Introducing Skype 3.0 Beta for Windows
Skype 3.0 Beta for Windows is now available. Please download it here and give us your feedback on what you love and what you hate.
This will be a major milestone release, comparable to the launch of Skype 2.0 with video calling that came out about a year ago. Here are just some of the major features we’ve added to 3.0.
]]>* New look and feel - This is the first thing that you’ll notice when you start using Skype 3.0 beta, and the first major update to Skype’s interface on Windows in a long time. We’ve made it much easier to find all of the tools and features you need, when you need them.
* Public chats – Public Chats are text chats that anyone can create, host and join. Hosts of the chat have moderation controls, public chats can be promoted directly from a link or banner on your webpage, e-mail or any other place and users can join through these promotions without being “added”.
* Click to call – Now you can browse the web, find a phone number you want to call and simply click to start a SkypeOut call to that number. This is thanks to a phone number recognition tool which automatically convert phone numbers on web pages into Skype links (if you’re using Internet Explorer or Firefox).
* Extras – Want to do more in Skype like play games, share your desktop on calls and use a whiteboard to make notes on Skype calls?
* Skypecasts have moved into Beta from their previous Preview edition with Skype 3.0 beta. In Skype 3.0, you can browse the current Skypecasts straight in Skype on the Live tab. When you join or host one, the Skypecast will run within a separate tab where you have all the host or participant controls.
* Enterprise compatibility – Skype 3.0 is more more enterprise-friendly with improved enterprise compatibility, easier installation and security features.