Feature evolution and support for the Skype Desktop API

One of the exciting things about communications is that the field and the technology are always changing and at Skype, we are continually investing in technology improvements to keep bringing innovation in communications to as many of our users as possible.

As Mark Gillett described in his Technology Changes to Improve the Skype Experience blog post – the team has been hard at work updating our infrastructure and evolving our experiences across all our supported platforms.  The investments we’re making in Skype – to a highly mobile, cloud connected world – come with some key changes to our application and service architecture, and by extension – our support for the Desktop API used by 3rd party developers to extend Skype functionality.  Previously we shared that we would retire the Desktop API later this year. However, I’m happy to share that we will be extending support for two of the most widely used features – call recording and compatibility with hardware devices – until we determine alternative options or retire the current solution. Although chat via third party applications, will cease to work as previously communicated.

The current Desktop API extensibility model wasn’t built for the cloud connected world – as extensibility is only available on the Windows Desktop and Mac clients, leaving the Windows 8 store app, mobile apps, web experiences, and Xbox out of the [always] connected experience. The extensibility model of running only on one type of end point needs to evolve to benefit from this new design pattern.

Please continue to share feedback about the Skype experience and what features you would like to see us enable in the product on the Skype community, on Twitter, or on Facebook. We value the input of our developers and users as we continue to improve the Skype experience.

119 thoughts on “Feature evolution and support for the Skype Desktop API

1. Hi Shana,

Will Skype4Com will continue support for sending and receiving IM?

Nikit

• Shana Pearlman said 7 months ago

Skype4Com features related to call recording and hardware will continue to work, but features related to IM will not.

2. Shana you have the patience of a Saint. When I first got the message saying that Skype was no longer going to work with my outrageously expensive Plantronic’s headset, I too sent a very passionate response about what was happening. I never received any response, and I never expected to really. When Goliath makes their move, most of us David figure we are just out of luck. I am happy to hear that you have reconsidered this move based on the response of your user community. I apologize for all the hurtful things I may have said in the heat of the moment. I will remain a faithful subscriber.

David

3. Hi Shana,

I have an app (a bot, essentially), that replies to messages sent by other people in chat. Will this app be affected? If so, are there any alternatives/workarounds?

• Shana Pearlman said 7 months ago

Hi Matt, chat functionality is not being extended, so the API issue will affect the app.

4. Hi Shana, would 3rd party application that uses Skype’s SMS functionality still work?
    Does this mean that SMS APIs are no longer supported?

Are call recording and compatibility with hardware devices the only functionality extended in Skype’s Desktop API?

Thanks

• Shana Pearlman said 7 months ago

Hi Gianina, yes, call recording and compatibility with hardware devices are the only functionalities being extended with Skype’s Desktop API. Other kinds of functionality will not be supported.

5. My Linksys CIT200 mysteriously no longer works – it hangs at ‘searching for Skype’. When did this change take place to extend the API support? Should my CIT200 still work? (it is USB connected to a wireless base).

If I downgrade to an older version of Skype will this fix the problem?

• Shana Pearlman said 6 months ago

Hi Dave, we are still providing API support for hardware. Have you checked with Linksys? Best, Shana from Skype

6. I have a program that records skype calls, and despite this post’s insistence that only 3rd party chats attempting to access the API would be blocked, i am unable to get the desktop version of Skype to recognize the program. Am I simply misreading this blog post and it’s just not going to work anymore, or am I doing something wrong?

• Shana Pearlman said 6 months ago

Hi Forrest, we are still supporting call recording. Can you give me a bit more information about the problem? What call recording program are you using? Which version of Skype for Windows desktop are you using? Thanks. -Shana from Skype.

• I’m using a program called mp3 skype recorder 3.1, i’m not sure what version of the skype desktop i’m using (I downloaded it pretty recently because the app just wasn’t doing it for me.)

