Skype 4.0 for Linux

First off, we’d like to thank our Skype for Linux users for your patience awaiting Skype 4.0 for Linux, codenamed ‘Four Rooms for Improvement,’ which is now available. With this release, we have finally filled the gap with our other desktop clients and we are now making many of the latest Skype features, as well as a lot of UI improvements, available to our penguin lovers.

You will find four major changes in this release:

1. We have a new Conversations View where users can easily track all of their chats in a unified window. Those users who prefer the old view can disable this in the Chat options;
  2. We have a brand new Call View;
  3. Call quality has never been better thanks to several investments we made in improving audio quality; and
  4. We’ve worked on improving video call quality and have also extended support for more cameras.

Of course, we have loads of other small improvements and fixes. As you can imagine, the list is so long it would take too much time to write it all, but some are worthy of mention:

• improved chat synchronization
  • new presence and emoticon icons
  • the ability to store and view phone numbers in a Skype contact’s profile
  • much lower chance Skype for Linux will crash or freeze
  • chat history loading is now much faster
  • support for two new languages: Czech (flag:cz) and Norwegian (flag:no)

Note, the very first time you start Skype for Linux 4.0 might take a few minutes (depending on how lengthy your chat history is). Please do not close Skype during this time. Subsequent starts will load much more quickly.

So what are you waiting for? Try the new version of Skype for Linux and let us know what you like and what you don’t like. Please report any issues or share your feedback in our Support Network or our public issue tracker so we can make the Skype for Linux experience even better.

Marco, KC and the Linux team

Skype for Linux is available in the following languages:

Brazilian Portuguese (Eduardo Porto Teixeira), Bulgarian (Nikolay Filipov & Nikolina Filipova), Czech (Alexandr Kara), Estonian, French (Cédric Lamouche), German (Claudius Henrichs), Italian (Marco Cimmino), Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian (Viktoras Kriukovas), Norwegian (Alexander Stevenson), Polish (Karol Szastok), Portuguese (Francisco Miguel Ferreira), Romanian, Russian (Pavel Shevchuk), Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish (Ömer Emin Dede), Ukrainian (Oleh Nykyforchyn)

Update 17.06.2012:
Generic packages are now available.

397 thoughts on “Skype 4.0 for Linux

1. lorenzo_burtone said 2 years ago

It can’t be true!!! After years of beta I am going to install my first official release of skype for linux! and it happend with Microsoft! Nice work, thanks!

2. bdiaconu said 2 years ago

@jiayingxu : Thank you for the trick.
    NB: Subfolder can be used too for dbpath (eg ~/.Skype/User1 or ~/.Skype/User2) – because 2.2 created users data under Skype folder.

3. neocool_xii said 2 years ago

very nice increment, thank you Marco and team Any plans on implementing a send file button into the interface again ? I’m loving the recents sidebar, since it practically eliminates having to use the main list window about 90% of the time, (for me anyway) but I do also send files quite a bit, so using the context menu for the respective buddy is just slightly tedious, thanks

4. vyrgozunqk said 2 years ago

Works perfect for me. No problems.
    Love the new look and feel!
    Thank you skype developers!

5. mariano_absatz said 2 years ago

How hard is to make a _real_ 64 bit implementation?… installing the “pseudo-64bit” package in ubuntu 12.04… still downloading 80Mb+ of 32 bits libraries

6. jiayingxu said 2 years ago

Many thanks for your reply, regarding v2.2.0.99, Marco.

7. seregik.l2000 said 2 years ago

Hi! Again, I,ve got the inverted screen when I make any videocalls from Skype to my contacts… please, how could I solve it??? My operativing system is Debian Wheezy 64 bits at ASUS Laptop N61Jv. Nevertheless, with other programs my camera has not got any problems, only with old and new versions of Skype.

For a moment, the unique temporary solution I found is to type in a terminal as root:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

Any other suggestions are welcome… Thank you in advance!!!

• Marco Cimmino said 2 years ago

@seregik.l2000
      What does it mean “inverted”? Upside down or mirrored? If you mean the latter then own preview is mirrored, but your contacts will see you correctly.

8. jospoortvliet said 2 years ago

I’d suggest to try and use build.opensuse.org to build packages next time… That way you can easily support multiple linux distro’s – in case of build.o.o that would be about 27 distro’s on 7 architectures. The Open Build Service, of which build.o.o is an instance, supports pretty much anything, including Windows – you can run it in-house to do all your building in an easy and automated way, see open-build-service.org

(just sayin’ cuz I didn’t see 64 bit images for openSUSE, hehe)

9. bkmeneguello said 2 years ago

Why don’t you distribute skype as a shared lib and let the community do its best and integrate skype with our favourite messengers?

