Microsoft will acquire Skype

I’m excited to announce that Skype and Microsoft have entered into a definitive agreement whereby Microsoft will acquire Skype for $8.5 billion US. It is an exciting day for all of us at Skype – we’ve taken a significant step towards realising our vision of making the world a better, more connected place.

I believe this acquisition is the very best way to extend Skype’s reach and will allow us to bring real-time video and voice communications to more people around the world than ever before. The combination of Skype and Microsoft will directly benefit all of you who use Skype by ushering in a new era of generative ways for everyone to communicate.

What I love most about this company are the people. Not only the team here at Skype and our partners, but everyone like you who uses Skype every day – you are the people who have made Skype what it is.

Subject to regulatory approvals and customary closing conditions, Skype will operate as a new business division of Microsoft, and I look forward to working with the team as president of Microsoft Skype to write the next chapter of the Skype story. Onwards!

187 thoughts on “Microsoft will acquire Skype

1. garnettg said 4 years ago

It was fun while it lasted. Thanks for the fish!

2. onaprayer said 4 years ago

Will Skype now be a publicly traded company, thrown to the perils of Wall Street? They say change is good but It will be sad if we say good bye to the easy and long familiar format or is cheapened with advertising and glitz. There is a sense of pride in using Skype to bring communication to even the remotest part of the world. Or to just chat with a friend or a loved one. May it stay simple and useful and Tony, I hope you get rich.

3. voidnull79 said 4 years ago

great… another service/product for Microsoft to ruin.

4. sari_barazi said 4 years ago

Congratulations..

5. magom3rl1n said 4 years ago

Uninstalling Skype…

6. kiwibrazuca said 4 years ago

I lament the news that Microsoft bought Skype. It is another example of the Evil Empire oppressing or acquiring all independent software developers. I guess this means that the quality of Skype for Mac will decline. I guess it means that, inevitably, the Skype GUI and protocol will merge with Window$ Live Messenger. I guess it means that the robustness of the code will deteriorate. Oh, yeah, the corporate spin doctors will deny what we know to be true. What are my options for migration to another instant messenger?

7. diesel.wolf said 4 years ago

Wow, looks like I’ll be ditching my skype account too then. I got rid of windows live FOR A REASON! I anticipate skype going the same way. This is a sad day

8. dj-coste said 4 years ago

I have been using Skype for the past 5 years, it’s great and I love it but these are sad news and I will no longer be using it anymore.

9. yahooeny said 4 years ago

So… what’s going to happen with the Linux version? You guys never update it! Come on, dawg, be a pal!

10. torresbenoni said 4 years ago

I’m using Skype for several years and currently use many of its services for both personal and commercial use (Numbers in different countries, unlimited calling to the world, Credit for text messages, mobile calls, call forwarding, Box voice, etc.).

Independent of the company that acquired Skype, I have misgivings
    As to whether the services will continue in the same way.
    Especially the coverage of services and obviously values​​.
    Now in particular with Microsoft, its “successful”business model is often too fragmented user types, which personally I do not like at all.
    I hope both the quality and prices to remain until the moment I am a satisfied customer and I remain so regardless of who is the owner of the company.
    Moreover, competition should already be preparing their products to exploit the reluctance stars that are thousands with this transaction.
    ——————————————————————————————–
    Soy usuario de Skype desde varios años y en la actualidad utilizo muchos de sus servicios tanto para uso personal como fines comerciales (Numeros en distintos paises, llamadas ilimitadas al mundo, Crédito para mensajes de texto, llamada a moviles, desvío de llamadas, Casilla de voz, etc.)
    Independiente de la compañia que adquirio skype, tengo aprensiones en
    cuanto a si los servicios seguirán de la misma forma. Especialmente la cobertura de los servicios y obviamente los valores.
    Ahora en particular con Microsoft, su “exitoso” modelo de negocio muchas veces fragmenta demasiado los tipos de usuarios, lo cual personalmente no me agrada para nada.
    Espero tanto la calidad como los precios se mantengan, hasta el momento soy un cliente satisfecho y espero seguir siéndolo independiente de quien sea el dueño de la compañía.
    Además, la competencia ya debe estar preparando sus productos estrellas para aprovechar las reticencias que tienen miles con esta transacción.

11. eli.noujaim said 4 years ago

Way to go Microsoft and million congrats. Imagine MS Office, IE, etc., all comes with Skype. Who can compete with that? It is time to see another innovative step by Microsoft.

12. mrkode said 4 years ago

Will this mean Skype for Linux and Andrioid is to be killed off? Let’s see…

13. tribudelectus said 4 years ago

Hi Tony. Could you provide more information about possible changes for customers in the short term: prices, free features, etc.? I understand that this is a great deal for Microsoft, but I don’t know what would be the main benefit for Skype customers. Thanks in advance for your response or a new blog about this issue.

