Making Way for the Next Generation of Skype on Desktop
Skype is all about getting people together, whenever they’re apart. To ensure that we provide our users with the best communication experience possible, we are always looking for ways to enhance the features you use every day.
As we look ahead to the future, we‘re focusing our efforts on bringing the latest and greatest to the most recent versions of Skype. As a result, we are going to retire older versions of Skype for Windows desktop (6.13 and below) as well as Skype for Mac (6.14 and below) over the next few months.
What are the benefits of the latest version?
You’ll be able to enjoy lots of great improvements. Some highlights:
- Sending and receiving instant messages when your contacts are offline
- Viewing consistent and complete chat history across multiple devices
- Syncing read/unread status on all messages across devices
What do I need to do if I’m using an older version?
Don’t panic – whether you’re using Skype for Windows desktop or Skype for Mac, you can download and update to the latest version today for free. Simply follow the steps below:
- Whether you’re using Windows desktop or Mac, click to the Skype for Computers download page
- Download the latest version by clicking “Get Skype for Windows desktop” or “Get Skype for Mac”
- Follow the setup instructions to complete the installation process
- Sign in to Skype to continue using Skype without disruption
We encourage all users to update to the latest version today to continue using Skype without disruption.
We‘re excited to be working on great new experiences for Skype, but more on that later! For now, we encourage you to download and update to the latest version today.
For support on Skype for Windows desktop or Skype for Mac, you can go to our Skype Community pages.