Today we have release Skype 5.5 beta for Windows.

The most important changes in Skype 5.5 beta in comparison with previous releases are:

• Facebook integration
  • Improved call controls
  • Improved video calling reliability
  • Plus several bug fixes

Start downloading this new version of Skype immediately and let us know how you like it , via dicussing on our forums or in case you see something odd in Skype then please report it on our public issue tracker, see guide how to report issues.

When installing and using this version of Skype, please keep in mind that it is currently in a beta state which means that there might be some hidden hiccups.

We’re waiting for you’re feedback.

More about the new client improvements:

Facebook integration
We have embedded in Skype a capability to show out all your Facebook buddies with ability to straight IM with them without leaving Skype. In addition trough Skype Home you’re able to see the Facebook news feed, with ability to update you’re Facebook status and Skype Mood Message together if you would like to.

Improved call controls
We have done numerous design modifications to the call controls to reduce the amount of buttons available straight on the call view, thus making the overall experience simpler, we have added also a plus menu which consists now of all the extra call features available like Screen Sharing or sending a file.

Improved video calling reliability

With Skype 5.5 beta we have done a numerous under the hood updates to our video engine to improve it’s reliability for everyone. With it we have reduced the amount of graphic card resources needed for video calls and improved support for older cards, especially for users with SiS graphics cards.

Addressed several bug fixes

In addition to the client improvement and new features introduction, we have taken a considerable amount of time to fix issues reported by you happening in Skype. Thank you for letting us know about issues, and we’re delighted to work with you.

Full release notes for the Skype 5.5.0.110 are:

Improvements and new features:

• Facebook integration
  • Improved call controls
  • Improved video calling reliability
  • Changed group conversations profile area design
  • New login window design
  • Added a ability to start video calls via URI
  • Plus several bug fixes

Changes:

• Removed High Quality Video logo showing

Known issues:

Category Description Workaround
Public API 3rd Party applications, suchs as Trillian, display also Facebook contacts, which are shown like Skype contacts None available
Facebook integration Going offline in Skype does not set Facebook chat offline None available
Facebook integration It’s hard to distinguish Facebook and Skype contacts None available
Conference call Conference call will end when adding a Outlook Contact into it. None available
Startup Skype will crash on startup if user has set it to run under compatibility mode on Windows Vista or 7. Please do not start Skype under compatibility mode.

19 thoughts on “Skype 5.5 beta for Windows – with Facebook chat and contacts integration, under the hood updates to video engine

1. hrammer65 said 3 years ago

Have you people gone completely insane with this fbook cr*p? I mean, now its not only in the Home tab, no no no, now it’s between the Contacts tab and Recent. So basically I guess you think that fbook is SO darn important that it should be everywhere.
    And of course there is absolutely no way to turn fbook integration off, of course not.

You know what, the ONLY thing skype has going for it, is the fact that it’s more or less mainstream, but belive you me people WILL start switching every which way, and actually, they already are leaving for google voice and other alternatives. Skype was good back in the day, it was small, fast and most importantly it did not violate people’s privacy.

2. al...bri said 3 years ago

Amazing…. installed it on Windows 7 x64 now it won’t load anymore… welcome to microsoft !

3. g4pilut said 3 years ago

My first impressions of beta 5.5.0.110:

I’m not going to comment on the yet again major UI changes, except to say they will take some getting used to.

The good

Video quality is definitely better…at least when the VP80 codec is in use.

In High Definition audio frame rate is MUCH better. I’m using a Logitech C910 webcam. With version 5.3 my fps was very poor when I was in HD. With the beta version I’m getting 1280×720 @ 30 fps. I used to have serious video lag compared to audio. With the beta version video and audio sync properly.

Group calls – good quality

Screen sharing quality is very good. Better than with previous versions.

Facebook – I don’t use it and have no interest but at least the integration is easy to ignore if that’s your choice.

The not-so-good

The beta version seems prone to crashing when the incoming video switches from SD to HD. In several cases, on different users’ PC’s, it actually caused a Windows BSOD. Other cases just Skype itself crashed. It all cases the crash followed switching from SD to HD.

I’ve seen a video call start with the VP71 codec and others using VP80. I haven’t figured out what circumstances causes which codec to be used.

CPU use seems significantly higher than with the previous versions. This may be an issue for users with less-than-high power PC’s.

The “Internet Connection Problem -trying to get your call back” feature doesn’t work. It never did and still doesn’t. If a call drops you still have to manually end the call and manually start it over again (which I prefer anyway).

A video call starts in “Zoom In” mode. You can manually change it to Zoom Out once a call is started but there’s no option to default to Zoom Out.

You can no longer turn off your PIP. Most of the time this isn’t an issue but I’d still prefer the option.

That’s my 2 cents worth after a few hours playing around with beta 5.5.0.110.

