Play Blog

Read about innovative uses of Skype, user stories and more

Virtual Language Lessons

Did you know there are over 6,000 languages spoken across the globe? As an essential tool for communication for millions of people representing hundreds of countries, we know that our Skype users speak a number of different languages when connecting with one another via Skype. One of the amazing things about Skype is its ability to connect with people in different countries, without having to spend excessive amounts to virtually be with them.

With such a wide range of diversity within the Skype community, how do we see our users connecting with each other across borders via Skype? One way we’ve seen increase in popularity are language lessons through video and voice call. Whether it be a native speaker in Colombia teaching an American student how to speak Spanish while explaining the typical Spanish culture or a Hebrew teacher continuing to teach one of their students who relocated to another town, we’ve seen it all.

Take for example, 121 Spanish, a company that offers their teachers based in Latin America to students across the globe one-on-one Spanish lessons. Not only does 121 Spanish offer native speakers to remote students, but by using Skype, the instructors and students save money with free Skype-to-Skype voice and video calls. Already know Spanish or just looking to learn a different language? French Today offers online French courses from a native Parisian via Skype video call! What to give Dutch a try? Say it in Dutch offers Skype lessons or Skype conversations in Dutch that are individually tailored to each student’s needs.

As you can see the opportunities to learn languages from native speakers are endless, all without having to leave one’s home! Next time you have a language lesson via Skype, leave a comment and share your experience.

8 thoughts on “Virtual Language Lessons

1. mbigioni1 said 2 years ago

Teaching and learning through Skype is great. It is convenient and efficient which not only saves on time, but also the pollution of travel. It gives people more choice as well as the market becomes global and not confined to just the local tutors. Currently I am operating a Spanish site http://www.onlinespanishlive.com/ and I am teaching English via Skype through srwenglish.com/

2. peternut1 said 2 years ago

Living in Canada it sure would help to learn some more French. I use Skype so others can watch me create my freehand fine art digital paintings in real-time using “ScreenShare”.

3. jhluttgens said 2 years ago

French Today is the way to go for learning French from a true native speaker from a long distance. I have taken lessons from Camille at French Today for about two years now and she has helped me tremendously. Her method of teaching combined with the benefits of Skype have really made learning French an incredible experience.

4. languagetuition said 2 years ago

I’ve taught French, Spanish and English via Skype for a couple of years now, and blogged about it on my Conquering Babel blog. I call my service Armchair Languages since it enabkes people to learn from the comfort of their own home.

5. camillechevalier said 2 years ago

Bonjour!
    This is Camille of French Today, discovering this article and wanting to say thank you for the spotlight I am in France and teach French with Skype to the world: USA a lot, but also Australia, Canada, Switzerland, Sweden, Virgin Island, Russia, South Africa – and that’s only naming my present students’ countries. Being able to speak and IM at the same time is awesome for teaching. So I have only one thing to add: Merci Skype!!!

6. james.leaver said 2 years ago

http://www.e-englishcentre.com has been providing Skype English lessons to students around the world for the last 4 years. Learning via Skype is a really convenient and easy way to pick up a language – especially for busy working professionals who don’t have time to attend language schools.

7. alexpalmer77 said 2 years ago

I have regular language lessons via Skype. I was new to Skype at the time, so it took a little getting used to, but now it’s great! I’ve had the same teacher for years, even though she has moved from London to Belgium, so great continuity of teaching. It’s also relatively cheap, and enables her to work from home. I work as an Events Manager, and my job involves lots of travel. Having lessons in this way means that I can have a lesson, even if I’m overnighting in a hotel or away from home. All I need is my computer and a wireless connection. It’s super convenient for me, and I would recommend it highly! (my lessons are with Claire/”languagetuition”, as above – her lessons are excellent, so I would also recommend her teaching. I’m so keen that I have French and Spanish lessons!).

8. alexpalmer77 said 2 years ago