Skype 2.1 Beta for Linux
I’m glad to announce to you Skype 2.1 Beta for Linux.
Many Linux users have been patiently waiting for it over the past few months.
Start downloading it now. Please remember that it is a beta release of software, which means that it can sometimes have its own way of doing things. If you see it doing its own thing then please let us know about it in our forums or just comment this blog post.
With this new release we have worked a lot on catching up with Windows and Mac client with the main features. In this version you can take advantage of High Quality Video calls, Sending SMS, Skype’s own Silk audio codec, edit and remove chat message and typing notification. Last, but not least importantly for many Linux users we have introduced a support for PulseAudio, what you have been asking from us.
In addition to these mentioned bigger new features you will see there also a lot of smaller things added. More importantly, many behaviours have been fine tuned and polished to make your life easier when using Skype.
See also the full list of changes and known issues of the newly released build 22.214.171.124 below:
* Logging in and out with a different user name may cause Skype to crash.
* When PulseAudio is enabled in the audio settings, only that specific entry will be available; to change the settings, use the PulseAudio manager tool that is bundled with your distribution.
* Contact list
* Newly added contacts are not found by QuickFilter until Skype restart.
* Newly bookmarked chats are not found by QuickFilter until Skype restart.
* It is not possible to drag multiple contacts to a group.
* When two users write a message in a chat at the same time, your own message may not be shown immediately; it will appear again when the next message is posted.
* “Find in chat” options are not honored.
* Timestamps are not formatted according to local settings.
* If a chat message arrives out of order, it can cause Skype to crash in some circumstances.
* If a chat message arrives out of order, the day divider can be misplaced.
* When making calls without enough credit, the error message may not indicate this correctly.
* Making calls with PulseAudio 0.9.10 works, however with reduced quality. We recommend updating to 0.9.15 or higher.
* Making calls with a bluetooth headset and BlueZ 3.xx works, however with reduced quality. We recommend upgrading to BlueZ 4.xx. See the BlueZ website for proper configuration.
* If PulseAudio crashes during a call, Skype will also crash after some seconds.
* Calls that use PulseAudio may occasionally send noise from our side, removing Mic Boost and/or moving recording levels may fix the issue.
* File transfer
* Refusing multiple files at the same time may not always work.
* Accepting screen sharing from Mac/Windows clients might cause Skype to crash.
* feature: High Quality Video support.
* feature: Skype’s SILK audio codec.
* feature: PulseAudio support.
* feature: SMS sending support.
* feature: Chat messages editing/removing support.
* feature: Contact groups support.
* feature: Typing notification in chat.
* feature: Chat picture support (add/change/remove) for group conversations.
* feature: Mood messages are visible in contact list and tooltip.
* feature: Video/Mobile icons are visible in contact list.
* feature: Bookmarked Chats are visible in contact list.
* feature: Contact labels/tags.
* improvement: Right-clicking on the user name in the chat will open contact menu.
* improvement: A day divider is added to the chat. Timestamps are shorter for old messages.
* improvement: Clickable links in mood message.
* improvement: Enlarged tray icon, also showing number of missed events.
* improvement: Flag button is replaced by button showing number of missed events.
* improvement: Updated ALSA device detection, nicer to USB headsets.
* improvement: Birthday reminders are now displayed 24 hours before birthday.
* improvement: New events panel size adaptive to new events count.
* improvement: Quick Filter speedup optimization for contact list.
* improvement: Popup button to clean the quick filter.
* improvement: Added “Away/Not available since” tooltip for contacts.
* improvement: The menu key can also be used on a contact list to display the contact’s menu.
* improvement: Calling phone numbers of a contact can be done using context menu.
* improvement: Added flags to all country selection drop-downs.
* improvement: Your own chat message author’s name is shown with slightly darker color.
* improvement: Show reason of leaving the chat to other members.
* improvement: Warning dialog when cancelling file transfer.
* improvement: A chat event is opened only when double clicked in the event panel.
* improvement: Links are now clickable in about me window.
* bugfix: Make “/alertsoff” command really silent. Only hint at new messages is that the chat moves to top of events history.
* bugfix: Qt4.4+: Two way video call did not work.
* bugfix: No visual feedback when holding fullscreen video call.
* bugfix: Removed double size video window for small screens.
* bugfix: Fix for sound event being played over PSTN pre-answer sound.
* bugfix: Make sure that the answer button is enabled in the call window, if call popup is disabled.
* bugfix: Change call button label.
* bugfix: Tooltip for DTMF dialpad button now changes appropriately.
* bugfix: SkypeOut Contacts avatar now displays a country flag.
