Skype’s Enhanced Chat Experience

With the technical improvements previewed in the course of building our mobile future, more and more people can now comfortably take Skype with them on the go.  Skype chat is a huge part of that future, so today we’re excited to share news about a range of enhancements to our chat experience.

Improved Chat 1

We know that as users have started using Skype on multiple devices, they’ve had difficulty keeping conversations in sync, or they’ve missed messages and seen “read” messages on one device that are still marked as “unread” on another.  We’ve been working hard to solve these issues while adding other experiences to make an improved Skype chat.

Now, push notifications make sure you know when you have a new message in chat, and Skype chats are synced across all of your Skype-enabled devices.

improved chat 2

You can scroll back on your mobile phone to see the conversation you had on your laptop just as easily as the chat you had with your best friend on your smartphone about a recipe.

We also understand the importance of knowing that messages you send have been delivered and that you receive all of the messages sent to you. Now you can have peace of mind that your friends will receive messages even if they’re not on Skype at the time you hit “send,” and, if you’ve read a Skype message on your phone, it’ll show as “read” when you check your messages on your laptop later in the evening.

improved chat 4

To accompany these changes, we’ve continued to optimize our overall mobile performance, so you’ll also see improvements to battery life, startup times, and resume times. We’ve improved load times for the app and for recent conversations; in addition, it’s now faster to return to the app when it’s not running in the foreground as well as faster to start up, allowing you to chat all day every day without the fear of unwanted battery drain.

And, in the coming months, we’ll continue to enhance your chat experience such that you’ll only receive notifications on the device you’re actively using. For example, if you’re on your tablet, then you’ll only see the notification there and additional notifications won’t double (or triple) up on your other devices. Also, your Favorites contact list will “roam” and sync across all of your Skype-enabled devices.

All of these enhancements apply to your Skype group chat experience in the coming months as well, so you’ll get the same reliable experience across your devices whether you’re chatting with your spouse, your running buddy, your fantasy football league, or your book club.

Download the latest version of Skype on all your devices to enjoy an enhanced experience now.

69 thoughts on “Skype’s Enhanced Chat Experience

1. Did I understand that correctly that this was a server side change and no new clients are needed/released today?

• Shana Pearlman said 7 months ago

Hi Benjamin, that’s right, but you do need the latest versions of the Skype client across all your devices. Best, Shana from Skype.

2. venkatkonasani said 7 months ago

if you could sync call history across all devices, would be a great thing.

3. Thanks for finally doing this.

4. WizardCM said 7 months ago

All of these look to be fantastic improvements. Can’t wait on the whole “notifications on active device” thing, that’s going to be amazing.

5. This sounds great and all, but I’ll just wait to see if it actually works. Leaving cross-platform syncing issues aside, i;m even having issues when using Skype only on my laptop. For instance, each time I try to log in after signing out it tells me that the password is incorrect, although it is. After lots of attempts, it finally lets me log in. I even tried changing the password, received a code via email, copy-pasted the code only to be told that it is incorrect (again, copy-paste, as in no room for typos). Not to mention that I receive messages late (sometimes even after 2-3 days) or not at all. I like Skype when it works, but at this rate it’s more of a hassle than a convenience.

• Shana Pearlman said 7 months ago

Hi Alexandra, sorry to hear that you’re having problems. For password issues,here’s where you can find help.

6. A major omission in this discussion is abut the DELETION of Skype chats and histories across multiple platforms. When a person deletes their chat on one machine they should have the option of deleting it only locally or globally (default). Most people don’t want stuff left behind on a borrowed device, but they may want to have their normal use devices retain the conversation thread.

When it deletes they should have the option to securely erase / wipe (default) the chat records, or to just delete it the conventional way (file data remains on the storage device, and is only subject to being eventually overwritten by the OS). If possible, the entire Skype environment should be run in a virtual space so when it is closed all of it vanishes (well, maybe except the mic / speaker / camera hardware configuration) unless it is explicitly instructed to save it to a designated file.

7. I need help! can´t access my skype account! I have two accounts apparently and now I need one that I can´t access on my PC…I´ve written to Skype but have had NO answer!
    please help me!

8. skype should have music updates

9. I would like to see my display picture on my Skype im page as well as the display picture of the person I am chatting with…

10. My Skype voucher is due to expire on 31st December, 2014, surprisingly as I enter the voucher code to redeem my 60 free minutes; I received a message that the voucher has expired. This is not just funny, but ridiculous. Can someone help out

11. skyp is not installing on my pc each time I try to install accrued given below
    Failed to get proc address for GetLogicalProcessorInformation (KERNEL32.dll)
    Kindly help me as soon as possible

• Shana Pearlman said 5 months ago

Hi Anwar, here’s how you can get in touch with Customer Support. Best, Shana from Skype.

• I have a new webcam and everything works fine, with the exception that my friends can’t hear me, but I can hear them.

• Shana Pearlman said 5 months ago

Hi Lorry, here’s a guide to solving sound issues on Skype.

12. I HAVE USED SKYPE FOR SEVERAL YEARS WITH NO CHARGE , WHAT has changed ?

• Shana Pearlman said 5 months ago

Hi Dottie, video and voice calls, IM, and other features are free to anyone else who has a Skype account. Best, Shana from Skype

13. I am trying to receive calls on my premium account and each time someone calls me they say they get a busy signal. Why is this so?

