Skype 4.7 for Android: Your Battery Is Breathing a Sigh of Relief
Sometimes a change you can’t see can make a huge difference. Imagine being able to leave Skype running on your phone all day without having to worry about your battery life. The Skype for Android team has been working to make that possible ever since we promised to improve your mobile experience back in July.
Today we deliver.
With Skype 4.7 for Android, we are introducing aggressive battery savings that will allow most of our users to leave Skype running without noticeably affecting battery life. It has been a challenging process, because to do this we’ve had to transform to the way Skype technology works. Actually we’re still undergoing that transformation – the process is not yet complete. But we are now at a stage where you can enjoy the fruits of our labor.
To achieve these amazing battery savings, we’ve temporarily turned off instant notification of messages in group chats. We realize group chats are important to those who rely on Skype for them, so we’d like you to know:
- In the near future, you will be able to receive group chat messages instantly without additional battery impact.
- If you can’t wait for that to happen, we’ve added a new setting to let you keep group chat notifications. Go to Settings > Notifications > check the “Sync group messages in the background” box.
This version also includes the following fixes:
- Workaround for the KitKat bug which caused a runaway process when the camera was synced in the background.
- Fix for audio and video calling on tablets that do not have Bluetooth.
- Now lists your Windows Live Messenger contacts in the Skype (default) view, not just the All contacts view.
You can download the update starting today in the Play Store. It will be available for the Kindle Fire family of tablets later this month.
We’re always looking to improve your experience on Skype and we pay close attention to your feedback. To get the latest news and tips, follow us on Twitter and Facebook, or join us in the Skype Community.