Download Skype 5.0 for iPhone Today!

On June 9, we announced that an update to Skype for iPhone was on the way, and today it’s time to try it out for yourself: Skype 5.0 for iPhone has arrived! We were excited to use your feedback to remaster the app around you, to help you connect with your friends and family simply and quickly.

iphone redesign 2

We’re excited for you to see how the new app has been redesigned to put your conversations first, providing you with a smoother, leaner and more integrated experience. Skype for iPhone is up to five times faster and it is also more stable and more reliable. Navigating through the new UI is easier and more fluid. Whether it’s creating a group chat, sending a photo or starting a video call, the new Skype for iPhone has been rethought to be simple and intuitive.

iphone redesign 3

Skype 5.0 for iPhone is just the beginning of a new Skype experience on iPhone. You can download the update starting today in the Apple App Store – you’ll just need iOS 7 or later. We’re hard at work on a new version for iPad users, too. Keep updated by following us on Twitter and Facebook, or join us in the Skype Community to let us know what you think of the new app!

*For users with iOS 6, Skype 4.17 for iPhone is available for download in the App Store.

26 thoughts on “Download Skype 5.0 for iPhone Today!

1. I didn’t like this version! You removed the ability to erase the history, and there is no possibility to view th e user profiles! I needed to see my mother’s user name and there is no menu option to see the profiles anymore. Skype 5.o became a lot less powerfull!

2. I keep trying to update and when I do, it says, “The item you tried to buy is no longer available.” Why is this happening? How do I update?

• Shana Pearlman said 4 weeks ago

Hi Kristin, the situation should be resolved. Please let us know if you have further issues. Best, Shana from Skype.

3. Not sure what’s going on, but the iPhone App store tells me (on all devices) the item is no longer available when i try to upgrade. You’d think the Skype Blog would have some answers.

• Shana Pearlman said 4 weeks ago

Hi there, the issue should have resolved itself. Please let us know if you experience further problems.

4. How can I initiate a skype group call with new skype? I was able to initiate a group chat, but I can not find the option to initiate the group call

• Shana Pearlman said 4 weeks ago

Hi there, you can participate in a group call, but the ability to initiate group calls will be coming to iPhone in the future. Stay tuned!

5. I’m having a problem with viewing friends mood messages and profiles on the iPhone application, is there a way to do so?

6. Friends on other devices try to send me pictures and I get an error saying that they tried to send a picture but that feature is not currently available

• Shana Pearlman said 4 weeks ago

Hi Chris, the photo sharing improvements were added as a part of Skype 5.0 for iPhone and, at this time, can only can be experienced between iPhones running the modern client. We’re working hard to bring the new photo sharing capabilities to other Skype platforms as soon as we can to deliver the best Skype experience to all of our users.

7. I like the look and the layout, and I like the promise that video calls are nicer. But, we can’t erase the history, we can’t share photos with anyone NOT on 5.0, we can’t initiate group calls, what else can’t we do? It seems like maybe the update should have waited a little bit…

• Shana Pearlman said 4 weeks ago

Hi Amanda, stay tuned. We are committed to delivering the best Skype experience on each individual platform for our more than 300 million connected users. We’re working hard to bring the new photo sharing capabilities and free group video calling to other Skype platforms as soon as we can to deliver the best Skype experience to all of our users. Best, Shana from Skype.

8. How do I join group calls?

• Shana Pearlman said 4 weeks ago

Hi Xereina, right now, if you’re dialed into a group video call by the call initiator, you will be able to participate with audio. We are working to enable group video calling across all of our platforms – at no cost.

9. Hi,

I am no longer able to make video calls on my iphone 5s. i have iOS 7.1.1. I don’t see any option to make a video call.I have an option to make a phone call or a chat. There is no option to see my contacts on skype and make video calls.

• Shana Pearlman said 4 weeks ago

Hi Sivaram, when you select a contact, you can touch the video camera icon at the bottom of the screen to initiate a video call with him. Here’s an example (scroll down to “face to face”) to show you how it works. Best, Shana from Skype.

10. Is there a date as to when Skype will add back in.. the ability to erase historical chats? This is an important feature and one that is really making lots of my friends NOT want to call me… in fact several of them have told me [I am a huge fan of Skype overall BTW] that they are topping Skype because of this… so any thoughts beyond the standard corporate “speech” would be helpful and alleviate fears.

• Shana Pearlman said 4 weeks ago

Hi Peter, we will be re-introducing this feature back into the app shortly. We really do appreciate your feedback.

11. Hi dear ! i have problem with new version skype in iphone not able to delet or clear the messages and conversation can you help me how i can clear the conversation
    thanks

12. I wish I could save the photos that my friends sent me to my phone album directly like the older version instead of clicking a link, open a new page, log in and so on.

13. I truly hate that so many simple functions are missing. Will this be resolved.?

14. Dear Skype Team,

i don’t like the new version as there are so many negativeness from the old one

1) No option to view friend and user profile

2) No option to delete or remove someone from contacts now you can block cant delete or remove

3) We can see only the online user or all user in last version we can see the online user along with away, invisible & do not disturb user together

4) If Skype show any of the user who is online is no sure if the is really online. My wife lost her mobile for almost 6 month where the Skype shown her status online during the full period when she was not having the mobile which have the Skype. Also most time when I see my friends online they are not online in real. To know if they are really online I need to see there Status on Viber Which Shows the perfect online Status

please update it or provide us a option to use the previous version as it is not as good as the old one was

hope the positive response from your side

Sumit Nahata