Skype and Windows Phone 8: A Match Made in Heaven
If you’re new to Skype on Windows Phone or you’re not sure you’re getting the most out of it, we’re here to help. Today I’d like to cover some of the main things you’ll want to do with Skype on your Windows phone:
• Add a contact
• Send an instant message
• Make a call
• Switch the active Skype account
Also, if you’re keen for more information, be sure to check out the Skype support site.
Adding a contact
Whether you’ve been using Skype for a while and want to add someone new, or you’re just starting out and your contact list is a blank slate, adding contacts on Windows Phone 8 is quick and easy.
To add a contact:
1. Start Skype.
2. Tap , then select add people.
3. Search for your friend by their Skype Name, name, phone number or email address.
4. Select your friend’s name from the results list, then tap Add to contacts.
5. Enter a message to introduce yourself if you’d like, then tap send .
6. Job done! Your friend will appear in your people list.
Depending on your friend’s privacy settings, they will have to accept your contact request before you can call and message them.
Once you’ve got your contacts added, you might want to know how you can manage them. Learn more about blocking or removing contacts, filtering contacts and adding contacts to your favorites.
Sending an instant message
Skype for Windows Phone 8 isn’t just about calling your friends, it’s also great for sending instant messages for free without limiting yourself to 160 characters.
To send an instant message:
1. Start Skype.
2. Tap the new chat icon and select the friends you’d like to add to the conversation.
3. Type a message into the text box and tap the send icon .
Also, why not try personalizing your instant messages with an emoticon? Simply tap the emoticon icon to add one to your instant message.
Making a call
Instant messaging is great, but for those heartfelt moments it’s tough to beat a call with a close friend or loved one. With Skype for Windows Phone 8, you can take those moments with you wherever you go.
To start a call:
1. Start Skype.
2. Select a contact from your people or recent list.
3. Tap the call icon or the video call icon depending on how you want to call them.
If you’re starting an audio call and your friend has a phone number saved, you can choose to call them on Skype by selecting call Skype, or on their phone by selecting the phone number they have saved.
Switching Skype accounts
Skype for Windows Phone 8 is designed to always keep you connected with your nearest and dearest. When you resume or start Skype it will remain signed in to your Skype account. Skype for Windows Phone 8 also allows you to switch the active Skype account.
To switch Skype accounts:
1. In the top right corner, tap your profile picture. If you haven’t set a profile picture tap
2. Tap the menu button .
3. Select switch accounts. Now you can sign in with another account or close the application.
Before you go, if you have a question about Skype for Windows Phone 8 or just want to join in on a discussion with other Skype users, why not pay a visit to the Skype Community?