Skype 6.0 for Mac and Windows Desktop
- Microsoft and Facebook Account Integration
- IM friends on Messenger
- Calling with Messenger friends is coming soon
Sign up and sign-in is easier than ever. You can now sign into Skype using your Microsoft or Facebook account – there’s no need to create a new Skype account. This makes it even easier to connect with friends on Skype without having to set up another account.
Now you can instant message your Windows Live Messenger, Hotmail and Outlook.com contacts via Skype all in one place. If you use a Microsoft account today, merging your accounts is easy – just sign in to Skype with your Microsoft account.
We’re working on polishing a feature which will enable audio and video calls to Windows Live Messenger customers using Skype desktop clients. The feature will be available in coming weeks.
Here’s more of what’s new with Skype 6.0 for Windows Desktop:
- Skype localized to six more languages
- Visual user interface refresh
- Removal of online user count
- Display previously created profile pictures
- Improved telemetry
We are excited to support our growing community around the world with new localized versions of Skype in Thai, Croatian, Slovenian, Serbian, Catalan and Slovak, bringing the total languages Skype supports to 38.
We have refreshed and flattened the Skype UI with a simpler and less cluttered look. We have updated the look of the instant messaging and SMS areas as well.
We have removed the online user counter at the bottom of your Skype Contacts list to unclutter the UI and make more space for your friends within the contacts list.
When you change your profile picture, we will now show you all of your previous Skype profile pictures so you don’t have to look through old files if you want to use a previous image.
We are constantly looking for ways to improve the quality of our product. To that end we are adding additional “opt-in” telemetry reports for users who choose this option: “Tools>> Options>>Advanced>>Tick “Help improve Skype…” The reports may contain your Skype ID and or Microsoft Account ID but we will not use it to identify or contact you.
Here’s more of what’s new with Skype 6.0 for Mac Desktop:
- Open Chats in Multiple Windows
- Retina Display Support
We hear your feedback! With this release we’ve added support to open chats in multiple windows.
We also added another feature you’ve asked for – support Retina display. Now you can take full advantage of improved usability and of higher resolution screens.
Known issues for Skype 6.0 for Mac:
|Account||On Mountain Lion the profile image picker does not work as expected – recent images can’t be seen and effects can’t be added||None available|
Release build for Skype for Windows is 220.127.116.11 and on Skype for Mac is 18.104.22.16846.
Volunteer localization of Skype for Windows has been done by:
- Bulgarian: Nikolina Filipova & Nikolay Filipov
- Chinese (Simplified): Wang Miao (TOM.com)
- Chinese (Traditional): Penny Yang, Carlos Lee (PChome)
- Czech: Petr Silon
- Dutch: Kees Koenders
- French: Fabrice Imperial & Bruno Lépaulard
- German: Claudius Henrichs & Dick Schiferli
- Hungarian: Mark Bender
- Italian: Daniele Conte
- Lithuanian: Viktoras Kriukovas
- Norwegian: Stig Auestad
- Polish: Karol Szastok
- Portuguese: Francisco Ferreira
- Romanian: Péter & Mónika Henning
- Turkish: Ömer Emin Dede
- Ukrainian: Vitaliy Kupchynskyy
Volunteer localization of Skype for Mac has been done by:
- Bulgarian: Nikolay Filipov
- Brazilian Portugese: Fabio Roselet
- Dutch: Alexander Henket
- Estonian: Triin Tähema
- French: Jean-Pierre Kuypers
- German: Claudius Henrichs
- Norwegian: Kenneth Stevenson
- Polish: Bohdan Zielinski
- Portuguese Portuguese: Francisco Miguel Ferreira
- Spanish: Carola Clavo