Skype loves bringing groups together – with FREE group video calling

When not in the office at Skype, I’m part of a cycling team with a group of four local friends. We’re training for a coast-to-coast charity cycling event but spend our weeks in separate parts of the world on business. As planning for our training days is a challenge, we often rely on Skype group video calls to stay connected. Now that Skype group video calling is available to everyone, free of charge, it makes our group conversations even easier! Group video calling enables so many important shared experiences, like my cycling team’s regular training check-ins and catch-ups.

GVC 1

Skype is proud that, since our beginning, we’ve created opportunities for people to communicate freely and easily, no matter where they are; from keeping in touch with remote family members or calling home when traveling to chatting daily with your close circles of friends. While Skype is known for one to one video calling, we know it’s also essential to connect with the groups of people who matter most, whether friends, family or colleagues. For the last few years, we’ve offered group video calling to Premium users on Windows desktop and Mac and more recently Xbox One. Today, we’re excited to announce that we’re making group video calling free – for all users on these platforms. And, in the future, we’ll be enabling group video calling for all our users across more platforms – at no cost. xboxOne1Whether for my cycling team or your catch-ups, meet ups, huddles, reunions, nights out, study groups, painting clubs, family ‘get-togethers’ or whatever group you participate in, Skype is committed to making group communications simple, easy and fun for everyone – now and in the years to come!

As we move forward, we’ll continue to listen to your feedback and deliver ever more and ever better group communications. So, as always, let us know what you think by keeping in touch on Twitter and Facebook, and join us on the Skype Community.

54 thoughts on “Skype loves bringing groups together – with FREE group video calling

• Shana Pearlman said 8 months ago

Hi Quentin, group screen sharing is also now free. Best, Shana from Skype

• Hello, I am wondering what version of Skype we need to have this work… I tried it today but it worked without video. Sound was good though, but it’s all about the video! Thank you!

• Shana Pearlman said 7 months ago

Hi Andjela, you’ll need to make sure that everyone on the group video call has the latest version of Skype.

• Group Screenshare is now FREE! OMG. thats great news! I am adding this great news about group video and screensharing in my next Skype Training. Thanks Skype! Now THATS THE sKYPE WE KNOW AND LOVE!

• i tried today, its not working,i have windows 8, other person, mac, and another one win 7

• Shana Pearlman said 7 months ago

Hi Shamantha, group video call is not yet available for Skype for modern Windows, but that feature is coming soon. In the meantime, you can use Skype for Windows desktop for free group video calls.

• Hello Shana, how r u today? please tell me what is the meaning of this that ” failed to get proc address for GetLogicalprocessorInformation (KERNEL32.dll)
        this is the error when i start skype

• Shana Pearlman said 4 months ago

Hi Shoaib, here is some information that may help you.

1. Wait. Are you telling me that I can now do 10 person video calls from Skype? It’s about time!

2. This is great news.
    I’m not clear on the timing.
    I want to make my first-ever group call by Skype on 1 May. It’d be from my Android tablet to an iPhone and a desktop PC. It doesn’t need to be video; audio only would be fine. Is this doable? And will it be free, or do I have to purchase a day-pass? If the latter, how do I do it?

• Shana Pearlman said 8 months ago

Hi Michael, audio group calls are free. You can participate in the group call, but not start it yourself. Here’s more information about the features that Skype for Android supports.

3. Please advise if screen sharing to a group video call is also free now. Thank you.

4. Thank You so much for this useful update, hope you can do more for us.

5. This Awesome!! I can finally work with my class on group projects.

6. As awesome as this is for any generic user and I highly approve if Skype wants to keep up with the free functionality of Hangouts, this used to be pretty much the driving intention behind being a Skype Premium subscriber. What features remain “Premium Only”?

7. What about my premium subscription ? Is it useless now ?

8. PLease advise: in Russian version of help for group calls it still says you need to have a Premium Account to do group videochat. Is this racism or you just didnt translate the news yet?

• Shana Pearlman said 8 months ago

Hi Alexey, we are in progress with updating our support in all languages. We apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience.

9. Will we need to update Skype from v6.13 to v6.14 to see this feature?

Thanks

• Shana Pearlman said 8 months ago

Hi Victor, no updates are necessary. Best, Shana from Skype.

10. I have to do to make a group video call in windows 8, or perhaps need a software update

• Shana Pearlman said 8 months ago

Hi Manfredo, group video calling will be coming to Windows 8; stay tuned!

11. nice news thank you

12. What about people who paid for the service? are we going to get our money back???

• Shana Pearlman said 8 months ago

Hi Bhavani, here is more information for Premium subscribers.

• I bought premium for a year on April 27th 2014 for group calls only, two days later it became free!!!
        It has been almost a week since your post and I have not received any email regarding my account,
        What do I need to do?
        I believe I deserve a refund!

• Shana Pearlman said 8 months ago

Hi Ala’a, here’s more information about your Premium subscription.

13. What if we bought skype premium?

14. Hey great news

15. Hi Shana, how many people can be in the group for a videochat? 10 or more?

• Shana Pearlman said 8 months ago

Hi Andreas, between 3 and 10 people can be in the group video call, depending on the platform you’re using.

16. What about Windows Phone 8? And OS X?

• Shana Pearlman said 8 months ago

Hi Mike, we will be bringing free group video calling to those platforms in the future. Stay tuned! Shana from Skype.

17. Hmm… So what I’m paying for in Skype Premium if this became free?!

18. Its useful update thanx!!!

19. AND IF IM FRM SOUTH AFRICA .. CAPE TOWN TO ITALY / MILAN ….GROUP CALLING ..IS THATS POSSIBLE

20. This is fantastic news and it’s about time, it’s been long overdue. I’m planning on emigrating to the USA as I’m getting married, and Skype group calling will be the best way to keep in touch with family back home in the UK. It’ll be practically like I never left :)

21. Is the free group call available now? My friends and I have been trying to group call for an hour and it’s not working.

22. I haven’t actually tried making a group call, but I do get a pop-up still that I need premium to make them. I just download Skype yesterday.

• Shana Pearlman said 6 months ago

Hi Jonathan, what device are you using? Windows desktop, Android…? Shana from Skype

23. we tried to have a video group call as follows, one person on Windows 7, one person on an i phone and another on a different I phone. We could do a one to one video call, by adding the 3rd person who was on an I phone did not work….even if the windows 7 person did the inviting.

• Shana Pearlman said 4 months ago

Group video calling is not available for Skype for iPhone yet – but stay tuned – we’re working hard to make it available!

24. Would I be able to embed Skype on my website for people to chat on my website through Skype?

25. Shana Pearlman said 8 months ago

Hi Flexines, here’s more information about Skype Click to Call, which allows you to call a number on a website through Skype with just a click.