Skype 6.0 for Mac and Windows Desktop

Today we have released a new version of Skype for Desktop. Get it now for Windows or Mac.

What’s new:

• Microsoft and Facebook Account Integration
  • Sign up and sign-in is easier than ever. You can now sign into Skype using your Microsoft or Facebook account – there’s no need to create a new Skype account. This makes it even easier to connect with friends on Skype without having to set up another account.

• IM friends on Messenger
  • Now you can instant message your Windows Live Messenger, Hotmail and Outlook.com contacts via Skype all in one place. If you use a Microsoft account today, merging your accounts is easy – just sign in to Skype with your Microsoft account.

• Calling with Messenger friends is coming soon
  • We’re working on polishing a feature which will enable audio and video calls to Windows Live Messenger customers using Skype desktop clients. The feature will be available in coming weeks.

We want to hear your feedback. Discuss what matters to you on Skype Support Network or report glitches on our public issue tracker.

Here’s more of what’s new with Skype 6.0 for Windows Desktop:

• Skype localized to six more languages
  • We are excited to support our growing community around the world with new localized versions of Skype in Thai, Croatian, Slovenian, Serbian, Catalan and Slovak, bringing the total languages Skype supports to 38.

• Visual user interface refresh
  • We have refreshed and flattened the Skype UI with a simpler and less cluttered look. We have updated the look of the instant messaging and SMS areas as well.

• Removal of online user count
  • We have removed the online user counter at the bottom of your Skype Contacts list to unclutter the UI and make more space for your friends within the contacts list.

• Display previously created profile pictures
  • When you change your profile picture, we will now show you all of your previous Skype profile pictures so you don’t have to look through old files if you want to use a previous image.

• Improved telemetry
  • We are constantly looking for ways to improve the quality of our product. To that end we are adding additional “opt-in” telemetry reports for users who choose this option: “Tools>> Options>>Advanced>>Tick “Help improve Skype…” The reports may contain your Skype ID and or Microsoft Account ID but we will not use it to identify or contact you.

Here’s more of what’s new with Skype 6.0 for Mac Desktop:

• Open Chats in Multiple Windows
  • We hear your feedback! With this release we’ve added support to open chats in multiple windows.

• Retina Display Support
  • We also added another feature you’ve asked for – support Retina display. Now you can take full advantage of improved usability and of higher resolution screens.

Known issues for Skype 6.0 for Mac:

Category Description Workaround
Account On Mountain Lion the profile image picker does not work as expected – recent images can’t be seen and effects can’t be added None available

Release build for Skype for Windows is 6.0.0.120 and on Skype for Mac is 6.0.0.2946.

Volunteer localization of Skype for Windows has been done by:

• Bulgarian: Nikolina Filipova & Nikolay Filipov
  • Chinese (Simplified): Wang Miao (TOM.com)
  • Chinese (Traditional): Penny Yang, Carlos Lee (PChome)
  • Czech: Petr Silon

• Norwegian: Kenneth Stevenson
  • Polish: Bohdan Zielinski
  • Portuguese Portuguese: Francisco Miguel Ferreira
  • Spanish: Carola Clavo

37 thoughts on “Skype 6.0 for Mac and Windows Desktop

1. bjf2000 said 1 year ago

Please restore the “Press Enter will insert line break” option. There was no reason to remove it. While you’re at it, ensure that the “Send” button is always available, not just when the IM window is at certain widths. This also was never a problem before 6.0.

2. oxilumin said 1 year ago

Why have you removed “Ctrl+Enter” shortcut to send message? It was very useful.

3. makcumyc_ua said 1 year ago

After upgrade to 6.0.0.120 I am no longer able to send messeges by Ctrl+Enter and I can’t find option for this, like in previous versions. WTF?

4. william_muller1 said 1 year ago

If I change my mind, can I go back and separate my two accounts?

5. sykosoft said 1 year ago

What about Opus? Looking forward to that (and hopefully in the “constant crash” Android App as well, having Opus on mobile may help greatly).

6. stefan.fo said 1 year ago

Hey I love Skype and Windows Messanger, used them for many years, glad to see them becomming one. I Hope that I soon can merge my contacts into 1, like with the people hub in windows

7. byanyothername99 said 1 year ago

Please, move or remove the “via Skype” just below the text input box, it’s incredibly distracting. Even just moving it to the right justification vs left would be a great improvement.

As it is now every time I glance at my open Skype conversation I think I have something written in the text box when it’s only the “via Skype” drop down starring me in the face.

That particular drop down was never an issue in the past and the decision to place it there now seems like a poor one.

Please fix. :)

8. dave_ur said 1 year ago

Re: chatting in individual windows:

“We hear your feedback!” Really? Did you actually try to use this new feature, or just check it off a feature list because it’s *technically* possible to have individual windows now?

