In case you missed the message, Skype for Android has recently been updated with an all new look and feel and we’re really excited about it. However, as with all things new, it can take a little getting used to. Not to worry though, I’m here today with some tips to help you get going on this great new Skype experience.
Look out for more tips from me soon which will delve a bit further into the depths of Skype for Android.
Finding your way around
Hopefully when you installed the update you got a chance to go through the guide we put together showing you where your profile, calling and messaging can be found. In case you missed the guide, here’s the info in a little triptych.
Knowing where to find those three things will give you a solid start to Skype for Android 4.0 but there’s a lot more to it than that.
When you open Skype you’ll get right into the heart of the action with your recent conversations, favorites and people list available in tabs for you to tap or swipe between. This is your main screen, and you can get back to it by tapping in the top right of the screen.
- Recent: Contains all of your recent conversations and highlights conversations with new messages. You can mark all conversations as read by tapping the menu icon .
- Favorites: Contains all groups and contacts which you have marked as a favorite. Learn more about adding favorites in Skype for Android 4.0.
- People: Contains all of your contacts. You can filter the list to only show available contacts by tapping All at the top of the list and then selecting Available.
If you’re still having difficulty navigating through Skype for Android 4.0, help is at hand on the Skype support site. Learn more about finding your way in Skype for Android 4.0.
Adding a contact
When you’re on the main screen, it doesn’t matter if you’re looking at the Recent, Favorites, or People tabs, it’s easy to add a contact.
To add a contact:
- Open Skype
- Tap the menu icon and select Add people
- Search for your friend using their Skype name, email address or phone number
- Select your friend from the list of results and tap Add to contacts
- Type a message to introduce yourself, if you like, and tap
Making a call
Making a call in Skype for Android 4.0 is super simple. On the main screen you can tap the call icon to make calls to landlines and mobiles.
To make a Skype call, all you need to do is select the friend you want to call from your Recent, Favorite or People lists and then tap the call icon or video call icon to call them.
Sending a message
To send a message to one or more people in Skype for Android 4.0, simply tap the message icon on the main screen and type in the names of friends you want to message.
From the main screen you can also swipe left to bring up the Favorites and People screens, where you can tap a friend’s name to send them a message.
You can simply type a message and send it, or you can tap the add icon to send files or video messages.
With all this new stuff I’m sure you’ll be glad to know your favorite Skype emoticons are still there. Why not add one by tapping the emoticon icon while writing your message.
Learn about editing messages and more on the Skype support site.
If you need to change the account you’re signed in with, you might need to sign out of Skype on your Android device.
To sign out of Skype:
- Tap your profile picture in the right corner of the screen.
- Tap the menu icon or press the menu button on your phone.
- Tap Sign out
When you restart Skype you will be signed back in to your account if you have automatic sign-in enabled. To disable automatic sign-in, tap the menu icon and then Settings.
Still don’t know how to find what you’re looking for?
Don’t panic! Help is only a click away. On the Skype support site you’ll find loads more information to get you going. Or if you have a question that needs answering you can always join the discussion on the Skype Community.