Skype 2.2 beta for Linux update

We have released Skype 2.2 beta for Linux.

With this update we fixed the problem which affected sign in last week. We have also reduced Skype’s CPU usage when making video calls.

Start downloading the new build now.

Give feedback to us by discussing the latest release on our forums.

Full release notes for 2.2.0.35 are:

Fixed issues:

Category Description
General Skype crashed on startup for users who were affected by Skype issue on 26.05.2011
Video calling Reduced video calls CPU usage

6 thoughts on “Skype 2.2 beta for Linux update

1. david.wells said 3 years ago

Two issues with this release:

i) Running Fedora rpm 32bit build on Fedora 14 64 bit I see frequent instances when starting up skype where it connects but then thrashes the disk and consumes most of the cpu for a couple of minutes before crashing. Maybe 25% of the time when I start up after booting the OS I see this. Once it has crashed if I restart it seems to start OK. When it crashes I don’t hear the skype login sound when it connects.

ii) The credit counter shows zero even though I have credit and if I log on to the website I can see I have credit.

If there is anyway I can collect additional information that will help you resolve these two issues just let me know.

Dave

2. locoxella said 3 years ago

Thank you for the latest updates. Please keep it up. Still a long way till getting the quality of Windows versions.

3. bethany.walter said 3 years ago

I have a Logitech quick-cam chat ID 046d:092e that used to work on 2.1.0.81 but does not work on 2.2.0.25 or 2.2.0.35. Using Ubuntu lucid. Cheese works fine with the camera and skype works with my folk’s genius 2020

4. fulopattila122 said 3 years ago

Great! Thank you for the update! 2.2.0.35 has arrived today to my Ubuntu via the software update.

I appreciate your efforts to keep the Linux version updated.

5. zilvador said 3 years ago

Thank you for the release. It is good to see active development.

6. mary.russell35 said 3 years ago

Same problem on Fedora 14 64bit as reported by david.wells however on restart every thing seems normal (signin sound etc)

lspci output:
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)
    02:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

driver:
    kmod-nvidia-96xx-2.6.35.13-92.fc14.x86_64.x86_64 96.43.19-1.fc14.10 rpmfusion-nonfree-updates