Skype brings voice and video calling to Windows Phone users around the globe

Many of you have been waiting for this. And today we are excited to announce our new Skype for Windows Phone Beta app. This now makes Skype available on almost all of the leading mobile smartphone operating systems. The gold version of the app will be available in April.

Starting today, download the beta version directly from your Windows Phone or at the Marketplace from your computer to test drive Skype for Windows Phone and share your feedback with us.

Skype for Windows Phone Beta* supports the most important Skype features you’ve come to know and love. And you will be especially thrilled by the clean and simple Skype experience that the Metro user interface delivers on your Windows Phone. It has never before been so easy to connect with the people you care about most.

Check out this video to see how the app works.

With Skype for Windows Phone Beta you can make free audio and video calls** to your Skype contacts over 3G and 4G or WiFi***, make affordable calls to landlines and mobiles using Skype Credit, create and hold one-to-one and group chats, and update your profile and account information, among others features.

This is only the beginning for Skype for Windows Phone…it’s just going to get better and better. We see incredible potential to include Skype capabilities in Windows Phone in order to enable a great experience for you.

You can download the beta version of the Skype for Windows Phone app for free**** by clicking here directly from your Windows Phone, or simply scanning the QR code below. You will need to have a smartphone running Windows Phone 7.5. You can check what version of Windows Phone your phone is running at Settings > About.

We have already tested and certified the following devices for the best performance of Skype for Windows Phone:

• Nokia Lumia 710
• Nokia Lumia 800
• HTC Titan
• HTC Radar
• Samsung Focus S
• Samsung Focus Flash

We love hearing your thoughts and questions, so please feel free to visit our Skype Support Network or tweet your Skype for Windows Phone questions to @Skype. Also, you can join us on Twitter by following the #SkypeMWC hashtag where we will be sharing Windows Phone tips throughout the week.

qr code_WP blog post.png

*The beta version of the Skype for Windows Phone app will have English language support only.
**The device must be equipped with at least one camera to utilize video calling.
*** Users can place calls with their Windows Phone over a cellular data connection or WiFi network. Additional data charges may apply. To get the best quality video calling, Skype recommends a strong WiFi connection. Skype-to-Skype calling on Windows Phone is compatible with Skype for Windows 4.2 and above, Skype for Mac OS X 2.8 and above, Skype for Linux, Skype for iOS 3.0 and above, Skype for Android 2.0 and above, and Skype running on TVs.
**** The Skype for Windows Phone Beta app is free. If you use your mobile data connection to download the Skype app, operator charges may apply, so we recommend an unlimited data plan.

39 thoughts on “Skype brings voice and video calling to Windows Phone users around the globe

1. jaymontano said 2 years ago

Hurray

2. izshome said 2 years ago

Thanx guys nut unfortunately have downloaded the Beta app on my windows phone ( Samsung Ominia B7330 ) which is currently working with an downloaded Skype cab and its equipped with in and out cam what i do ?

3. occamsmonkey said 2 years ago

I don’t know if it’s just marketplace replication slowness, but I’m getting a ‘five device maximum’ error when downloading. I only have one device associated to the LiveID. I’ll try again tomorrow, but hoping this isn’t a bug with the beta package on the store…

4. faust_786 said 2 years ago

in my htc hd 7 there is an error coming while download this app that “you are already using more than 5 devices with your zune/hotmail account, delete some device and restart phone”

in reality my account is connected with one device only!

anyways thats a good addition.

5. naokii said 2 years ago

Can you make it available to other languages? I think it is now only available on the US marketplace. Just posting the non localized English beta should be fine for all languages. Please!!

6. headshiner said 2 years ago

Not available in my region. Sigh..

7. kcl_mustafa said 2 years ago

I can’t find it when I search on the market place and when I click the any of the above links it goes to the market place and the page for skype opens but the [install] button is not there. This is on a samsun omnia 7, windows mobile 7.

Any help? I actually tried searching for skype myself 2 days ago and then just saw this which made me happy, but now i cant get it to install.

thanks,

M

8. randika.ratnayake said 2 years ago

HTC HD7 user here. Well long waited application finally I can least install which is good. But can receive calls only if I am open with the application. And don’t know where to set my online and offline sates…. Waiting for good update soon.

9. felippedev said 2 years ago

Seems working pretty well in my HTC HD7!! Thanks and congratulations!

10. paulofariatavares said 2 years ago

This is great t news. Please let me know when I can use on my Blackberry devices (cellular and Playbook . Thank you

11. lgriao said 2 years ago

Working very good here, but without notification and add contact option.

12. lgriao said 2 years ago

Working very good here, but without notification and add contact option.

