Skype 4.0 for Linux

First off, we’d like to thank our Skype for Linux users for your patience awaiting Skype 4.0 for Linux, codenamed ‘Four Rooms for Improvement,’ which is now available. With this release, we have finally filled the gap with our other desktop clients and we are now making many of the latest Skype features, as well as a lot of UI improvements, available to our penguin lovers.

You will find four major changes in this release:

1. We have a new Conversations View where users can easily track all of their chats in a unified window. Those users who prefer the old view can disable this in the Chat options;
  2. We have a brand new Call View;
  3. Call quality has never been better thanks to several investments we made in improving audio quality; and
  4. We’ve worked on improving video call quality and have also extended support for more cameras.

Of course, we have loads of other small improvements and fixes. As you can imagine, the list is so long it would take too much time to write it all, but some are worthy of mention:

• improved chat synchronization
  • new presence and emoticon icons
  • the ability to store and view phone numbers in a Skype contact’s profile
  • much lower chance Skype for Linux will crash or freeze
  • chat history loading is now much faster
  • support for two new languages: Czech (flag:cz) and Norwegian (flag:no)

Note, the very first time you start Skype for Linux 4.0 might take a few minutes (depending on how lengthy your chat history is). Please do not close Skype during this time. Subsequent starts will load much more quickly.

So what are you waiting for? Try the new version of Skype for Linux and let us know what you like and what you don’t like. Please report any issues or share your feedback in our Support Network or our public issue tracker so we can make the Skype for Linux experience even better.

Marco, KC and the Linux team

Skype for Linux is available in the following languages:

Brazilian Portuguese (Eduardo Porto Teixeira), Bulgarian (Nikolay Filipov & Nikolina Filipova), Czech (Alexandr Kara), Estonian, French (Cédric Lamouche), German (Claudius Henrichs), Italian (Marco Cimmino), Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian (Viktoras Kriukovas), Norwegian (Alexander Stevenson), Polish (Karol Szastok), Portuguese (Francisco Miguel Ferreira), Romanian, Russian (Pavel Shevchuk), Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish (Ömer Emin Dede), Ukrainian (Oleh Nykyforchyn)

Update 17.06.2012:
Generic packages are now available.

397 thoughts on “Skype 4.0 for Linux

1. lemonsforlemonade said 3 years ago

Thanks for the update! Skype looks better than ever! Is there a way to put Skype video in its own window? In Windows one has to uncheck “Show call controls when Skype is in the background”, in the last Linux version I think it was easily done as well. I don’t need to see myself and the big window takes up a lot of room on a 15 inch screen.

2. zzecool said 3 years ago

What about if i dont want any chat history ??

I have disabled chat history in the skype options but the chat history is still loading and stored on the server ….

This is unacceptable and a huge privacy flaw.

3. amikot said 3 years ago

I have noticed problems with avatars in call window when talking in conference mode (with 7 users).
    After some clicks on that avatars they start to switch places and blinking.

Is there chance for fix ?

• Marco Cimmino said 3 years ago

@amikot
      Yes we identified this problem and unluckily fix wasn’t easy so at the last minute we dropped it, for sure it will be in the next release.
      As a workaround try to maximize the window size, should at least help.

4. joh_pet said 3 years ago

Great!
    Would it be possible to provide the tar.gz versions as you did with the previous version?

• Marco Cimmino said 3 years ago

@joh_pet
      My bad, they’re coming, apologize for this delay.

5. djedai108 said 3 years ago

thank you, best regards!

6. msilberg05 said 3 years ago

A lot of thanks for the latest version of Skype. Now my old webcam just works. UI is much cleaner and easier.
    Note, before my installation I needed to install “lib32asound2″ package, I’m running Ubuntu 64bit, I hope that will help.

7. ovidiuvisan said 3 years ago

Excellent work. +10 guys, keep it coming. We need also plugins.

8. exim4000 said 3 years ago

Problem with Fedora 14:

skype: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.15′ not found (required by skype)

But
    rpm -qf /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 libstdc++-4.5.1-4.fc14.i686
    yum info libstdc++-4.5.1-4.fc14.i686 gives
    Name : libstdc++
    Arch : i686
    Version : 4.5.1
    Release : 4.fc14

The version is much newer than the requested 3.4.15.

Please fix it.

Regards, Frank

9. djaoskype said 3 years ago

@exmi4000: Install libstdc++-4.6.3-2.fc15.i686.rpm from Fedora 15 on your Fedora 14 machine. You may need to pull in the other gcc packages from Fedora 15 as well. It’s unsupported but it will work. I’ve done this. Incidentally Fedora 15 is still supported by RedHat (until June 26) and the new skype works there without any hacks.