Not sure if you noticed the 8000 comments about this when Skype 5 came out YEARS ago, but I think what people are actually asking for is simply the Skype 2.8 chat user flow back. In order to try to achieve that now with Skype 6, I would start with the (very nicely compact yet featureless) “Contacts Monitor”, double click a user I want to chat with, which opens up the BIG chat window, then double click them in the left bar AGAIN to open up their individual chat window. See how that doesn’t quite make sense? Yeah.

Also Skype for Mac users have had to dig around the internet to get SkypeChatStyle files with reasonable margin sizes, and with Skype 6 they aren’t compatible any longer, so I’m back to only being able to see 4-5 lines of chat when i set a nice and small window size. I has a sad.

So here is my constructive feedback:

1) Download and open pretty much *any* chat client in the world, even ICQ circa 1996, or even skype before v5, and make it so we can use that workflow again. It’s simple: a compact contact status list that shows when a message is waiting from a user, and double click that contact to open up a compact chat window for just that user.

2a) Lots of people use Skype, the important thing is they use it for communication and productivity while they do *other* things, with lots of switching between windows. (e.g. browser to skype and back.) This means size does matter… we want it small, not full-screeny. (Don’t even get me started about the skype for windows 8 screenshots on the verge.) Yes, we know whitespace is the new black, but please tone it down and/or let us control how big this tool has to be. Just one example: There is seriously a *90 pixel* whitespace gap between the right edge where the message starts to wrap and the timestamp. So check this out: Sign into your gmail or gdocs account, and notice how they have a setting under their cog icon that allows the user to choose their display density of “Comfortable”, “Cozy”, and “Compact.” Just add this feature, and you’ll instantly improve the happiness of millions of skype for mac users.

2b) Make it one step better by allowing people to choose if they want to display things like contact icons on message windows, etc. I do not need to see the person’s face on the top of the window AND to the left of every one of their messages. In fact I’d prefer neither. In everyday use, I don’t care what the person looks like.

2c) In your soon-to-be-announced new compact mode, don’t show the person’s username *above* their message. It goes to the left. Not a great use of vertical space there. Think IRC style minimalist here, or at least give us the option.

Thanks, and I hope you’ll “hear this feedback” also. I’ve taken a fair bit of time on this comment as I use Skype every day all day, and I truly hope this will somehow reach your product management team. I’d be happy to be in touch via my skype id if I can be of any help with this.

-Dave

9. ozarkcanoer said 1 year ago

Does 6 support the recently fixed clicktocall for Safari?

10. wallenium said 1 year ago

Mac OS is a 64bit OS since Mountain Lion. Skype is 32bit. When will a 64bit version be released? Its one of my last 32 bit processes….

11. sukant007 said 1 year ago

great..but i am really excited for windows 8 version of skype..its coming tomorrow if i am right…happy skyping :B

12. gikkotron said 1 year ago

Hi, thanks for your awesome work :)

I’m wondering…what abount linux client? We’re still at v.4.0!

13. ubi-lee said 1 year ago

I have now merged my Skype ID with my outlook.com ID – is it at all possible to change my Skype ID to a different name?

14. rafael2machado said 1 year ago

how can I unmerge the accounts?

15. patr0n said 1 year ago

Hello,

Great update but here are my 2 cents (about the windows client)

Users can still not see their own skype “mood/status” message (which appears next to their name
    when they are viewed from another account’s contact list), people tend to set this to something important, then forget to update, which can lead to confusions (at least in a business environment), my own message should be visible and directly editable from the top of the skype main window (next to my name) like it was many years ago.

tldr: you have no idea what you have set in your status, when looking at the main window = bad!

In the chat message edit box Instead of the send message button now there’s an emoticon chooser, Why ?
    The only way of sending the message is to hit enter now ?

The SMS option was well placed above the text box until now, but now it is eating up space beneath pushing the whole box upwards. You just can’t tell which box is supposed to be more important.

tldr: The edit box feels a lot smaller and out of place, it doesn’t stand out anymore like it should (i know it can be resized, but still…)

Also why would i want to send an SMS when my contact is online ?
    (also why would i send an sms from skype at all? Okay perhaps someone does, i wouldn’t know)

Please consider these!
    Thanks for reading

16. ruwim.berkowicz said 1 year ago

Please, see this “storm” of users asking for re-establishing configuration option for sending/editing Instant Messages in the latest Skype version:

At least provide some rational explanation on why this option was removed.

17. fbraz3 said 1 year ago

Hey, and the linux client? We still on v4.0 and the integration with microsoft account would help us a lot!

18. gmahieux said 1 year ago

Here’s my feedback :

• Make it 64 bits.
    • This flat icon looks weird among all other 3D icons (at least on Mac).
    • When a contact is selected in the list, it is difficult to see the icon (again, because it is flat and the dark green color is too similar to the grey/blue background of the selected contact).
    • Seriously stop with this flat-mania. And some icons are still not flat. When you make a change like this, stick to it in the whole UI.
    • New emoticons sucks. They were simple and cute before.
    • The emoticons pannel’s (darker) title bar is ugly.