4. levski3840 said 3 years ago

Good job, great job! :) Just want to add that there is a slight confusion with customers. If you can put a sign up on facebook user name in the “Latest” and also scored when someone is fit to be seen whether this entry is on skype or facebook. Sorry for my bad English

..the circle of the joke I hope in version 5.10 can be integrated and msn:))

5. hrammer65 said 3 years ago

Guys, I love it how you gently moderate out any kind of negative comments. What’s the excuse, it looked like spam, right? Nice! :)

6. apellion1 said 3 years ago

Keep up the good work!

7. peterjahn said 3 years ago

Please add support to write messages to offline facebook contacts.

8. stefano.conti60 said 3 years ago

Does not matter if in compatibility mode or not, GUI and commands of skype 5.3 crash with all SIS graphics. I have reinstalled 5.1 Many other people did the same. Fix this bug, please

9. mtazulsemfiltro said 3 years ago

Please let us use command line “-cleanhistory” or any other solution to remove all traces of recent activity, to protect users privacy…faster than going to “options” menu…

10. kkahrs said 3 years ago

For a couple of months I have been a bit frustrated that I am not able to run Skype in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 in different versions of Windows 7. I want to use compatibility mode because it is the only way I know where I am able to minimize Skype to the taskbar. It is quite annoying when the Skype window does not want to close when Skype is running. Skype 5.5 beta for Windows could be useful for Facebook chats, but I was a bit disappointed when I saw this reply:

Skype will crash on startup if user has set it to run under compatibility mode on Windows Vista or 7. Workaround: Please do not start Skype under compatibility mode.

Is there another way I can make Skype minimize completely to the taskbar without using compatibility mode? Or can you find a workaround so that compatibility mode can work?

When it comes to the Facebook chat integration, but I agree with the points raised in the known issues. Currently I use ICQ because of the FB chat integration, but I want to switch to Skype 5.5 it it works satisfactory. However, as you write in your known issues, it’s hard to distinguish Facebook and Skype contacts. Facebook users need a FB logo and a different sound when FB contacts are chatting with me.

11. ananda96 said 3 years ago

Please give Users a CHANCE to disable or REMOVE Facebook Stuff!

Not everybody likes this, not everything MUST be integrated!

12. mikewolf051 said 3 years ago

I like the new login interface, but i run into a problem when I want to use my C910, I can’t seem to activate the HD video mode even though I was able to do so in 5.3. Both computers have the same camera and hardware and are on the same network. I want to see the high quality indicator brought back. You know whats wierd is after i was having crashing issues with the beta and went back to 5.3 the high quality indicator which i had never been able to get working with 5.3 actually would now appear when it was suppose to. Anyway I’d love to see the zoom in and zoom out function done away with and it set to automatically be set to zoom out. It’s irritating to have to constantly zoom out during each video call. Another feature everyone wants to see is free group video chatting instead if it being a paid feature. It’s about time guys. You made your money now get on with the free.

13. muzenda29 said 3 years ago

I am not very tech savy, however everytime I try to install skype on my PC which has windows 7, it tells me the programme will harm my computer and surely once I start using skype my pc crushes…can you do something to rectify this

14. irasmy said 3 years ago

i agree completely with hrammer65 comment, he expresses what i felt about Facebook, plz remove Facebook Stuff, i am actually emigrated to Google voice, it is very good, reliable, simple, and u get every thing in one place.

15. shaunconlan said 3 years ago

I have not upgraded to this yet. If I am forced to and cannot run it under compatibility mode, I WILL BE UNINSTALLING. No I don’t want skype taking up my task bar. No I don’t want face book rubbish. Fix your shit.

P.S. Goggle voice is starting to look good.

16. sergiu.ene said 3 years ago

i’m too agree with irasmy and hrammer65. pls make an option to remove facebook integration, or at least to hide the tab with facebook. btw this option is not working with clients connected using http proxy – facebook tab get’s never connected. (i have a facebook acc, but i use it very rare)

17. cornelius_young said 3 years ago

1. may I know which port does Skype use to connect to facebook? Seems like my ISP doesn’t allow skype to connect to facebook, but when in other place with other ISP, facebook chat on skype is working great.
    2. Try to add an option to turn off facebook on skype, this is for those who does not need it.
    3. why should there be skype home appearing when we start skype 5.5? Please remove the skype home thingy.

18. warp.master said 3 years ago

er can we have the volume control back the only way right now is via the check settings
    also i miss the snapshot button, also does the snapshot lib have to hang everything while it loads every picture i keep having to clear the directory out to improve snapshot feature

other than that its great here

19. ak_irk said 3 years ago

Skype will loose me as a use if there will be no options to:
    - hide Facebook stuff
    - disable absolutely annoying SkypeHome window upon start up!!! It’s SOOOO annoying, that nothing else in the universe!

Come on guys, is it so difficult to implement those tiny options that can give you so many benefits in terms of users love when they can tune the app to their needs?!