• Shana Pearlman said 5 months ago

Hi there, to get to the bottom of this, can you tell us whether the calls were from a mobile or landline and where the person was calling from, as well as where you are located?

14. how do i get rid of the ad on top of my skype account since its really consuming the entire space. This just came up yesterday. Thanks.

15. My name is Miroslava. My Skype was hacked. Who know where I can get help for my Account Recovery?
    Thank You all of You.

16. Hi you keep asking me to change my password which I have done, yet I still can’t sign in. What’s bloody going on?

• Shana Pearlman said 5 months ago

Hi Garth, in order to find out what’s going on, can you let me know if you’re signing in with your Skype ID or your Microsoft account? Shana from Skype.

17. Hai, i have a problem when i buy skype credit, when the credit finishes it automatically purchases itself from my account and i don’t understand. Thanks.

18. This is good news, looking forward to synced favourites, noticed synced contacts working today.

19. I’m from Vietnam. I get trouble that when I call to Berlin-Germany, I can hear my friend ,but he can not hear me. I sure that my mic is good. Somebody help me ?

20. i can see only the skype logo when i open the application….what can i do??My OS is windows 7 32 bit,can i have skype??which version i have to prefer??please reply me soon…thank u,i need skype,i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Hi, please help me fix my skype number. when I making a phone call, my skype number appear in different number at their caller ID. It dosnt show my real skype number.

22. I LOST MY SKYPE FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME. EVERYTIME I LOSE IT I HAVE TO JUMP THRU HOOPS TO GET IT BACK! I GET A RECOVERY CODE ENTER IT AND IT TELLS ME THE CODE IS NO GOOD. WHAT THE HELL! I’M READY TO GIVE UP.

• Shana Pearlman said 4 months ago

Hi Andrew, you don’t say whether you’re using a Microsoft acccount or a Skype ID to sign in, but here is a guide to help with all kinds of sign-in issues.

23. I have had Skype premium for about 3 yrs now. Just in the last year. when I talked to 2 of my family members in Az. at the same time I can hear them. but not see them. One on One is Ok but not all of the them at the same time. What do you think is the problem?

• Shana Pearlman said 4 months ago

Hi Rose, are all of your family members using the most updated versions of Skype? They may be using a version that supports audio only. Here’s more information that may help you. Best, Shana from Skype.

24. Hello, sign in doesnt pop out on my skype it runs but the sign in doesnt show. pls help.

25. I know Skype is used all over the world, even in the heart of Syria in the heat of battle. But when I am “talking” to family in England, the only way they can hear us is if I close the video at my end or vice versa. This has been going on for many months, even updates do not help. Pretty poor for a well established program. Anyone with any ideas?

26. I have just paid for a year’s subscription to Skype so I can call my mother in the UK – but Skype to landline is not working and I just get “internal error”. I have top drawer VPN – why is this happening? Have I wasted my money completely? My mum does not have a computer. What is the problem?

27. Hi, it seems that I can use the screen sharing option for free but when I tried to use it 3 months ago it said that I need the premium account. Now I realized that the standard accounts provides that option and I want to cancel the premium account. But when I applied for cancelation and I received and email that it says that my premium account will be canceled but in January 2015. Why?

28. Looks like Skype is trying to Bill me for coverage I don’t want – please credit my account. Thanks!

29. I could not sign in into my skype account or could not even connect to facebook video calling link which is associated to skype but i am able to log in into skype web site
    This problem is in my laptop only I could access it in other devices. Could you please solve my problem

30. i have one month call subscription but it not works and i cant verif my mobile number for caller id it showing “Unable to send code at this time” . what i do now ?

31. Hello can anyone help me with the isue. any time i try to call a number from my skype it says accaun t blocked ( i have credits in my accaunt) Pls could anyone help me ?

32. any one can help i download new version skype and it always crash

• Shana Pearlman said 3 months ago

Hi Alliamea, what platform have you downloaded Skype for? Windows desktop, Android….?

33. Hi,I need help.if i run the skype istalling exe,i get this error message.”Failed to get proc address for getlogicalprocessor information (KERNEL32.dl)”,please help me

34. How can cancel the auto recharge while making a payment / purchase a credit points

35. Hi. I am a Skype user in UAE. I recently added a call balance of $ 10 as a pay as you go scheme to make calls to India. However, I am experiencing difficulty in connecting calls. There is a short dial tone after which the call gets disrupted abruptly and without any communication. Moreover, the balance is also deducted. Kindly advise a solution.

36. Oh man… the ability to assign custom pictures to photos was removed. You ARE bringing that back… right? I always use pictures to differentiate lots of small groups I have for various gatherings, meetings and similar business.

37. That all is great. But how i can to moderate skype chats. Especially to delete posts of inadequate participants

38. How about, oh I don’t know… MAKING IT USE LESS RAM? Seriously. Before microsoft got their hands on skype, the window took up less on-screen real estate (now they force it to be bigger with no chance of resizing) and it used a fraction of the ram it uses today. Please, stop it.