Marco: while many of the complaints in the comments have merit, there are many happy users of Skype 4.0 on Linux who do not go out of their way to post here. I’ve had zero problems with the new release and am loving it.

10. john_se_gnu said 3 years ago

Just reporting the new client runs great on gentoo 64bit for me!
    (Use the debian64 .deb, extract the files, copy to /)

Thanks for the release!

11. djaoskype said 3 years ago

@bagliesi: In the exact center of the toolbar on the bottom of the call window, there is a dialpad button that brings up the numeric keypad.

12. tomchiv said 3 years ago

Wow. A year goes by in silence, then you drop a great little update

What happened to the GUI-less version so it could be integrated as a library with Kopete or Telepathy ?

Also, a Debian repository would be handy, as would updating the version available in Ubuntu by default – which reminds me, why is that really the most recent (LTS?) version? Two years old ? Seems to run OK on 12.4 LTS here btw.

13. summermatthias said 3 years ago

An x86 version for fedora is missing. Is there a chance to get such a version?

14. iceman.ice said 3 years ago

when skype repo will be updated to include this new version

using Fedora 17/x64

15. patrickdickey_52761 said 3 years ago

A question that I have is this. In order to do a “group” video chat, the requirements used to be that at least one person must have Skype Premium, and all parties had to be on the Windows v5.x version of Skype. With the update to v4.x on Linux, is that still a requirement?

With all due respect, if that’s still the requirements, then we’re being treated as second-class citizens. I totally understand that Windows users make up 90%+ of your user-base, and that it makes sense to roll out features there first. But, those features have been out for a while now (six months to a year at least), so there’s no reason why they couldn’t be rolled out on Linux/Mac as well.

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.

16. marzzbar said 3 years ago

This is great! A much more stable product and updated UI. Thanks for taking care of your linux users!
    Thanks also for not screwing it up, like Skype 5 for mac. I wasn’t actually a fan of the conversations all being in the one window, but you included the option to change this back, so thanks!!

17. squaregoldfish said 3 years ago

Just installed the static version on Ubuntu 12.04 and it works a treat. Looks good to! Let’s hope the wait isn’t so long next time

18. bekartik said 3 years ago

Guys, you are awesome! Thank you! I am so happy…

19. sitkalogic said 3 years ago

Thanks so much – I had given up on you folks.

You know, a little more communication in the future in terms of release plans would do wonders for your relationship with the Linux community. Don’t get me wrong, this is a fantastic update – I just wish we’d known you were working on it!

Thank you again.

20. jbyer_tx said 3 years ago

This new version fails to open if the home directory is NFS but the previous version works fine.

21. djheroez said 3 years ago

I’m running this update on Fedora 17 64 bits with Pulse Audio and it is working great!

I’d like to have a 64 bits version for Fedora. Is there a release on future?

22. realwhz said 3 years ago

I’ve just installed the new version on my notebook running Debian 64-bit sid. Everything goes well. Thank you very much.

23. unc0nnected said 3 years ago

New skype same bloody problems.. Not much use all of these new additions if there’s still so many problems with 64 bit users and pulseaudio that prevent the sound from working at all.

24. mottocross22 said 3 years ago

thank you very very much!

25. sergio.weizenegger said 3 years ago

I almost cried when I saw this. You don’t have an idea of how happy this makes me. It was so depressing seeing this product without updates for so long. I’m a paying customer of the Skype service, I use Skype mostly for work and my only OS is Linux… you can imagine how important is Skype for me.

26. miciinc said 3 years ago

Hi Marco and team!
    First, thank you for the update! Even if it took that long…..
    Yesterday, I tried to install it on my openSuse 11.4 box, but it failed because of the lack of libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.15).
    11.4 seems not to be supported by Skype anymore, but it’s still supported by Suse itself…
    Any solution?

27. estevetpatina said 3 years ago

i expected much more in 3 years, are you really sooooo slooooow copying some code from the windows version!?

28. zanval1 said 3 years ago

clean Ubuntu 64-Bit here, had a first call and it works wonderfully.

Please consider integrating it into Unitys Message Indicator rather than having an own icon?

If people dont know how to use dconf-editor, skype is very very messy!
    (The Taskbar Icon isnt whitelisted in Unity by default)

29. fotanus said 3 years ago

Thank you very much!

30. boxofrox.lol said 3 years ago

Having the same issue that komzpa had.

