Skype 3.7 for iPhone and iPad

Today we have released Skype 3.7 for iPhone and iPad.

New Features and Enhancements:

• New chat UI
  • New dialpad UI
  • Edited message indicator
  • Improved stability

We recommend that everyone upgrades to the newly released Skype for iPhone and Skype for iPad applications from the Apple App Store. We are always interested in hearing your feedback, so please report any issues to our Skype Support Network or on our public issue tracker.

7 thoughts on “Skype 3.7 for iPhone and iPad

1. corykad111 said 3 years ago

Hello,

I’m writing to you guys in regards to the accessibility of your iPhone/iPad app. Over the past number of releases, the app is lacking accessibility in several ways. First off, the dial pad has become unusable. Also the chats are not readable by voiceover. I am very disappointed in this, as are many other blind folks. As a huge fan and user of your product, I would love to see a fix in the near future. Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Cory

2. brian.moore said 3 years ago

HI. Just curious. While newer versions of this product provide stable call quality, there has been a significant issue since version 3.5.1 where the dialpad and the chat ui have stopped working with the voice over feature of all iphones, ipods and ipads.

When one is using voice over, it is no longer possible to use the dialpad or read the chat messages in the chat ui. Prior to 3.5.1, this all worked beautifully. for those of us who pay for a calling plan, particularly to avoid cellular carrier long distance charges, this is a real problem.

3. c-foster said 3 years ago

While it is of course understandable and expected that developers of apps will want to make constant improvements to meet the expectations and demands of their customer base, it is concerning that when blind users who use Skype in conjunction with VoiceOver on the IOS devices alerted developers that the latest changes had made the app less accessible, basically nothing was done. Form letters were sent out saying basically nothing. Since the update which cause the chat history and the dial pad to become useless rolled out, there have been several subsequent updates. None of these updates fixed the problems initially and then continually reported. It would be appreciated and honorable if Skype developers took the time to really find out what it would take to make the Skype App truly accessible and then implement these changes. This would show that Skype cares about all of its users, not just the ones who can see.

4. cjsims3000 said 3 years ago

I trust that you’ve considered those who use Voiceover on the IOS platform.

5. rnicke01 said 3 years ago

how do you read the chat history in skype for iPhone with voiceover? whenever I tap a message in the message history nothing is announced. This worked properly in previous versions of skype but not more recent ones ever since the UI was changed.

6. simon4599 said 3 years ago

I’d like to make a comment on something which has been going on for quite some time, and which concerns me greatly.

I am legally blind, and rely on apple’s in-built accessibility options for navigating the iPhone. One of those is called VoiceOver. It can be reached by going to settings, general, then accessibility, and finally VoiceOver. As you can probably imagine, VoiceOver reads items on the screen, using synthesized speech. It allows those who are vision impaired to use all the iPhone’s functionality with only a bit of practice and memorization of a few gestures. This includes any stock apps on the phone, as well as a great number of third party apps.

When I bought my iPhone 4 in 2010, skype was the perfect accessibility dream. I could use everything in it, including the contact list, the call window, the chat area, and even the dial pad. I was very happy about this, as I was and still am a paying skype customer and could use it to make phone calls to the US, or other skype contacts at high quality.

It’s worth mentioning that making a control usable with VoiceOver isn’t a strenuous or difficult process, and doesn’t involve any additional coding. One need only make sure the control is a standard one (button, text field, list item, etc.) Many developers who code according to standards don’t even know they’re making their apps completely accessible, but they do. SO it was with great disappointment that I updated skype one day in October, and found that the dial pad was inaccessible. It has been turned into an image, presumably with set clickable areas that aren’t actually separate controls. For this reason, VoiceOver can’t read it. It simply sees the DialPad view image across the whole screen.

Since VoiceOver could no longer read the individual numbers, ad there is no way to click on a specific section of one large control, I had to unload VoiceOver and press the buttons manually. For someone who is totally blind, this is very difficult as there is no longer any spoken feedback as to which numbers are being pressed. It’s really only possible if the person in question has a small amount of vision, very good coordination, or an ear that can recognize the dtmf tones generated when a number is pressed.

Being a social network junkie, I immediately posted a tweet to @SkypeSupport letting them know about the issue. Keep in mind, this was in October.

I saw several subsequent updates and kept hoping the dial pad would be fixed. Such was and still is not the case. For a totaly blind person, the best scenario right now goes like this:

1. add phone number to skype or phone contacts if not already done.
    2. Select that contact and phone number.
    3. Turn off VoiceOver.
    4. Press the call button, which is about 3/4 of an inch up from the bottom of the screen. Again, this isn’t the most doable thing in the world if you’re totally blind.

Things continued to go downhill from there. Next, the chat area became inaccessible to VoiceOver. I still can’t find a reasonable explanation for this, but I can no longer read messages in a chat conversation with someone, only in the messages area where the last message sent or received is shown. I lso let skype support know bout this, and left feedback.

With that said, I find it beyond disappointing that during the redesign of the cat and dial pad UI, there was no thought put into the many complaints and suggested solutions given to you by skype user after skype user. As a paying customer, I feel especially disappointed. You guys have at least one blind beta tester who has reported these issues as well. Said testers are under an NDA, but I can only assume the release was given to them before it was released to the public, meaning the bug was filed and completely ignored. I just wanted you guys to know that there are a relatively high number of blind people out there who actually use skype, pay for the service, and want it to be accessible. I think the least you can do is make sure skype works with coe functionality of iOS.

7. tubemetal said 3 years ago

Hi,

This is all great, but how is better VoiceOver support for chats and the dial pad coming along? I and others have reported this as being an issue for a while now; can we expect to see a fix soon? When “redesigned chat and dial pad” was mentioned, I grew hopeful, but alas, nothing’s changed from VoiceOver’s standpoint to make these items accessible. Chats don’t read (only the user name) as one moves about them with VoiceOver, and the dial pad is unusable. Please address this soon.
    Thanks!