Skype Passes 100M Android Installs and Launches Redesigned 4.0

Just recently, we reached a major milestone. Skype for Android is now installed on over 100 million phones worldwide. And we’re so thankful – reaching such an achievement would be impossible without the support of our users, and we continue to put you and your needs at the heart of everything we do.

Today we’re bringing 100 million of you a step further on our journey into the future. Last week we discussed how Skype’s Mobile Future demands a modern design that puts conversations first, focuses on quality & performance, and delivers a common set of experiences across multiple platforms and devices. Today, we’re excited to deliver in two of those areas with the all-new Skype for Android 4.0.

Android blog image

Modern design, putting conversations first.

We started to reimagine what Skype would look like back when we launched our Windows Phone 8 app late last year. Our focus was simple: we wanted to deliver an app that makes your interactions easier and puts conversations first. Our Android team saw this great work and wanted to deliver an equally bold, beautiful, and modern design in this latest Skype for Android release.

We’ve completely redesigned Skype for Android to be faster and easier – especially when you’re trying to fire off a quick message. Everything is at your fingertips. As soon as you open the app, you’ll notice the clean new look listing your recent conversations – just tap on one to catch up and reply. When you tap or swipe over to the Contacts or Favorites tabs, tapping on a person brings you right into a messaging window so you can start a conversation. And from there video calls, voice calls and everything else are just one tap away.

Increasing performance and quality.

Skype for Android 4.0 has all the features you use and love, but is a whole new app… literally. We didn’t just give Skype a makeover, we rebuilt it from the ground up to be faster and more reliable. We went beyond design and fundamentally changed the way Skype was built, focusing much of our effort on stability, performance, and load time.

This release is just the beginning. We have more updates in the coming months and year ahead to make Skype for Android even more reliable, reachable, and mobile-friendly. So keep watching, and we’ll keep you up to date as we roll out further improvements.

We’re always looking for ways to improve your experience and pay close attention to feedback provided by our community of users. To get the latest Skype news and tips about how to make your experience with Skype better than ever, follow us on Twitter and Facebook, or join us on the Skype Community.

26 thoughts on “Skype Passes 100M Android Installs and Launches Redesigned 4.0

1. brianzion said 1 year ago

when is skype android 4.00 live? 3.2.0.6673 on google play store at present?

• Shana Pearlman said 1 year ago

We can’t wait for it to go live in the store either! We’re eagerly anticipating it, our latest check in said it could take up to a few hours. Shana from Skype

2. Unknown error code during application installation “-24″ on my nexus 4 which is stock and unrooted.

• Shana Pearlman said 1 year ago

This appears to happens to some Android users on reinstallation or upgrade of apps. A Skype community member has outlined a solution here.

3. Derek,

I am really sorry but you dropped the ball here big time. Rolling out a new version which has 50% of its features and saying ‘it has all the features you use and love’.

Removing phone to Skype sync is a deal-breaker to me. I don’t know what you expect me to do? Go and evangelise so that my non-Skype contact go on Skype so I can finally place a Skype to phone line call to them? Manually add all my hundreds of contacts to Skype?

Statuses – Available and Invisible – seriously?

Sign out buried under Profile -> Menu – seriously?

Sign out actually quitting the app forcing a preferences deletion to switch account – seriously?

Not to mention I had to do a hard reinstall for Skype to even connect…

To end this (righteous) rant on a positive note – the new UI is fast, simple and I like it.

But please – don’t rush products to market before they are mature enough for at least 50% of the target group.

Respectfully.

• Shana Pearlman said 1 year ago

Many of the design choices we made in this release were made in the effort of “future proofing” the experience. We will be rolling out many functional improvements over the coming months (which we allude to here) that should address your concerns.
      But for now we can save you from having to enter all your phone contacts into Skype. Instead of syncing your phone contacts into Skype, we now offer Skype as a calling service in your phone’s address book. If you click to call or text a contact from within your phone’s address book (as opposed to your Skype contact list) you will be presented with using Skype as an option unless you have set another method as the “always” default. This way experts like you can still easily make SkypeOut or Skype to Skype calls and new users aren’t concerned when they start the app and see all their phone contacts in the friends list.

4. Ok, so now I got the new redesigned Skype, and have a few questions:
    1. How can I identify if user is online in the Recent tab? Now I have to click user’s name to find our that he is offline already.
    2. Why does it show users who are away or DND – with empty circle (which I suppose, is offline)?
    3. How can I set my Status to DND?
    4. How do I send a file directly from Camera (take a photo, and send it right away)?

5. It’s crazy to think that, an application with over 100 MILLION installs, has instant messaging at its heart, is used for voice calls, and is supposed to be something that you can rely on for instant communication, lacks something as basic as push notifications support.

How did a company with such vast resources as Microsoft miss the memo that maybe, just maybe, reliability, battery life , performance and user experience is more important than a redesign?