* bugfix: High CPU usage when using ALSA “null” plugin as soundcard.
* bugfix: Undisclosed number display in popup event.
* bugfix: Disable unusable chat elements when we leave or are removed from a chat.
* bugfix: Animated emoticons now work better with Qt4.5.
* bugfix: Remove white background and borders in emoticon selector.
* bugfix: Start group conversation/sending file with/to multiple phone numbers is allowed.
* bugfix: Chat text selection issues on Qt4.5. Improved text selection.
* bugfix: Links with Cyrillic characters are truncated.
* bugfix: Chat doesn’t render properly when enabling or disabling emoticons.
* bugfix: Open chat window on current virtual desktop.
* bugfix: Name identical to your own is not repeated in chat.
* bugfix: Undelivered icon disappears if you retrieve chat history.
* bugfix: Popups for opened chats don’t raise chat window.
* bugfix: Update HashLinkURL to allow letters and hyphens being checked.
* bugfix: Status and avatar tooltips in chat window not localized.
* bugfix: Old chat synced messages are shown out of order.
* bugfix: Triple click in a chat should continue to mark lines.
* bugfix: When copy and pasting from chat window, replace “…” with author.
* bugfix: Visuals change when user joins a chat directly.
* bugfix: “Add to chat” window should have contacts ordered by name only.
* bugfix: Double click should select words in chats, triple click should highlight whole message.
* bugfix: Percent characters in URIs are converted
* bugfix: Right-click menu is being featured in the chat.
* bugfix: Chat 20x resize (text wrap) speeds up optimization.
* bugfix: Chat resizes memory leak.
* bugfix: Further speed-ups when loading previous history.
* bugfix: Contact list doesn’t have a window class.
* bugfix: Double click opening a chat is now a default action.
* bugfix: Missing visual feedback when hovering over “Add a phone number” link.
* bugfix: Context menu is not updated for authorized contacts.
* bugfix: Blocked contacts are not added immediately to the opened options window.
* bugfix: Unblocking more than one SkypeOut numbers from option dialog doesn’t work.
* bugfix: Display a message when Quick Filter search does not return any result.
* bugfix: Popup’s status icon is wrong when adding a contact
* bugfix: Close authorization request popup after action has been taken.
* bugfix: Contact card drag operation starts with first click.
* bugfix: Changed names/tooltips of buttons in File Transfer dialog.
* bugfix: Does not create missed events for files transferred while in “Do Not Disturb” mode.
* bugfix: File sending progress was incorrect after removing/cleaning up sends.
* bugfix: When sending a single file to a person doesn’t show the size.
* bugfix: Ctrl+W doesn’t work for file sending window.
* bugfix: Clear authorization request events always after user action.
* bugfix: Pressing enter/return or double clicking on a birthday event triggers the default action.
* bugfix: Birthdays in the event list are not ordered.
* bugfix: Remember the previous status of recent events when returning from history view.
* bugfix: Added a length check for all profile fields of a contact.
* bugfix: Improved layout of the sign-in window.
* bugfix: Improved layout of the main window.
* bugfix: Buttons in options dialog are now highlighted when hovered.
* bugfix: Buttons in “Say Hello to…” dialog are highlighted when hovered.
* bugfix: Improved pressed button appearance with Qt4.5.
* bugfix: Background is no longer brightened when buttons are highlighted.
* bugfix: Gray buttons were sometimes only partly drawn.
* bugfix: The user profile window was partially hidden on netbooks.
* bugfix: Close button did not work correctly on send contact window.
* bugfix: While restoring the Skype application from a system tray, it was not restoring in front of other windows.
* bugfix: Auto sign-in checkbox in the Change Password dialog doesn’t work.
* bugfix: In FVWM2 and Fluxbox, profile window doesn’t open.
* bugfix: “–dbpath” and “–pipelogin” don’t work together from terminal.
* bugfix: Search friends initially returns an incomplete list with clean profile.
* bugfix: Doesn’t show dotted focus rectangle where unnecessary around UI elements.
* bugfix: Avoid double-sign-in issue causing unexpected UI behaviour (like calls not working or doubling call windows).
* localization: Translate Norwegian dialects “nn”/”nb” to “no” as well.
* localization: Making a few more strings locale-aware.
* localization: Updated languages: Brazilian Portuguese – Fabio Roselet, Bulgarian – Nikolay Filipov, Estonian – Marit Mesipuu, French – Cédric Lamouche, German – Claudius Henrichs, Italian – Marco Cimmino, Lithuanian – Viktoras Kriukovas, Polish – Karol Szastok, Romanian – Péter Henning, Russian – Pavel Shevchuk, Turkish – Ömer Emin Dede.