“It merely fails for me. The only console output is “aborted”. Is there anything I can do to fix/debug this issue?”

I know komzpa’s fix was to remove the .Skype settings from version 2.2.

Marco, if you still want to investigate this issue, I’d be happy to assist.

• Marco Cimmino said 3 years ago

@boxofrox.lol
      Yes please open a ticket in your bug tracker with logs, link is above.

31. tobizskype said 3 years ago

I’ve installed Skype 4.0 on my Ubuntu 10.04 system without problem but making calls doesn’t work! Calling the test service works, ie I can record a msg and it’s played back but it takes too long for me to get logged in and when I call a real Skype user they can’t see my video, there’s an impossible delay on sound, and their video will freeze after about 10s. I know my internet connection is ok and fast enough, eg didn’t have these problems with v 2.2. So good effort but still needs a lot of work to be useful.

• Marco Cimmino said 3 years ago

@tobizskype
      Unluckily Ubuntu 10.04 has very old PulseAudio, for the best experience we recommend to upgrade to latest LTS.

32. perezbayer said 3 years ago

Is not Linux but GNU/Linux

33. lemuelroberto said 3 years ago

Thanks a lot! This version is very good.

The interface is really cool and the performance is fantastic.

Congrats! ;D

34. tuxor1337 said 3 years ago

Sorry, but it’s 93 MB of additional 32bit libraries on a 64bit Fedora machine. That’s not cool! Why can’t you simply build a 64bit rpm package?!

35. sysaxed said 3 years ago

Users list is too wide and there’s no way to resize it. It’s possible to hide it, but I simply want it to be just a bit smaller. Please fix that.

36. pumeling said 3 years ago

Just upgraded Skype 4.0 on two machines running Kubuntu 12.04 (x86_64) following the instructions found on http://www.noobslab.com/2012/06/install-skype-40-in-ubuntulinux-mint.html – runs without issues up to now. Thanks for continued Linux support, Skype/Microsoft.

37. archish_007 said 3 years ago

Does this new version use VP8 codec like windows client?
    Thanks.

38. sysaxed said 3 years ago

Skype 4.0 uses 125 MB of memore(2.2 used about 40, which already was too much)
    Come on… Any light OS uses less memory than Skype

39. seregik.l2000 said 3 years ago

@Marco Cimmino

Hi! I,ve got the inverted screen when I make any videocalls from Skype to my contacts… please, how could I solve it??? My operativing system is Debian Wheezy 64 bits at ASUS Laptop N61Jv. Nevertheless, with other programs my camera has not got any problems, only with old and new versions of Skype. Thanks!

40. amikot said 3 years ago

I cant recive screen share from my friend thats using latest skype on windows 7 in full hd resolution (1920×1080).
    I see only place where video schould be, its black, or there is only frame on background gradient.

41. bagliesi said 3 years ago

@djaoskype: sorry, I see just a “+” at the bottom of the call window, with various options, but none of them brings up a numeric keypad. I would need a keypad to send DTMF tones, and I am not able to find any option to do it in skype 4.0.0.7

• Marco Cimmino said 3 years ago

@bagliesi
      The dialpad button is showed only if you have at least a PSTN number in your call, we understand that some people might need it anyway, so we’ll introduce a short-cut.
      Apologize for this.

42. cto.ginosi.com said 3 years ago

Has anybody figured out how to run MULTIPLE INSTANCES of Skype 4.0 under Ubuntu 12.04 please post it here. Thanks, I’m dying to know.

43. roby_zanders said 3 years ago

Thank you team, for this really good work. Installed on my openSUSE 12.1 64bit without problems. From 2.2 Betaversion to this 4.0 Version it was a very long way to go, for the team and for us users too.
    hope it goes on…

44. ssokolow said 3 years ago

@Marco:

1. Ok. I’ve got 6.2MiB of logs in which I try making a test call and open up the video test panel. I’ll get them up on the tracker A.S.A.P.
    2. Here are my main, constructive comments on the interface:
      1. The default size of the Skype call window is three times as wide as it needs to be and, if you drag it to its minimum width, it’s still just under twice as wide as it needs to be… though allowing the animated dots to be collapsed away is something I do have to thank you for. (Could the padding be reduced to something like 10px?)
      2. The minimum width the text-chat window gives to the window manager is too large… especially if you shrink or hide the “Recent” sidebar. Couldn’t you set that as the default size for first run and just let me drag it to any size the Qt widgets find acceptable? I am the only one who has to look at it, after all.
      3. I’d really like to have a “send” button in text chat so I can paste a URL and send it without having to take my hand off the mouse. (Also a problem in Skype 2.2)
      4. In the toolbar at the top of the text chat window, the combination of the background color and the styles used on the “Call” and “Add Participant” icons make it feel like it’s not using the system widget and icon themes.