People used Skype because Messenger sucked. Please don’t turn Skype into the new Messenger.

19. onelag said 1 year ago

I upgraded to skype 6 and loved it. But today, someone tried to add me in MSN messenger and I never got the contact request. Also, it’s impossible to add a new contact to my MSN Messenger list (on “add contact” only skype names are possible).

How do I solve this?

20. karsten.keese.1 said 1 year ago

There is no rational explanation for degrading something that was optional into something that is forced upon the user. It is always better to have a choice than having none, and something that is different from just about any other software on the planet simply does not make sense. In Microsoft’s other products and every application that handles text entries, [ENTER] inserts a new line, whereas [CTRL]+[ENTER] or [SHIFT]+[ENTER] can result in all kinds of different behaviours, from inserting a new page to sending messages or whatsoever. Having to think of holding down the [CTRL] or [SHIFT] key to avoid sending unfinished or unedited messages prematurely is an unnecessary pain in a part that the sun never tans.

Please see to it that the “Pressing ENTER will insert a new line” option is restored as soon as possible.

While you are at it: the little [via Skype] button underneath the text field is unnecessary, distracting and the same as the big, fat, green button underneath the contact’s picture, so it could just as well be eliminated from the bottom.

21. mamafaustine said 1 year ago

i am unable to download to my 2007 powerbooks. what gives? i’ve been a paying customer of skype for years. now I can’t make calls and I’m going to start looking for another supplier of these kinds of services. An expat in China, I’ve relied on Skype for years, but this supposed improvement stinks.

22. jumbomania1 said 1 year ago

For Mac, can you please add the option to put notifications in the Notification Center, and not Skype’s own system. Thank You! :)

23. niguulsel said 1 year ago

Skype 6 for Windows again does not display cyrillic script in the chat input window.
    It was happened on vesion 5.8, and later corrected.
    But now happens again.
    I checked several PCs, it happens on Windows 7 both 32 and 64 bit, and English and Japanese systems.
    No problem on Windows XP.

24. miikirby2766 said 1 year ago

The version number for Windows is posted as “6.0.0.120″, however when Skype is updated, the About Skype says “6.0.60.120″. Could you please revise this post with the correct version number?

25. w.gromit1 said 1 year ago

Please restore the “Press Enter will insert line break” option

26. johndoe5456 said 1 year ago

Remote Desktop Services finally supported this time?

27. investate said 1 year ago

Downloaded the new version. But I found that my Skype and Microsoft accounts were automatically merged !! The problem is, that was not the Microsoft account I want to merge; now my Live Msgr’s contacts do not appear in Skype.
    So, How do I change the account linkage ??!

28. investate said 1 year ago

So, How do I change the account linkage ??!

29. lachlanhunt said 1 year ago

> With this release we’ve added support to open chats in multiple windows.

How? I’ve tried everything I can think of to actually do this, but I can only get a single main window with every chat in it. I’ve tried double clicking on the names in that side bar, looking in the menus and context menus, checking the preferences for somewhere to enable that, but I can’t find it anywhere. Please explain what I’m missing?

30. mrmaxali said 1 year ago

This version is using the CPU while not doing anything. I was just browsing the web, and I noticed a huge CPU usage. I am not Skyping! What its doing in the backgroud?

Here is the screen shot (click to maximize):

31. all.technologies.brasil said 1 year ago

How do I import my messenger contacts?

32. andorkonrat said 1 year ago

Will there be an update of other platforms (ie. Android) too?
    (Right now, despite merging contacts from MSN to Skype, cannot see MSN contacts on other platforms. – Would be a great feature to have!)
    Ta.

33. ricurvelo said 1 year ago

Please, bring back the “Ring on all devices” option for de áudio settings. Thank you

34. i.rull said 1 year ago

After upgrading Skype when contacts are geting online I only hear the sound but I don’t see the notification on the right even if is selected to show up.

35. sara.omberg said 1 year ago

Please give us compact mode for Mac as in the older versions. I just want a simple list with my contacts, click one of them and a chat window opens. ”Contact monitor” looks fine, until you wanna chat, then the entire ”new” layout opens and it covers pretty much half the screen and i cant change the height of it.

Bigger isn’t always better.

36. philpera said 1 year ago

I want to know who should be thanks for removing free sharing screen feature on Mac OS X.
    Back to 5.8.

37. Mac still lacks the “Compact View” Windows has – I don’t want to see “Skype home” or the main window ever.
    Also, there is still no option to make new chats “pop up” without user interaction. I need that, I can’t afford to miss a chat so I’d rather have it interrupt me and steal my focus than not to see it at all.