Skype for Pocket PC 2.1 Beta
The convenience of a mobile with the simplicity of free calling.
Great news, a new version of Skype for Pocket PC is now available, which you can download from here or before you do that, why not find out a little more about the cool new features and some great ways to get the most out of Skype on a Pocket PC.
]]>Key features in Skype for Windows Mobile 2.1 beta
• Skype calling features: Skype main calling features are supported including free Skype calls, support for SkypeOut™, SkypeIn™, voicemail and call forwarding.
• Improved look and feel: As easy and familiar as using Skype on a computer, the new Skype for Pocket PC includes an enhanced SkypeOut dial pad for Pocket PC devices;
• One click Skype access: A Skype icon on the device home screen allows you to view and call contacts much more easily;
• Multi-person chat: You can now have multi-person chat sessions using animated emoticons with colleagues, friends and family and when you’re offline, chat messages will automatically update the next time you log in;
• Enhanced contact list: See your contacts’ avatars and mood messages; and
• Profile personalization: Take a picture with the camera on your device and immediately update your profile.
Great reasons to use Skype on a Pocket PC device
You don’t have to be in front of a computer, carry your laptop or wait for it to boot to make Skype calls. Skype for Pocket PC gives you the freedom to make free calls anywhere. All you need is a Pocket PC and a high speed wireless internet connection. Here’s just a few ways that it can make your life easier.
Whilst Abroad: Avoid expensive mobile phone bills while roaming. Check your hotel offers free or low cost WiFi and stay in touch with work, friends and family by connecting to Skype in your hotel or any public WiFi hotspot. Most airports also offer WiFi, so stay connected to your Skype contacts on the go. With SkypeIn, people back home can call you on your Windows Mobile phone paying local rates too.
In your home: Bad reception on your mobile at home? Take advantage of your home broadband connection (make it WiFi) and use Skype for free. Get a SkypeIn number and people who aren’t on Skype can call you on a regular landline number. Alternatively, where your PC is in the study or a different room, Skype for Pocket PC gives you the freedom to talk for free, chat anywhere in your home.
On a train or plane: You can even get WiFi on some trains and planes, so connect to the network and make free Skype calls whether you’re under a tunnel or in the air.
Living in or visiting the USA? Make free calls to landlines and mobiles in the US and Canada whenever you have WiFi access Also, why pay to receive calls on your US mobile? Get a US SkypeIn number here and receive calls for free whenever you have WiFi coverage.
Pocket PC devices that support Skype
Skype runs on most Pocket PC with a minimum 400Mhz processor with a high speed internet connection over WiFi or 3G.
A list of popular device that support Skype can be found here
I hope that this was useful and please be sure that the Skype for Windows Mobile team are working hard to make this product even better.
We’re really interested to know what you think about this latest version – what we’re doing well and what we could do better, so do let us know what you think by visiting our Pocket PC Beta area.