10. drees76 said 2 years ago

Now that generic packages are published, the generic dynamic version works well so far on CenttOS 6. Primary regression I notice so far with Skype 4 on Linux is as maxevron noted a few days ago – Skype w/PulseAudio no longer differentiates between system sounds and voice sound so one can’t send system sounds to main speakers and voice to headset.

Bummer since that means I have to switch the sound config when going between chatting and calling.

11. franzatti said 2 years ago

Thanks Marco.

12. vdboor said 2 years ago

Thank you! This is great work, great to see such improvements to Skype on Linux. It never felt that complete next to the Windows/Mac client. Happy to see that improved under Microsoft’s supervision.

I’m also curious how you’ve experienced developping Skype for Linux / Qt. Would you consider a blog post (or personal one elsewhere) to evaluate that? I’m looking forward to it.

13. sipan_ said 2 years ago

all home directories on on all of our Linux systems are network directories (NFS) and the new version fails to log users in. If ~/.Skype/ directory and ~/.Skype/shared.xml file are soft-links to directory and file on the local disk, then everything works. if ~/.Skype/shared.xml is on NFS, then user has to accept license and enter password everytime. If ~/.Skype/ is on NFS , then login fails all the time.

• Marco Cimmino said 2 years ago

@sipan_
      Someone else reported that, but we do really need that you file a ticket in our bug tracker with logs, everything is linked in the post.

14. ignas.anikevicius said 2 years ago

I have just tried all the new features of the new Skype and I think it is a huge improvement over the old one. Thank you for your work!

The only thing which is left to do until it’s a perfect VoIP sollution is to have an official support for Bitlbee IRC gateway, which would allow people to have more flexibility in how Skype can be run.

Either way,
    thanks very much…

15. fab4mas said 2 years ago

great work: only a question: is possibile to have only one window for skype and chat as it happen in windows? At the moment the new chat window (that is a great step in the right direction) make the skype window useless ’cause both the windows contain the contact list.

• Marco Cimmino said 2 years ago

@fab4mas
      Actually no they do _not_ contain both the contact list, recent list represents the recent conversations you had, each item can be hidden using CTRL+W

16. mancontr said 2 years ago

One constructive criticism for the last version: when on a video call, the video area keeps getting resized/moved when the mouse moves over the window, as the buttons below change and the two sets are of different height. It’s very frustrating to have the video move constantly for no reason, so… could it be possible to make its size and position fixed?
    Thanks!

17. bwpearre said 2 years ago

Thought you were dead; switched to Google Video Chat.

Does this mean that you will be bumping up the effort on this product? I’ll give Skype another hard look when I see some commitment to the Linux version. I do like the thought of encryption, but I’ve got to admit that using a tier-1 product is mighty fine.

18. smihael-eee said 2 years ago

KDE 4 (Oxygen) integration still doesn’t work on 64-bit systems.

19. jsilveronnelly said 2 years ago

I’ve been using the new Skype for Linux 4.0 for about a week now. It is an improvement in every way, so far, over the 2.something beta version.

Kudos/good job/thanks!

Using Skype 4 on Linux on Ubuntu 10.04

20. phonolith42 said 2 years ago

Great to get a recent version of the client. However it does not do very well with a dark colour KDE theme. Contacts and titles have a light background (almost white) and the same text colour. Thus you cant read anything in these fields.

Switching to Cleanlooks style in Skype allows to read the text at least. But contrast still is awful.

Would be great to see a fix for that.

21. seregik.l2000 said 2 years ago

The image is upside down, Marco, you could see it here:

Thanks a lot for your response!!!

Marco Cimmino commented Monday, Jun 18

@seregik.l2000

seregik.l2000 commented Monday, Jun 18

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

Any other suggestions are welcome… Thank you in advance!!!

• Marco Cimmino said 2 years ago

@seregik.l2000
      The link you posted give me a 404 page not found.
      But anyway please open a ticket in our bug tracker with logs of a call, details of your camera and everything that can be useful (OS, 32 or 64 bit…)

22. kees.mroffice said 2 years ago

fedora 64bit +1

23. santiago2203 said 2 years ago

Thank you!!! 64bit +1

24. alonblue said 2 years ago

Dear users,
    Marco will now be departing on a well deserved vacation. Please wish him a good trip.

