Microsoft will acquire Skype

I’m excited to announce that Skype and Microsoft have entered into a definitive agreement whereby Microsoft will acquire Skype for $8.5 billion US. It is an exciting day for all of us at Skype – we’ve taken a significant step towards realising our vision of making the world a better, more connected place.

I believe this acquisition is the very best way to extend Skype’s reach and will allow us to bring real-time video and voice communications to more people around the world than ever before. The combination of Skype and Microsoft will directly benefit all of you who use Skype by ushering in a new era of generative ways for everyone to communicate.

What I love most about this company are the people. Not only the team here at Skype and our partners, but everyone like you who uses Skype every day – you are the people who have made Skype what it is.

Subject to regulatory approvals and customary closing conditions, Skype will operate as a new business division of Microsoft, and I look forward to working with the team as president of Microsoft Skype to write the next chapter of the Skype story. Onwards!

187 thoughts on “Microsoft will acquire Skype

1. radchad291 said 4 years ago

So, what does this mean for us Linux users? Are we going to eventually loose Skype?

2. barrymeadowtop said 4 years ago

So where will that leave Skype for Linux development?

3. lestorck said 4 years ago

Sounds good! Mr. Bates – please get in touch with captioning advocates in the CCAC soon – a volunteer grass-roots international membership. Your exciting news suggests new ideas and products. We’d love to have your voice in our forums. Join from our web, ccacaptioning.org, or email ccacaptioning@gmailcom.
    LS/CCAC

4. marcelleal2 said 4 years ago

“will allow us to bring real-time video and voice communications to more people around the world”. Sorry, you should say “less”.

You’re wrong. The first thing MS will do is to delete any Linux and Nokia version (which I use everyday).

They did that in all the companies they have bought in the past and will do with Skype, to try a monopoly with Windows 7 and Windows Phone 7. It’s MS 101.

I already know I will soon be an ex-Skype user.

5. duda2099 said 4 years ago

They will rename it as “Microsoft Live Skype VoIP Technology for Consumers But Also Premium And Semi-Premium Business Clients Professional Deluxe Edition 3000 XP with Lasers”.

I bet !

6. dj-deskjetc said 4 years ago

My only worry is that prices will go up instead of down and the quality of the skype services will decrease. I suppose only time will tell.

7. vktemp said 4 years ago

Skype was the only messenger that combined video and IM that were encrypted and that were interoperable not only on computers with all types of OSs but also with dedicated devices, TV sets, cellphones, and 3Skype phone that allowed users to call and be called for free from their mobile phone in those countries.

Microsoft on the other hand penetrated the IM market in early 2000s by simply incorporating their own windows messenger into WindowsXP, without including any competitors or initially allowing interoperability. A practice Microsoft is very well known for when its Server and Outlook products are concerned. Live messenger as it is called now (after it changed its name twice) routes all user communications to its Redmond servers, where people are supposed to assume that their privacy is kept. In LANs, with the help of inexpensive hardware and software, people are able to eavesdrop of other people’s IMs without them knowing…

Skype that has a client base in terms of 100s of millions is letting Microsoft take control of the way they communicate, of the way their personal information’s confidentiality is kept, and of the way the Skype’s interoperability with Microsoft’s competitors will be managed.

This is shaping up to be the worst thing that happened in the IT sector since computer manufacturers began relying on deceptive advertising at the expense of R&D.

8. abresas said 4 years ago

So, as Microsoft will definitely screw it up, our team will have to leave Skype soon.

Great.

9. vessosa said 4 years ago

Good bye skype

10. visualidiot said 4 years ago

I guess I’ll be going back to iChat, then.

11. iamniketas said 4 years ago

In all that sad story I can only say “Damn you, Google, for not buying Skype out of that”.

12. i-gcompany said 4 years ago

Hope Microsoft will do a good job with Skype!

13. hamtaro98 said 4 years ago

“…will directly benefit all of you who use Skype…”. tell me!

14. puzzleland said 4 years ago

What a bad news ! what’s wrong with you guys ? Microsoft ? Seriously ?!!!

15. kunoichidee said 4 years ago

What does this mean for us behind a Mac? Will you still consider Mac users as an important segment??

16. simas.96 said 4 years ago

What about linux? Will they stop developing for it?

17. rickstv said 4 years ago

I’m sad to hear this.

18. pravishiva1 said 4 years ago

I have set up a website to organise a BOYCOTT of Skype, to stop the Usurping Power of Microsoft. You have lost an enormous amount of goodwill, if not total confidence of consumers. By becoming a Microsoft SLAVE you have lost……many consumers already.
    It seems only money counts in your capitalist mindset. The word will be spread, thank you and until never again !!

19. losteskimo said 4 years ago

Love SKYPE, been using it since it was SKYPER, but have mixed emotions about this sale to microsoft. I hope it works out

20. jackmiller341 said 4 years ago

good for you! but are macs still going to be able to use it

21. paranoide.schizophrenia said 4 years ago

I hope the product’s quality gets improved! Nonetheless a Skype branded from Microsoft seems weird to me, hope they don’t include ads like they have done with Live Messenger. Skype is one of the few salvations of Microsoft after Google being a big competitor.