I can understand preferring the Skype call icon over “call-start” from the system icon theme for branding reasons, but it would really help if the “add participant” button used “add” from the system theme if possible. I’m not sure whether the “load previous history” button is using a system icon or not, since it looks familiar but I don’t think it’s part of the particular theme I have configured. (I suspect Skype is either hard-coding an icon from Ubuntu’s default theme or failing to pick up the theme specified by my LXDE control panel)

It would also really help if the upper toolbar used the same background color as the lower toolbar (the one with the emoticon icon), which is taken from the system theme rather than being a noticeably out-of-place shade of gray.

3. I’m using a Microsoft Kinect as my webcam with the out-of-the-box *buntu-provided 12.04 LTS drivers. It Just Works™ in everything but Skype, where I get a black square in the test window unless I use the preload.

Also, it’s more a packaging and website issue, but the 64-bit packages don’t work in Ubuntu 12.04 and above because 64-bit Debian and Ubuntu switched to natively supporting multi-arch installs… which means the ia32-libs package no longer exists. (Users can install the 32-bit package on 64-bit Ubuntu and it’ll just pull in the appropriate 32-bit dependencies, but they need to be informed of that fact.)

In case you have trouble replicating any of the problems, I’m running 64-bit Lubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS (Precise), installed from scratch less than a month ago. My homedir was preserved from 11.10 (Oneiric) and began its life in 11.04 (Natty) but I haven’t modified the theming options and they appear to be identical to those used in a freshly-created user account.

45. rsthdn said 3 years ago

wow…. thanks a lot TEAM SKYPE.

46. ssokolow said 3 years ago

@Marco: OK. The bugs are filed. Would you like me to also file the feature requests in the tracker or would that be duplication of effort?

47. jiayingxu said 3 years ago

Here is how to do multiple instances of skype on Linux:

Hi, guys, I also use two different accounts and with skype 2.2 beta on linux, I can log in with both accounts at the same time. It is even possible that you can run 3 or more instances of skype concurrently. It seems this new 4.0.0.7 version just released has this useful feature disable, which is very disappointing.

However, I just tired the skype command-line options, and figured out a work-around on this. It does not behave the same way as the old skype 2.2 beta, but it does allow you to login two accounts at the same time.

The trick is to use “–dbpath=” option.

If you run
    skype –help
    from command line, you’ll see,
    Options:
    –dbpath= Specify an alternative path to store Skype data files.
    Default: ~/.Skype

So here is the trick, which I just tried and it seemed working:
    1) you start up the first instance as normal, so your skype login will be in your normal ~/.Skype directory,
    2) you launch the second instance with the command
    skype –dbpath=~/.SecondarySkype
    then a new instance will run, and it will use ~/.SecondarySkype as the database path. Of course you can choose a different directory name here. You login with another account and this account will be stored in ~/.SrcondarySkype directory.

I said this behaves different from the 2.2 beta version because with 2.2 you can just launch as many instances of skype as you want, just using the normal way, and all accounts will be stored in ~/.Skype directory.

Hope this helps!

PS: I noticed that the people from skype team are answering the questions in this thread, which is really nice. I hope they continue listening to users this way. This may reduce a bit hatred/dislike of Linux community to Microsoft.

48. jiayingxu said 3 years ago

By the way, just a few days prior to the skype for linux 4.0.0.7 was released, there were an update for 2.2 beta. For a long time the 2.2 beta for linux download link leads to version 2.2.0.35, but I know there was an updated version 2.2.0.99. The linux download link at the time only gave the tar.bz2 package for v2.2.0.99. Both .deb and .rpm packages were still with 2.2.0.35.

I am hoping to get the 2.2.0.99 version in native .deb package for ubuntu 10.04. Can I get it anywhere? Or does the skype team withdraw this release all together, in favour of the new 4.0 release?

And, where is the detailed changelog for the 2.2.0.35-to-2.2.0.99 change?

Thanks,

49. nael_luciano said 3 years ago

marco out of curiosity in the next version the user interface will look like the windows and mac? please let me know to keep hope,I would love to make this request

50. ph0enix49 said 3 years ago

Thank you for new version! Glad to see that linux users are not left behind. Ubuntu version worked like a charm, just uninstalled old version, installed new one, and now I’m online with skype 4.0. Great work! Hopefully, freeze bugs are fixed.