares their location, a photo, URL or contact, you can Force Touch Peek it, then swipe up to reveal more actions or harder press to Pop it into the foreground.
Improvements to help you manage conversations and share contacts
We’re constantly listening to your feedback to help us improve Skype – please keep it coming! Over the last few weeks, many of you asked how you can hide and completely delete chats and for a way to share Skype contacts with others. Skype 6.5 for iPhone and iPad delivers both.
- Hide and delete chats from your Recent conversations by swiping the contact or tapping Edit, then choosing if you want to delete the entire chat history or simply hide it from your Recent list. You can also delete the entire chat history from within the conversation using chat menu.
- Share a Skype contact by tapping the contact card icon in a conversation to open your contact list. Then simply select the contact you want to share, tap the tick icon and you’re done.
We are dedicated to continuously making Skype more personal, and can’t wait to hear your feedback. If you haven’t already downloaded the latest version, get Skype for Android from the Play Store or Skype for iPhone and iPad from the iTunes App Store.