22. guille125 said 4 years ago

Doesnt sound so good for US, mac users, lets hope you dont abandond us.

23. ian_hawdon said 4 years ago

Does this mean it’s now safe to say that the Linux version is now officially dead? Very disappointed if it is!

24. raket94 said 4 years ago

Great, you made me cry..

25. jolanta.m.feliciano said 4 years ago

You are happy about it? Really? Another corporate monopoly of Microsoft!!!! Did you ever realize that many people signed up for Skype as an alternative to other means of communication. Now even Skype will be controlled by American corporation; we will have to pay fees on everything (standard Microsoft practice); pay taxes on it; allow government access to our conversations and contacts. It is a shame that Skype would sell its soul for American dollars.

26. johnh123456 said 4 years ago

So much for video calling rolling out for android phones.

27. meowwang said 4 years ago

$8.5 billion! I could only spend $1 on my breakfast.

28. mcbaumann said 4 years ago

… and no doubt it will become increasingly difficult to use skype with anything but a Windows-based system. Time to start looking for an alternative!

29. mitch.clayton.cragg said 4 years ago

‘Microsoft Skype’, hmmmm? … Well, to be honest, this precise ‘concept’ crossed my mind a few years ago… when I was wondering which IM and video-chat platform I was going to use as my future business (and family/friends) online communications standard. – Of course, I chose Skype… and have advocated the use thereof to everyone I know since then.

As I specialise in PC-based communications – and enabling others to more purposefully take advantage of their desk-top tools – I couldn’t be happier. Now I just wonder whether MS will drop their ‘MSN Messenger’ in favour of a proven favourite? Well done and good luck, guys!

30. shepperd1 said 4 years ago

Good luck to you. Now PLEASE put on somebodies desk the fact that Android tablet users are extreemly anxious to have video support for Skype. With the resources available this could be up and running in a very short time. I hope someone is listening. Obviously Android is a serious “threat” to Microsoft but on the otherhand it never hurts to create good will. In the long run this will pay off.

31. mr.elliott97 said 4 years ago

NOO! microsoft is fuckin’ up every thing the do !

32. jd_mccoy said 4 years ago

This is horrible. Im sure microsoft will start charging us or at the very least they will redesign skype so that there are a million toolbars. Heres an idea … only being able to use Microsoft webcams. Talk about a deal with the devil. Sad to see the change.

33. funkytux said 4 years ago

does this mean the development of Skype for Linux will be stopped after the acquisition? did you make an agreement so that SfL will be still available after the deal?

34. pfjtaylor said 4 years ago

I’m a Mac user. And I have a bad feeling about this.

35. jaywinx said 4 years ago

I guess that means bye bye Linux client That also means bye bye Skype for me.

36. guillame_trst said 4 years ago

That’s cool.
    I love skype, i love microsoft, that’s cool. -.-”

37. cd.word.jones said 4 years ago

Say it ain’t so!
    Why Microsoft?!?!?!?!?!

Anyone but Microsoft. Please. Skype will never be the same [and not in a good way].

38. trymbagger said 4 years ago

Tony: give me, and other mac users, some peace of mind: Will Microsoft Skype show the same level of commitment to development on the OS X and iOS platforms as before?

39. keitaro_gabliaven said 4 years ago

Please don’t cover Skype in Ads, the fact its clean, fast, efficient, safe and perfect for the corporate environment is why many of the business users, use it. Its the “adult” messenger… I wish Microsoft all the best on their purchase.

40. zippomon said 4 years ago

Ugh, I don’t like the sounds of this what-so-ever… the Mac and Linux versions of Skype are already lagging behind. This can’t help at all.

41. marknotton.com said 4 years ago

Does this mean Microsoft are going to limit Skypes functionality across Apple products? I hope not.

42. bgb_br said 4 years ago

Sad news what will happen to the Linux client?

43. remi.alvado said 4 years ago

Good news for Skype and Microsoft. I hope you will continue to develop Skype clients on every major platforms : desktop (Windows, MacOs and Linux) and mobile (WP7, Android and iOS).

44. aml240sx said 4 years ago

What will happen to Linux client?

45. jshado_1 said 4 years ago

If this happens I will discontinue use of skype. Microsoft’s products are some of the worst on the market, and it is all but certain that skype will be dragged down with them.

I currently use skype with clients, and it is reliable, but it very unlikely that this will continue if Microsoft acquires skype.

It is very unfortunate that you are selling yourself to such a sleazy and unreliable company.

46. ian.smith663 said 4 years ago

I’ve always felt comfortable using Microsoft (Windows), so should be a good result for customers

47. leonharbour said 4 years ago

This is bad news of the year.

48. wtnick said 4 years ago

What does this mean for Android/Linux support?

49. thedah19 said 4 years ago

Hope it stays free so we dont have to pay

50. zhukov_alex said 4 years ago

Are they going to kill Mac Skype and call it Windows Messenger?