Today I’m talking about ways that you can encourage people to connect with you on Skype in a way that’s a little different.
Here at Skype we love the internet in all its many forms. The way it’s always growing and changing as we all contribute to it is great. If you build upon the web with a site of your own, you can add a button to your site allowing users to contact you on Skype.
Even if you’re not a web designer, you can add Skype links to your email signature with a little know-how.
If you’re looking for new ways to connect with people, you’ll also find likeminded enthusiasts in the Skype Community.
A button always asks to be pushed
An invite must look appealing if it’s going to be effective, and what could be more appealing than a nice Skype button for your website.
To make your own button:
- Go to the Skype buttons page.
- Fill in your details in the Let’s get started… section
- Copy and paste the generated code into your website’s code.
Note: Be sure to check your privacy settings allow people outside your contact list to call or chat with you.
Tip: Think about combining a Skype button on your website with Skype call forwarding for maximum freedom.
Add Skype links to your emails with URIs
Have you ever been on one of those endless email threads that you knew you could sort out in five minutes if you could get everyone on a call? Why not encourage your colleagues to contact you on Skype by adding links to your email signature?
These links are called URIs and work in much the same way as a link to a website. Instead of opening a website in your browser, though, they open Skype.
Before we get started, there are a few things to keep in mind when creating Skype URIs. Not all email software handles URIs in the same way. Learn more with this guide to using Skype URIs in email.
To create a Skype URI:
- Select the text or image you want to turn into a link.
- Select your email’s link tool. This will depend on your email software but might look like one of these:
- Where you would enter a web address, enter skype: followed by your Skype name.
- If you want the link to start a chat instead of a call, add ?chat after your Skype name.