This update is beautiful for sure, but once you sign in, you have this ugly notification icon telling you you’re signed in to Skype. At that point, Skype is polling for notifications (unreliably, by the way) , sucking battery life for people who need their phones for mission critical jobs. To make matters even worse, you guys have made it even harder to get rid of the icon by basically hiding the sign off button.

Think of the scale of this issue. Your app is on hundreds of millions of phones. It takes literally a day to set up a system on Google Cloud messaging that would enable your app to really be always on, with a negligible hit on battery life, allowing Skype to reliably be always on for calls and getting rid of that pesky notification icon, making it an enjoyable, transparent experience.

It almost seems like you guys want the user experience to be bad.

6. Shana Pearlman said 1 year ago

Some users have experienced problems changing their status on sign in after upgrading. If you are having this problem please go to app section of your system settings, find the Skype entry and clear your app data. We would recommend doing this while on a Wi-Fi connection so when you log back you will recover your chats quickly and without incurring additional data usage costs.

7. @Shana Pearlman,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I understand the design decision to remove phone to Skype sync was to ‘remove clutter for the average user’. This is something of an OCD these days – everywhere I go designers talk about ‘people wanting simple’, ‘intuitive’, ‘minimising the information overload’, etc. and you know what? I am a firm believer in this too. However simplifying shouldn’t be = dumbing down. I don’t see what prevented you from keeping phone to Skype sync as an option for experts like me – it’s a feature I, for one, ‘used and loved’. You want to display only Skype contacts by default? Fine with me. But that’s why settings matter.

Concerning your suggestion to Skypeout using using the dialer – it’s a valid suggestion but I am afraid it’s a DOA one, not viable outside an Internet forum. The simple reason being that the dialer is the most widely used app and there’s no way in heck I or any other user is going NOTto set dialer as default – why? Because otherwise everytime I have to dial a number I’d have to make extra two taps. Each time. Two taps per call are just incompatible with simplicity guidelines and hectic lifes in 2013. To give some perspective I’d rather add all my phone contacts to Skype (I’ve already started – not fun). If you don’t believe me how horrible of an idea it is try using your own phone for a week like this and you’ll see ;-)

Respectfully.

8. since i and my husband have new version in my phone i can NOT make calls via skype. all the time “call failed”. it’s possible to send txt messages but no calls. is it really better version? or something wrong with our phones?

• Shana Pearlman said 1 year ago

Hi Liga, can you please tell me what kind of device you have? Shana from Skype

9. How do I set my status to Busy or Away on my mobile? I need this for meetings, or when I am out and about and not really available for work but can still take IMs. Also I use skype for work but do I understand correctly that you’re going to stop doing the Desktop version, why? the whole firm uses skype for messaging etc from computer – computer – we will have to find another service if this is correct.

• Shana Pearlman said 1 year ago

Hi there,
      First of all, what mobile phone do you have?
      Secondly, you will still have Skype on your desktop – third party apps that use Skype’s API will be affected by the desktop API retirement. Hope this helps! Shana from Skype

10. Do your plans to retire the Skype Desktop API in December 2013 mean that as of January 1, 2014, Skype will no longer work on my (Toshiba Windows 7) laptop?

• Shana Pearlman said 1 year ago

Skype will still work on your laptop – the Desktop API retirement applies to third party apps. Hope this helps! Shana from Skype.

11. Great pity if Skype is taken away from desktop. What about us oldies that don’t have all the modern mobile devices.

• Shana Pearlman said 1 year ago

Sybil, you’ll still be able to use Skype on your desktop, however, you will not be able to use 3rd party apps. Hope this helps! Shana from Skype.

• Shana – you keep mentioning that people won’t lose Skype on their desktop and keep mentioning 3rd party apps. I think you need to explain what that means to those who are not app savy.

• Shana Pearlman said 12 months ago

Hi Marie, third party apps are applications that developers have built to enhance Skype’s features like call recording or apps that support hardware like phones. Here’s more about apps. We announced this week that we would be extending support for two of the most widely used features, call recording and hardware compatibility.
        However, for Skype’s native features like video and voice calling, IM, sharing photos and files, video messaging, SMS and more, all of these features that you currently enjoy on your desktop will be unaffected by this issue. Shana from Skype

12. Hi Shana, what do you mean by 3rd party apps? Does this include webcams for example?
    or Emoticons?

13. I’m very confused about the message saying that my Desktop API will no longer work after December. I didn’t know I had any kind of 3rd party app! All I know is that I searched for Skype, downloaded it and installed it. If this isn’t going to work for me now, what do I do? I have an old laptop running Vista but I use Skype to talk to my parents in Australia who are elderly and can’t cope with change very well. What am I supposed to tell them if their current version isn’t going to work any more?

• Shana Pearlman said 12 months ago

Don’t worry Dee, you and your parents in Australia will still be able to use Skype on your laptops. Best, Shana from Skype.

14. The message I received said my third party app to record voice calls will no longer work. Do you offer a free alternative or will call recording be included in the desktop version of Skype?

• Shana Pearlman said 12 months ago

Hi Kiri, we will be extending support for call recording. You can find more information here. Best, Shana from Skype