Making skype links work
So here’s a short description of how to make skype: links in your browser work.
Applies to Mozilla (Firefox) and Konqueror. Assumes you have skype-action-handler installed in /usr/local/bin – adjust path as appropriate.
]]>### For Mozilla (Firefox)
* Open Mozilla (Firefox)
* Type about:config in the address-bar to open the configuration editor.
* Use the scroll bar to navigate to the network.protocol… section.
* Check if the network protocol section includes a network.protocol-handler.app.skype key.
* If a key exists, edit it. If no key exists, create a key by right-clicking on any key and selecting New -> String from the pull-down menu.
* Enter network.protocol-handler.app.skype as the key name.
* Enter /usr/local/bin/skype-action-handler as the key value.
### For Konqueror
Locate the KDE services directory (it most probably will be ~/.kde/share/services/ for you). In this directory, create a file named skype.protocol. Add the following code to this file:
When you restart Konqueror, the action handler will work.
### For Opera
(courtesy of ZennouRyuu)
* Click on Tools>>Preferences>>Advanced>>Programs then click “Add”
* In the “Protocol” field enter skype and then select “Open With Other Application” and in the box enter /usr/local/bin/skype-action-handler
That is it, it works straight away.
### For GNOME-aware browsers (Epiphany, Firefox 1.5)
(courtesy of sebi)
Run the following two commands:
/usr/bin/gconftool-2 -s -t string /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/skype/command ‘/usr/local/bin/skype-action-handler “%s”‘
/usr/bin/gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/skype/enabled true
The changes should become effective immediately.