When i used to use this program, i would go to tools > advance > Manage other programs’ access to skype, and there was an add or change button or something, but now there are only greyed out ‘change’ and ‘remove’ options. The program i was using before, called ‘callnote’, continued to remind me that it would not be supported on january 1st, and because i wasn’t using it at the time, i paid it no mind.

• Shana Pearlman said 5 months ago

Hi Forrest, our engineers can confirm that there is a newer version of this 3rd party plugin which is known to work, we would recommend you update to the latest version and if you have any queries contact the 3rd party developer for support.

7. Hi Shana!

I use the application “Skype player” for my teaching and I have just found that it no longer works with a new version of Skype. Having been disappointed, I found no decision except keeping my old version of Skype with turned off updating option. Is there any chance for the Skype Player to be supported by Skype in the future? Drew

• Shana Pearlman said 5 months ago

Hi Drew, can you tell me a little bit more about what Skype Player does and which version of Skype you’re using? If it is a hardware or call recording application, you will need to make sure you have the latest version of the application and contact the 3rd party developer for further support.

8. Hi Shana , we have a Panasonic USB adapter for a cordless phone that we use Skype on everyday will this become redundant? Also I gather that Skype messaging will also cease? We use both of these functions all the time, if the usb adapter is dead we will consider another vendor!
    Grahame

• Shana Pearlman said 5 months ago

Hi Grahame, we will be continuing hardware support, so your phone will continue to work. Also, it is not true that Skype messaging will cease, you will always be able to IM from your Skype client.

9. I have been avoiding letting my Skype app update as I didn’t want to lose the functions on my Linksys CIT200 Skype phone. Are you saying that I can let the app update now? The CIT200 has call making / phone book functions.

• Shana Pearlman said 4 months ago

We are still providing API support for hardware, so yes, you can let the app update now.

10. Hi Shana – I purchased a Plantronics headset 478 and cannot get it to work at all with Skype. I’m using a MacBook Pro.

I’ve downloaded and installed the software and the headset is plugged into my laptop via USB. I’ve also gone into Skype > Manage API Clients and have chosen “Allowed to use Skype” for Plantronics Spokes.

Any idea on what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks!

• Shana Pearlman said 4 months ago

Hi Roxanne, I would suggest getting in touch with the third party developer so they can provide support for their device. Best, Shana from Skype.

11. karlnowdriven said 2 months ago

I’m wondering how I can integrate Skype into our CRM that we are building. A click to call out function. Where do I need to go for this. Is it an API or program that I will need to install with every user? We need it for desktop and App buyers. Also if we can get a link to promote Skype Out services. Thanks!

12. Shana, Good Morning!

We have an API that integrates our internal system with Skype, but after version 6.7 of Skype always appears a message saying he would be discontinued at the end of last year. I wonder if there is any way to remove this message and would like to know if it really will be discontinued and how I can make to my system API to communicate somehow with Skype?

The company where I work we standardized a slightly older version of Skype, version 6.7, but this morning the machines that have this version installed suffered with a message saying that you can not make the connection because it is an outdated version of Skype, being required to perform the update of Skype. I wonder if there is any way to continue using this older version without updating?

• Shana Pearlman said 2 weeks ago

Hi Rodrigo, we are retiring older versions of Skype to focus our efforts on improving the most recent versions of Skype, so you will need to update. Once you do so, the message about your API will go away.

13. Hi — I have some decisions about my phone service on hold based on this answer — hoping to get a reply soon? Additionally, any idea how long this will be extended? I was planning on buying a Skype phone number and handing out as my business number but obviously that’s not a good idea if it wouldn’t be usable (WITH Freetalk and my cordless phone) in months/years to come. I should probably go with Google unless I know this will work for the foreseeable future…

14. Shana Pearlman said 8 months ago

Hi Becky, your hardware will always work to allow you to listen to and speak on Skype calls. What the API issue deals with are the buttons on your headset that pick up and hang up Skype calls. That compatibility has been extended. Best, Shana