Making Way for the Next Generation of Skype on Desktop

Skype is all about getting people together, whenever they’re apart. To ensure that we provide our users with the best communication experience possible, we are always looking for ways to enhance the features you use every day.

As we look ahead to the future, we‘re focusing our efforts on bringing the latest and greatest to the most recent versions of Skype. As a result, we are going to retire older versions of Skype for Windows desktop (6.13 and below) as well as Skype for Mac (6.14 and below) over the next few months.

What are the benefits of the latest version?

You’ll be able to enjoy lots of great improvements. Some highlights:

• Sending and receiving instant messages when your contacts are offline
  • Viewing consistent and complete chat history across multiple devices
  • Syncing read/unread status on all messages across devices

What do I need to do if I’m using an older version?

Don’t panic – whether you’re using Skype for Windows desktop or Skype for Mac, you can download and update to the latest version today for free. Simply follow the steps below:

1. Whether you’re using Windows desktop or Mac, click to the Skype for Computers download page
  2. Download the latest version by clicking “Get Skype for Windows desktop” or “Get Skype for Mac”
  3. Follow the setup instructions to complete the installation process
  4. Sign in to Skype to continue using Skype without disruption

We encourage all users to update to the latest version today to continue using Skype without disruption.

We‘re excited to be working on great new experiences for Skype, but more on that later! For now, we encourage you to download and update to the latest version today.

For support on Skype for Windows desktop or Skype for Mac, you can go to our Skype Community pages.

28 thoughts on “Making Way for the Next Generation of Skype on Desktop

1. What about Linux version?

• Shana Pearlman said 1 month ago

Hi Rytis, we suggest updating to the latest version of Skype now to get the latest features and to avoid future problems.

2. What if we want to keep using older Desktop Skype versions. Will they still work on older OS like XP, or Vista or Windows 7?

I agree that these ARE indeed improvements compared to (an prviously not availale to) the old classical p2p Skype .

* Sending and receiving instant messages when your contacts are offline
    * Viewing consistent and complete chat history across multiple devices
    * Syncing read/unread status on all messages across devices

… however, some of us still NEED to continue to use the older versions of Skype. One glaring example is Skype room (group chat) moderation, which is not fully functional above v6.0 ; sepcifically, 6.3 and above does not allow group chat creators and moderators (master roles) to edit or remove messages of members or kick or ban members. Take that as question #2, though there are other uses for older Skype versions. Are you sure they will not work at all?

Question # 1: Can we still use older versions in any OS envirement (win7, or older)?

Question # 2: Will the edit and remove message or kick or ban commands become functional again for group chat room creators and moderators (master role)?

Thanks In advance for responding,

• Shana Pearlman said 2 weeks ago

Hi Julie,

Can you tell me a little bit more about the group you’re moderating and some situations where moderation was necessary?
      You will need to update Skype for all OS environments, but the new builds will work with older OS’s.

Best, Shana from Skype.

3. What does “retire” mean? Will the old versions still work/connect to the network/receive messages/ etc or not?

• Shana Pearlman said 1 month ago

Hi Alexander, once a version is retired, users will no longer be able to sign into the retired version until they upgrade to the latest version of Skype. Best, Shana from Skype.

4. Will these new versions of Skype still be compatible with older operating systems, like Windows XP?

5. What about applications based on Skype4COM (public API). Will they stop working ?

• Shana Pearlman said 1 month ago

Hi Hakon, Skype4Com uses the desktop API system, so functions associated with call recording and hardware will work, and those associated with IM will not.

6. Your PC client is great !. I have absolutely no bad thing to say about it. It even syncs calls on phone faster than the Metro version.

Buuuuuut. Some news about the update for the WP version? Android and especially iPhone got a lot of love recently. :D

Anyway, you guys are great. I love your work.

7. danrulz98 said 1 month ago

I have a problem then. I’ve been using version 5.10 because anything newer and my messages won’t send!
    With Skype 6, I would wirte a message, hit enter to send, and it’d sit there pending for a long time, even with the other person sending me messages wondering where I am.
    Downgraded to 5.10 and problem solved. Now I’m being forced to use a buggy version with ads? Lame.
    Time to find a new chat service!

8. If 2.8 will stop work I will stop using Skype… I can’t stand the “one wide window” interface that it has got since release 5. Everytime I update the client, but every time I run away in tears since I cannot get a grip on that BAD interface.

Hope that some modifications in this area will come soon !!

9. i still use version 6.1 as it gives the best video quality , i have tried every single version since, all of them are worse, i am not cpu or gpu limited on any of the machines, it is a shame to see this news, i just updated to 6.16 to give that a shot and it is also the same as earlier versions, i believe they have changed the video codec after 6.1 , also version 6.16 when a call is dropped and then regained you are unable to turn your webcam back on, i would be happy to file logs, as im sure would the other party i skype with, but in faq does no mention where to submit the logs? thanks!

• Shana Pearlman said 4 weeks ago

Hi Ronald, thanks for your feedback. Here is how you submit a log file.

10. I have the same problem. With the newer versions of Skype, I can’t get video either on my XP based desktop or my Windows 7 based laptop. That’s why I switched back to the older version. I’ve seen many, many messages on the Web indicating that many others are having this same problem.

• Shana Pearlman said 3 weeks ago

Hi Steve, the newer Skype builds are supported on both XP and Windows 7, so could you tell me a little bit more about what’s going on? If the people you’re calling do not have newer builds of Skype, you will have trouble establishing video calls with them. Best, Shana from Skype.

11. Thanks to the magnificent idea of forcing users to update, my computer now gives me this error for the newest version of Skype: “skype fatal error (kernel32.dll)”. This exact error has been the reason I hadn’t upgraded to begin with, when newer versions of Skype started popping up.

So now, I am unable to access Skype from my computer. How is this constructive, or solveavble?! I was using version 6.6 just fine, so WHY am I being forced to update when I cannot even open the program now?!

I have tried updating to SP3, but the XP version I own isn’t cooperating. Engineers, help, please.

12. I have WinXP SP3, skype doesn’t work, it is the same problem I had months before, where it acts like my user/pass is wrong. Got Skype help, and they’re remedy was to use an older version of skype. Now can’t even do that.

13. What will happen with Skype stand-alone phones. I have the Phillips VOIP841. Will this still work? I only use Skype with the phone and if it stops working I will stop using Skype altogether.

14. Thank you Shana, but, I think most stand-alone phones (at least mine) can’t be updated unless vendors create a firmware. If Skype is doing this now, vendors will not follow up having to maintain support for all devices. I think, if I cannot find a “better” stand-alone phone, Skype will not work for me or my family overseas. Can you suggest any stand-alone phone that will work?

15. Shana Pearlman said 6 days ago

Hi Jorge, I am advised by our engineers that the particular device you mentioned (Phillips VOIP841) will continue to work.