Marco’s manager

25. seregik.l2000 said 2 years ago

@Marco Cimmino

Thanks Marco! I’m sorry, I have no problems with that link, but I upload the pictures referenced here:

Of course, thanks, I’ll look for the link and will open a new ticket in your bug tracker…

Marco Cimmino commented Wednesday, Jun 20

@seregik.l2000
    The link you posted give me a 404 page not found.

26. windzor_18 said 2 years ago

Skype guys,
    THANKS A LOT FOR UPDATING THE LINUX VERSION, REALLY, I APPRECIATE IT. THANKS AGAIN! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!

27. torsten.romer said 2 years ago

Looks like a big improvement, but it seems unable to connect with a (HTTPS) proxy requiring authentication. I also tried a proxy that does not require authentication, it didn’t connect either.
    Had to reverted to the old 2.2 release.

28. orionmetrics said 2 years ago

I suspect this comment will be deleted.. but this new plugin makes calls now impossible.. I use skype in my business, and unable to use this new plugin.. had to revert to the 2.2 version. Audio breaks up after only a few seconds.. unusable.

29. cere23 said 2 years ago

Good Stuff guys !

30. todoesnormal said 2 years ago

Thanks. It’s great

31. franco.tampieri said 2 years ago

On Gnome-Shell the screen Sharing still buggy
    But the rest is very improved

32. culinor said 2 years ago

Thank you for respecting the Linux community!

33. tstorck said 2 years ago

Thanks a lot for the effort you put into this. Compared to the previous version it is a truly HUGE improvement. Awesome job
    Sure, there are some issues remaining (e.g. there are some strange webcam brightness auto-adjustment going on on my laptop, video area is resized when mouse moves in full screen, a single window mode might be welcome, integration with the desktop environment could be better), but I’m sure you can fix that in time. I think the most important thing is that there is a (for many users) usable Skype on Linux now.
    I’m really glad you reached this milestone. Now, keep up the good work please

34. descide said 2 years ago

Great job! Cannot believe it when first seeing this. Would be even better, if the UI of the Ubuntu version is made somehow more “Unity-like”, e.g. using (transparent) purple instead of blue. Admittedly, Linux users are more diverged, and not easily satisfied.

35. lfarkas said 2 years ago

it seem you still not support rhel-6 even 6.3 where alsa-lib is 1.0.22 the fedora build is require 1.0.23 and libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.13) while fedora build is require libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.15).
    would you be so kind to rebuild it on rhel 6?
    or even dare i ask for an 64bit build too? does it really so complicated (if you already build for debian and ubuntu 64bit)?

36. ktest.mcquack said 2 years ago

Crashes with a segfault Fedora 16 64-bit.

This occurs whenever there is an event waiting. The crash does not occur until the event indicator is clicked or an existing chat is opened.

It works on some Fedora 16 64-bit installs and not on others. And on those on which it works, it works for a while, then goes into a mode in which it never will run again without getting the segfault.

I’ve run it under GDB and here is the backtrace:

(gdb) bt
    #0 0x082d3843 in ?? ()
    #1 0x08093cef in ?? ()
    #2 0x080aa2e8 in ?? ()
    #3 0x080aa7f1 in ?? ()
    #4 0x082c10cf in ?? ()
    #5 0x47d0d2f1 in QMetaObject::activate(QObject*, QMetaObject const*, int, void**) ()
    from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
    #6 0x486e79ce in QAbstractButton::clicked(bool) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #7 0x483d87fe in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #8 0x483d9ed0 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #9 0x483da186 in QAbstractButton::mouseReleaseEvent(QMouseEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #10 0x484b3f3e in QToolButton::mouseReleaseEvent(QMouseEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #11 0x48009fbd in QWidget::event(QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #12 0x483d93f1 in QAbstractButton::event(QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #13 0x484b56ad in QToolButton::event(QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #14 0x47faf264 in QApplicationPrivate::notify_helper(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #15 0x47fb532a in QApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #16 0x47cf8eae in QCoreApplication::notifyInternal(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
    #17 0x47fb0236 in QApplicationPrivate::sendMouseEvent(QWidget*, QMouseEvent*, QWidget*, QWidget*, QWidget**, QPointer&, bool) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #18 0x48039f5c in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #19 0x48038f3d in QApplication::x11ProcessEvent(_XEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #20 0x48064085 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #21 0x4bee6aff in g_main_context_dispatch () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
    #22 0x4bee7240 in ?? () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
    #23 0x4bee74ef in g_main_context_iteration () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
    #24 0x47d2bbd8 in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents(QFlags) ()
    from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
    #25 0x48063d1b in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #26 0x47cf7a9e in QEventLoop::processEvents(QFlags) ()
    from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
    #27 0x47cf7d49 in QEventLoop::exec(QFlags) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
    #28 0x47cfd1eb in QCoreApplication::exec() () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
    #29 0x47fad095 in QApplication::exec() () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
    #30 0x0807bca2 in ?? ()
    #31 0x4bb886b3 in __libc_start_main () from /lib/libc.so.6
    #32 0x080896ad in ?? ()