• Elena Bule said 2 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. Remember it is a beta at the moment. It will keep getting better

13. paulofariatavares said 2 years ago

This is great t news. Please let me know when I can use it on my Blackberry devices (cellular and Playbook . Thank you

14. francisrmd said 2 years ago

So far so good on the regular Samsung Focus. Thanks!

15. gopi09_m said 2 years ago

It’s good that Skype is coming to Windows Phone.But i am not happy that most of the Window Phones doesn’t have a front facing camera.Not sure how can i use skype in my HTC Mozart for making Video calls.

16. elliot.nahm said 2 years ago

Downloaded it and it works! HURRAY!

17. qutus74 said 2 years ago

Hi
    Good news. Couple of questions however I am hoping you can answer:
    1) When will it be available for download in Ireland?
    2) Has it been tested on the HTC Moazrt?
    If you could answer my questions I would appreciate it.

18. ncpardillo said 2 years ago

I am happy about this. My husband and I tried this ealier and works perfectly fine with both HTC Radar. Thanks!!!!!

19. onstin said 2 years ago

Great news, skype is on the WP platform! Thx for your work. Working good on samsung Omnia7. But app like this need background task / push notification, otherwise is absolutely useless.. Nobody can call to me when I do not have app running

20. ralf.zentara said 2 years ago

Hi! Installation worked fine. But how to add contacts? HTC HD7

21. acroitoriu said 2 years ago

couldn’t find it in the MarketPlace, but got to it using the QR Code… just installed on my LG E900 Optimus 7 and seems to work fine so far. I’ve also used the camera and quality of call was good… can’t wait for the final version! Thanks!

22. mmihhailov said 2 years ago

thanks for almost perfect app Few comments though (downloaded, installed, worked just fine). But, some things that i noticed immediately. I know it’s beta, but still
    1. Animations. Specially, when choosing contacts by letter (eg. choosing A or B from the list). On my HTC Trophy it’s slow and flicking.
    2. Contacts and settings. It would be nice touch to add a flag to settings, how i want to see my contacts (all contacts, only online contacts etc).
    3. When viewing all contacts, status indicator (online/offline) would be nice touch
    4. Group chat icon. It should be something else. Took me some time with trial and error to figure it out.
    Otherwise… great app

23. amswafford said 2 years ago

Very cool! Been waiting for this app for a while now, ever since I got my Windows Phone!

24. larsprahl said 2 years ago

Thanks, I have been so patient but for a beta with limited functionality this looks like it is worth the wait. Looking forward to integration into people hub

25. riseagn said 2 years ago

awesome great post looking forward of the final version with full features
    good luck to skype and windows phone teams

26. riseagn said 2 years ago

awesome great post looking forward of the final version with full features
    good luck to skype and windows phone teams

27. brett.chandler.yt said 2 years ago

Yes, please make this available for the Playbook ASAP!

Thx

28. wolfgang.muellauer said 2 years ago

On my HTC Trophy it works well but on my HTC Radar it’s very quiet so I cannot use it. I could not found any way to increase the volume in Skype (the Phone volume is on maximum)

29. midnightfrank said 2 years ago

@faust_786 and anyone else is seeing the same ‘five devices’ problem, just try restarting your phone. I was able to install on my HD7 after a reboot.

30. spydaweb said 2 years ago

How do I change my “online” status. I’d like to be invisible at times to prevent people from contacting me while I’m at work, but I don’t want to logout of the system either.

Also, how soon can we expect Live Tile capabilities? It would be nice to see various stats on who’s messaging me, calling me, etc.

Finally, I think someone mentioned it, but it would be really helpful to have the ability to manage contacts (add New, block, remove Old) from the app itself.

31. rsureshk said 2 years ago

When i try to install this, i get an error saying that this is not available in my location. What are the supported regions for this Beta software?

32. lnluis said 2 years ago

I hope that in release you give us the option to which camera we want it bigger. I don’t care how good my camera looks like. I want the camera to be bigger to the person I am talking to. You guys did it in Windows Skype where your camera is smaller. Should do the same on phone.

33. taz6416 said 2 years ago

Working fine so far on a Samsung Omnia 7 in the UK on 3.

34. yowebie said 2 years ago

Don’t see it anywhere getting discussed but is sms/text messaging getting in?

35. uchovovan said 2 years ago

Can’t install. Error is 805a0193. What’s wrong?

• Elena Bule said 2 years ago

Hi, you can contact our Skype Support service to get your doubts solved. Thanks for sending your comments through

36. paladinleeds said 2 years ago

Needs better tombstoning abilities!

37. james.jennings1053 said 2 years ago

Installed on HTC Trophy on Verizon. Pretty happy with it thus far on both WiFi & 3G. Biggest complaints being (1)that the user’s camera is the large image rather than the thumbnail, (2) you can’t add contacts, (3) and the “Send Feedback” button doesn’t work.

I get that it’s in beta but #1 & #2 definitely need to be addressed before final release.