Microsoft will acquire Skype

I’m excited to announce that Skype and Microsoft have entered into a definitive agreement whereby Microsoft will acquire Skype for $8.5 billion US. It is an exciting day for all of us at Skype – we’ve taken a significant step towards realising our vision of making the world a better, more connected place.

I believe this acquisition is the very best way to extend Skype’s reach and will allow us to bring real-time video and voice communications to more people around the world than ever before. The combination of Skype and Microsoft will directly benefit all of you who use Skype by ushering in a new era of generative ways for everyone to communicate.

What I love most about this company are the people. Not only the team here at Skype and our partners, but everyone like you who uses Skype every day – you are the people who have made Skype what it is.

Subject to regulatory approvals and customary closing conditions, Skype will operate as a new business division of Microsoft, and I look forward to working with the team as president of Microsoft Skype to write the next chapter of the Skype story. Onwards!

187 thoughts on “Microsoft will acquire Skype

1. binlog1 said 3 years ago

Will Microsoft ditch Qt in favour of .NET? What will happen to Skype’s platform independence?

2. jc_estrada said 3 years ago

it was a great alternative to work and make business; with useful tools.

Good Luck!

3. rebeccajay said 3 years ago

so Skype, will it now by microsoftlyspoken instead of skyping? Read the tweets – lots of unhappy people in the world – microsoft world domination marches on – Rupert Murdoch watch your back!

4. snapple42 said 3 years ago

So what does this mean for the average Linux User?

15 months for an update, do we give up now?

5. morpheouz said 3 years ago

Thank you for keeping us informed.
    So i will have to opt for another communication plattform soon.

regards Germain
    (Skype user @Linux for 5 years, @Android for 6 month)

6. pguise said 3 years ago

While it is great that a company grows prosperous enough to be seen as an asset to larger companies, I feel that this acquisition is bad news for Skype, as well as its users.
    It has been proven in the past that Microsoft has taken smaller companies’ ideas and either changed them to fit their structure, thus limiting or removing growth potential, or modified them to the point where no one wants to use the software/service.
    This acquisition, sadly, is not something that I can be happy about. I feel that your business has done well enough on its own and can continue along that path without the help of larger companies. Adding Microsoft into the mix will be a mistake, and one that will see the end of the Skype service that we have come to know and rely on for our voice/video chats.

7. skypeaxet said 3 years ago

Guys, you can forgot about Linux and Mac OSX versions.

SHIT!!

8. juankvillegas said 3 years ago

What will happen with Linux (and other non-Microsoft) version?

9. jfchadeyron said 3 years ago

Skype Linux Project is dead now…:(

10. joao.calistro said 3 years ago

Microsoft… well this make us on the Office very sad, we hope the Mac, iPhone and Linux versions not die and the good service you guys provide do not be contaminated by the M$ way.
    Keep the way you are Skype, please, we don’t want to check for new options, we want the Skype like they are today.
    Microsoft acquire Skype, sad, sad day.

11. justin.g.mitchell said 3 years ago

How is this going to affect Mac, Linux and Android users?

12. psyfag said 3 years ago

Cool, i have a question regarding support in non-windows OS’ (Mac, Linux, Android, iOS,…), you are still going to support them, right?

13. rogelio_gudino said 3 years ago

I can’t think of a single thing that would make Skype better with this acquisition, on the contrary, it can make things worst.

14. bloodywing1 said 3 years ago

What happens to the Mac and Linux client after MS acquire Skype?

15. ronniedb9 said 3 years ago

the worst decision you ever made! Skype is doomed…

16. aleandrok said 3 years ago

Bad news

17. robbekop1 said 3 years ago

I was really a satisfied user of Skype , so I hope it will be also in the near future ! Anyway congrat Microsoft !

18. dark_hell_gigabytes said 3 years ago

Well mac user I guess now is the time to save a version of Skype, before we enter the Window world with errors and crappy user experience, just like M$crosoft office for Mac…. Well thanks! a lot I am more than happy to say that I’ve been using it since it came out more or less, but as soon as it gets to the point it feels like a M$ product I will defiantly change to a different messaging client.

Simon.

19. turoldo81 said 3 years ago

How will that affect the development of skype for Linux?

20. alan.hilton said 3 years ago

As long time user of Skype the Microsoft takeoff fills me with dread. Will Skype be used as cash cow and change beyond recognition? I hope not but $8.5b has to come from some where?

21. vk7hse said 3 years ago

I’m curious as to what will happen to releases for Android, Linux & Mac OS as these are direct competition to Microsoft?

Will development continue or will they simply cease to exist?

22. witephyre said 3 years ago

This is exciting news for Skype, but I wonder how this buy-out will affect the Linux community. Microsoft is known for developing for only one other popular operating system, Mac OSX; however, Skype has played a major role in the development of Linux and helped to make it more popular. In fact, if my memory serves me correctly, Linux was one of the first platforms on which Skype was originally released. So the question is will Microsoft continue to support Linux distributions of Skype as well as the many varied mobile versions?