37. michal_sol said 2 years ago

Hey Skype Linux team, first of all thank you very much for releasing a new version of Skype even though it’s hard to push support for GNU/Linux in corporate environment that’s run by Microsoft. Honestly, I would never expect this to happen

Unfortunately, I have the same problem as ktest.mcquack – my Skype segfaults after I use the program and click on events list and open a new chat window. I’m using Qt version 4.8.2 and KDE 4.8.4 (release 7) on OpenSuSE Tumbleweed with Linux kernel 3.4.3-30 on 32 bit machine.

I would send you the logs if they weren’t encrypted, so I could verify the information I’m sending to you for potential privacy issues. Also doing the backtrace is illegal according to the license. Therefore I cannot provide you with more information.

38. ysuire said 2 years ago

Wow thank you very much, i thought since Microsoft bought it that our linux version would stay 2.2 beta forever ! Thanks guys !

39. sergejkozin said 2 years ago

I have same problem in Ubuntu 12.04 amd64, kernel 3.2.0-26. Skype worked fine about 10 days. But once skype has hunged when I try to open chat. After that skype crashes always when I open chat.

40. aigars.silkalns said 2 years ago

Thanks for updated version! Finally we can use features that were available for MAC and Windows users for years. It is still positive that Skype is owned by Linux direct competitors but development for Linux platform still continues.

Here is a quick guide on how to install Skype 4 on Ubuntu 12.04. http://ubuntulife.net/how-to-install-skype-in-ubuntu-12-04/
    Worked perfectly on my system

41. gekapes said 2 years ago

Thanks guys for a new version! Everybody has been expecting it for a long-long time!
    However I have some problems with the sound. Namely, during the video and audio chat, there is a white noise on the line. Especially on the side of a friend – he/she almost hear nothing. When both sides wear earphones – the sound gets better, however the problems still remains. On the windows-version I do not have this problem at all. I also do not have this problem using google-chat in Ubuntu.
    My system:
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64bit)
    Skype 4.0.0.7-1
    On the previous beta-version (2.2) the sound was better, however some little white-noise was present.
    Thank you in advance! Ciao!

42. torsten.romer said 2 years ago

I have to correct my previous comment regarding the proxy: The proxy is actually working fine when I am “inside” the company network, but when I connect trough the (Cisco) VPN, where I also have to use the proxy, Skype 4 cannot connect. The old 2.2 did not have this problem.

43. sammic_aroncal said 2 years ago

Crash crash crash! unusable. Running Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64
    I would send my stacktrace if i’d know how. Can’t use Skype at all in my job

• Marco Cimmino said 2 years ago

@sammic_aroncal and to all that experienced a frequent crash using the Skype 4.0
      Please use an older version and change your own Country to something different and save.
      The cause of the crash has been identified and fixed for the next version, we apologize for this.
      Reference: https://jira.skype.com/browse/SCL-828

44. alexander.nemtsev said 2 years ago

thanks a lot for the update. the new version runs so much faster than the previous one. you did a great job. hats off.

45. marcus.povey said 2 years ago

Nice, couple of minor points:

- Numeric key presses no longer register in call window when using the keypad, you need to open the keypad window first.
    – Once this is done, number keys are recognised correctly but ‘#’ is registered as ‘0’ (not a encoding error, you can see the control depress)

• Marco Cimmino said 2 years ago

@marcus.povey
      1. correct, you need to open the numeric pad first
      2. actually there was exactly a bug in Skype for Linux 2.2 where 0 and # were not recognized, now they should, we tested it with a DTMF repeater.
      Can you tell me how to reproduce the issue? A number to call?

46. sergejkozin said 2 years ago

Thank you, Marco. Your solution works for me.

47. sammic_aroncal said 2 years ago

@MarcoCimmino: it worked! Thank you for the quick response! Keep improving Skype 4 Linux!

48. amikot said 2 years ago

There are problems with reciving desktop from friend. I have black screen.
    Only sometimes it works.

49. rea987 said 2 years ago

When is it going to be added to the partner repos of Ubuntu and Linux Mint? Thanks…

50. jpberdejo said 2 years ago

+1 for Fedora 64 bits!

If you already have Skype 64 bits for Ubuntu and Debian, why not recompile for Fedora?