14. ruvini218 said 4 years ago

Skype weds Microsoft!
    Good Luck guys. It’s good if this is gonna result in public benefit.
    PS: Will we have to pay for Skype now?

15. akhomraven said 4 years ago

Hello,

Skype is best and dependent on its own, and I wish Skype team could have made it more intelligent and profitable for their own revenue earnings in many ways, sooner or later, but it would have possible without merging with a giant company.

It can’t be a happy news for most of the old Skype users from all over the world. It has been a regular tendency of Microsoft’s Business strategy to watch and eat a good talent/publicity/community at any time.

However, the Skype team knows more than any one of the users here, so with all respect I like to congratulate for this big step.

All the best Skype.

16. donsjh said 4 years ago

It has taken microsatan less than a day to completely destroy the best video chat program around. Thank you heads of SKYPE for putting your wealth ahead of good service – it is the american way.

I have now removed SKYPE from my microsatan/winshit free computer on which I rely on the far, far superior UNIX system. I invite all intelligent people to join me – it is easy and will hopefully result in the destruction of microsatan/winshit.

17. pjsparty said 4 years ago

Congrats on the deal. As a loyal skype user I would like to ask you don’t turn skype into some MS mess by combining it with messenger or something. Also please dont drop the ball on the mac platform. Currently skype 5 for Mac sucks. From my experience with bing for iPad I will say if Microsoft wants to design a good looking app, they can. Please let this continue to be true with the skype team.

18. my2762 said 4 years ago

Excuse me?

so you will decide what is best for us? I think you forget that we choose skype, skype didn’t choose us.

we choose skype for your services, rates and your individuality, now you are selling your empire to some leechers without even the people know who are the main cause of skype’s success?

shame on you Skype leaders… shame on you

19. iguloso said 4 years ago

Hope Microsoft take care of Skype quality.

20. georgegeoffrey said 4 years ago

I hate this. Microsoft will destroy Skype like other multinational corporations have destroyed jobs in the United States etc. I realize Skype is a foreign run company and is HQ in the Baltics, however, Microsoft leaves a bad taste in my mouth and Skype will go from an affordable service to something much more expensive. You mark my word. I have been a loyal Skype user since the beginning and I just am very unhappy about this.

21. wanish54 said 4 years ago

are we gonna have to start paying for skype now or what

22. luis.serrano.gil said 4 years ago

Congratulations! I just hope Skype will keep running and developing in Mac, Android, iPhones and non-MS platforms.

23. rick.fornalski.2 said 4 years ago

Now that (free) Skype is owned by mircrosoft, can we look forward to daily updates with more bugs that the day before?
    Also, will skype still be free or will it be so pervasive that it becomes part of windows like infernalnet destroyer; unremovable.

Will microsoft create, but deny, a communication stream that can be bugged remotely by the US security forces?

Am I the only person seriously worried by having not only my PC usage but now my voice and text calls monitored?

24. fluxid said 4 years ago

I’m afraid Linux version will be dropped… I wish it won’t.

25. bleepblop said 4 years ago

There was a reason I left microsofts messaging platform and now there seems to be a reason why I will leave skype too. Unfortunate.

26. yannidownes said 4 years ago

I’m very unhappy about this, Microsoft can’t create anything that functions OK with other systems, so I guess as a Mac user I can look forward to deleting Skype from my Apps folder

27. dvdgc13 said 4 years ago

Just a question… how this will affect to the Linux users, which we are still using a “beta” 2.2 version?

28. momaboy said 4 years ago

Wonderful news! I’d love to see Skype being officially integrated in both mobile phones and home consoles. And if this acquisition mean that Skype could integrate my contacts from Windows Live Messenger, then I’m one happy guy!

29. tylerzeta said 4 years ago

Great, so dose this mean that people who have an android phone, psp, ipad/pod/phone, android OS device and a Mac can’t get skype? If so then thats the stupidest thing ever since people i know aren’t as excited are Tony Bates are.

30. mauro.garofalo said 4 years ago

addio Skype for Linux

31. gmkenny said 4 years ago

Hi Tony,
    Congratulations, Microsoft have got a gem.
    I hope that you will continue with the improvements you and your team have brought to this great product. I am looking forward to great things in the future with Microsoft Skype
    Regards
    Gerry Kenny

32. xciter327 said 4 years ago

There goes linux support… Got to find an alternative to skype…

33. johny454 said 4 years ago

I’d like to know what will happen to the Linux version of Skype. Can you please assure us, Linux users, it will go under further development in such circumstances?

34. mgamool said 4 years ago

Worst step ever! Microsoft will shut it down or probably fill it with video ads everywhere! FAIL!

35. pinchofhope said 4 years ago

I want to be able to delete my account now then. Please let me know ASAP when you’ve made it possible to delete an account as I now rescind all permission for you you to hold my details including, but not limited to my username and password.

36. jordanlgraham said 4 years ago

this is utterly tragic news

37. hadi.farnoud said 4 years ago

I hope it means more integrated services?