23. moobsmcguffin said 3 years ago

I’m a Mac user and I love to use Skype but I’m a bit worried that with the acquisition of Skype that the software for Skype will either change too drastically or will no longer be usable for Mac users. Will the Skype experience for Mac users be changed at all?

24. bee4god said 3 years ago

Crap. There goes the neighborhood and free services. Gates kills all he touches.

25. tallet70 said 3 years ago

Congratulations Tony

Better Microsoft then Google or Facebook these days.

Don´t let the Windows team mess up your source codes, we like that Skype don´t crash

26. marian.borisov said 3 years ago

man, that sucks alot…

27. mastino9605 said 3 years ago

perchè!!!! why!!!!!!

28. ggl102 said 3 years ago

Bad news!!!

29. simon.bouchard1982 said 3 years ago

Worst news of the day… I’ll close my skype account.

30. guymanuel5541 said 3 years ago

Good for you, Tony! Figure out how we, mere mortals, will do from now on…

31. aaron-homeyard1 said 3 years ago

How a about a completely new version of skype, Bring back change wallpaper options and skype pictures.

Thanks. AH

32. herrera.edgar said 3 years ago

wise decisions and social support are priceless,..

33. artruist said 3 years ago

Hey Tony, this is Yuri from Ukraine, I’m happy you’re doing a double dip, now with Microsoft. It will be fun to run Microsoft Skype on my Mac! Anyways, off to business, I’ve been a Skype user for ages and actively promoted it to my friends and colleagues making it a standard of communication where my foot stepped in.

So, now that you enjoy $8.5BB US, isn’t it time to give back, how about allocating a tiny bit of .0001% of the deal for Yuri? That’s only 850 grand. It’d cool for Skype to PR by giving it to me. Hope your greedy PR & Marketing team won’t erase this message and I’ll get my check. Hahaha. P.S. Actually I’ll do for .00005%, too if you hesitate about .0001.

34. sam-stern said 3 years ago

So how will this impact me? Will I find my call history posted to the web without my permission? Sold to Microsoft “subsidiaries” and resold without recourse?

35. kokonoula said 3 years ago

And what will happen with those people who use skype but do not use Windows?
    I guess you will stop providing skype to them.

36. daas171 said 3 years ago

It’s a shame… I don’t like the direction of microsoft and its products…

37. alcarohtarainu said 3 years ago

Cool!!! Finally someone to hear what users think and refactor the useless and painful Skype for Mac 5.0 interface!

38. sc0ttkclark said 3 years ago

In the words of RuPaul, “Good luck… and don’t **** it up!”

39. rogiel said 3 years ago

Good… now I can stop using Skype once and for all!

40. mishmichster said 3 years ago

I am not excited, mainly because I tend not to use Microsoft products, mainly because I believe people should have freedom of choice in terms of platform, OS, and applications, and prefer open source where available. Since the Windows 7 SP2 update made my W7 installation irrecoverable, I use Linux rather than Windows. I use Maemo on my mobile device rather than WP7, and can only envisage using something similar in the future. I can’t believe that a MS owned division will be maintaining Skype for Linux (not sure about Apple) – which will effectively force people to choose WP7/8 if they want to use Skype. That limits choice, and freedom. Of course, if I am wrong, and you can assure me that this will not happen – I’d be pleased to hear about that.

41. rlmonkey said 3 years ago

Does this mean you will now have the cash to update the Linux version?

42. survivorsuresh said 3 years ago

Skype is an amazing Service, U can Rock independently… But not sure why you are joining Hands with Microsoft.

43. russianspi said 3 years ago

Well, it looks like the end of the line for those of us who used Skype on Linux and Mac. I understand the payoff for Skype, but I’m sad to see it go this way. Thanks for the memories.

44. tony.galano1 said 3 years ago

They WILL keep the free Skype to Skype calls.

Or else!

45. macjuan said 3 years ago

Congrats to investors who took (seeminly a big) risk and got their money back with intrest. Please, do try to protect the people working for you so that they feel at home at Microsoft and continue to contribute to Skype’s fantastic future. As a former Skyper I have seen owners come and go but the spirit has persisted regardless of the top level storms. Hope is no strategy but I wish you and whole Skype team best of success and luck for the future.

46. eloeko said 3 years ago

That is it! Bye, bye Skype.

47. pinapplepalmtree said 3 years ago

The clients are out of sync enough. I fear that Skype for Mac will not do so well because of this. A perfect example is windoze live. A great windoze client and yet such a lacking Mac application. I really hope this does not hinder the Mac client, and even Linux for those who use it. Maybe FaceTime and SMS are the future… Thanks to Google Voice and Apple this is possible.

48. chrisainsworth said 3 years ago

and whatch Skype become bloated and embedded into other applications – time to strt looking elsewhere ……

49. dwayne.deremer1 said 3 years ago

Why is Microsoft interested in buying Skype anyway?

50. danw3108 said 3 years ago

I See what will happen here…

Microsoft’s Call features from Live Messenger will be enhanced, and Skype slowly integrated into Live Messenger, until Skype is no more.

Skype been acquired by anyone is the last thing I wanted to hear when I woke up today; The second Microsoft own this place, I’m Gone. Goodbye from a once-happy, Microsoft-opposed Customer!